23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 10-01-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSX-S1000F vs Ninja 1000

Can't help but feel the GSX-S1000 is a direct response to what Kawasaki did to the Ninja 1000 recently. Essentially neutering the N1K into a comfy sport tourer. Ok maybe neuter is a mean term to apply, but with the ZX-10R and ZX-6R more than carrying the sporty torch for Team Green a supersporty N1K would of been superfluous at best...

The move has been successful for Kawasaki, now lets see if the Zook can enjoy the same fruit albeit from a package that includes much older components...

post #2 of 39 Old 01-06-2015, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I personally think they will do very well, Suzuki is a well respected manufacturer and has a loyal fanbase, the S-1000 and 1000F models should do vey well against their competition.

I dont agree with the 'older components' comment, the engines are based on the 2005-2008 K1 engine, but i highly doubt Suzuki had 1000's of engine sitting in a warehouse for the last 6 or so years waiting to be used. The more realistic option is they built engines based on those blueprints as that engine was fantastic. An example if this method is what harley Davidson did with the V-rod, they took their V-twin race engine and modified it for street use. I have not heard anyone refer to the V-rod as a 'parts bin' or similar. All manufacturers rework and reuse their technology to some extent.
trickytruckertrev likes this.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-08-2015, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetFightinGixxer View Post
I personally think they will do very well, Suzuki is a well respected manufacturer and has a loyal fanbase, the S-1000 and 1000F models should do vey well against their competition.

I dont agree with the 'older components' comment, the engines are based on the 2005-2008 K1 engine, but i highly doubt Suzuki had 1000's of engine sitting in a warehouse for the last 6 or so years waiting to be used. The more realistic option is they built engines based on those blueprints as that engine was fantastic. An example if this method is what harley Davidson did with the V-rod, they took their V-twin race engine and modified it for street use. I have not heard anyone refer to the V-rod as a 'parts bin' or similar. All manufacturers rework and reuse their technology to some extent.
I didn't mean old as in sitting around old, I meant old as in without significant update

post #4 of 39 Old 01-09-2015, 04:21 AM

Fair enough, sorry to misquote you.

Hasnt the engine received various upgrades/improvments?? I thought it had.
post #5 of 39 Old 01-09-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Fair enough, sorry to misquote you.

Hasnt the engine received various upgrades/improvments?? I thought it had.
No worries

From what I understand GSXS1000 uses the 2005 K5. '05 was the last significant update that engine received, the R saw a minor update in 07 or something but it was nothing to phone home about...
post #6 of 39 Old 01-11-2015, 08:53 AM

Cool, it must of been a great engine in 05 for it to still be competitive now. Its got more than enough power for me.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Cool, it must of been a great engine in 05 for it to still be competitive now. Its got more than enough power for me.
I think its more a function of Suzuki facing hardship just after the credit crunch. They canned their MotoGP efforts just after as well...

K1 debuted in 01, K3 update was in '03. K5 update was in '05, minor update for K7 in '07...

They were following a 2 year cycle until 2008 kicked them in the balls...

Oh for sure the engine is still absolutely rock solid, its just old compared to most of its rivals (of course tried and true is never a 'bad' thing)
post #8 of 39 Old 01-13-2015, 07:39 AM

You learn something new everyday, i had no idea suzuki had financial difficulties. Credit to them for perservering through it. Lets hope the new GSX-S series is a winner for them.
trickytruckertrev likes this.
post #9 of 39 Old 06-20-2015, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
I'm new into the world of metrics, defected from Harley a year ago for my V-Strom and hope to add a 1000F as soon they hit the showroom floors although I do love the Ninja 1000 as well. If for whatever reason the GSXS doesn't fitme, it will be the Ninja.

I too didn't know anything about Suzuki having financial problems. Seems they are doing well now and make a great product.
post #10 of 39 Old 06-20-2015, 04:30 PM

I think everyone had troubles in the late 2000's but it hit Suzuki the hardest for sure. Its definitely true that Suzuki is due to update some of the tech in their flagship sportbikes but I think they chose the K5 engine instead of a more modern engine with good reason. The long stroke and strong mid range are ideal for the S bikes. I think these bikes would not be as successful if built around a current GSXR 1000 engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page