LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSXS1000 F vs the N

Hi Guy's
I've been considering a future GSXS purchase.
The new 750 ticks a lot of the boxes for me, but in this Forum there seem's to be no Members view's on comparison test rides of the 2 GSXS1000 variants.

Most people know if they want one or the other, but I am asking for opinions from those who have test ridden both type's of our bikes.
In Australia at least, the F has a different (lower by 1 notch) of the rear spring with all the other settings the same (owners handbook).
In previous Suzuki's, faired has been promoted as a Highway bike and the Naked as City bike (Stunter as shown in the basement shot promo video, drifting)

I have now (I think) found the ideal suspension softening settings for my N to feel balanced with the softer set rear spring to be an Naked F clone.
So who has feedback on riding both back to back ? Other than the screen and extra wind protection with the F, is there any noticeable handling / comfort difference for you ????

My Road Tax Registration Fee's are due in a few days, so I am line ball to return my 1000 back to the Dealer on for sale and wait for the hopefully "improved 2018/9" White F in 6 months to a year, which will have delicately smooth running, no F1 flutter sounds and no fuel cut induced 'snatchy throttle' syndrome.
This Beta Testing is over, Suzuki - don't repeat this again if you know what's good for Sales.
The word is on the street now about this bike, unfairly perhaps, but you knew that at sign off, didn't you Suzuki ? And still released it.

My 2015 VFR1200F is a better bike in suspension and euro 3 tune than the GSXS1000, but the windscreen is poorly designed and the clip on bars are too low for me now in life, so it is for the chop in good time next year or so as my electric scooter with the orange flag on a pole gets ever closer.

Comments Please,

Rob.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 07-27-2017 at 04:03 AM.
post #2 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
lifes short change is good.....you might have a quick sale and move on the something else...there all a drug just different colors
post #3 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Kassu
Hello Rob,

I think you should read this post before you will return your old naked GSX_S1000.

As far as I can see, it's the 2nd owner of a new "improved 2018/9" GSX_S1000 complaining about the throttle problems, which are the same as we know them from the beginning.

K.

Annuit coeptis

Last edited by Kassu; 07-26-2017 at 02:44 PM.

post #4 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassu View Post
Hello Rob,

I think you should read this post before you will return your old naked GSX_S1000.

As far as I can see, it's the 2nd owner of a new "improved 2018/9" GSX_S1000 complaining about the throttle problems, which are the same as we know them from the beginning.

K.
Hi Kassu,
I've slept on it and it will go back to the Recycling Centre today.

I've been a really regular caller there over the last 20 years, with some 90 new bikes in and out.
The shortest 1 month, and the longest 4 years. What I have discovered for myself is that they are just repackages of the same formula's.
The GSXS is actually one of the few Suzuki's to bend, if not break the rigid mold. The 2 stroke RGV250 RR was a standout too, pity we didn't get the last update with the electric leg starter, like Europa.

Reading yesterday that the next wave of emission's, Euro 6, is planned for 01 Jan 2020.
3 years time and with the GSXS1K coming out in 2014, I think Suzuki will keep this tune 'as is' and just soldier along and then drop it completely.
We all know that the 600 cc turbo is under development for the last 4 years and that's the future for high power Sports Bikes, till Electric Bikes take over completely by 2040 for all non hybrid motored passenger vehicles & bikes in the Euro & Brexited UK.

From what I have tested, lower output meaning simpler bikes of the Learner class seem less bothered in meeting the emission's, and at my stage of life at 65, that meaning the bodies wearing out, and riding for 1 hour out and 1 hr back home most days that class will suit as the second bike.
I am also considering the SV650, DL650 and GSXS750.
I've had a few of the SV650's and ridden the latest in Aust. Learner low powered 35 kw (the only 1 offered here) and it was fine and makes the induction roar and has the GSXS speedo too - A mini Naked 1000 less traction control.
A 35 kw Honda CB500F Naked may be suitable too; the 500X I rode this week was quote surprising powerful and still pulling hard at 100 kph.

I am dubious about windscreened bikes unless I can find a demo first, as I have been burned by 'styling over function'.
So a DL1000 V Strom would be nice to own as it rides well, but the last version was a shocker with windscreen turbulence from 30 kph.
The Wee Strom 650 was better, @ 60 kph, and now Suzuki are yelling out it got a 'better' screen.

la revedere, but not gone from this Forum !
Rob.
Kassu and mike d like this.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 07-27-2017 at 04:02 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
I wasn't going to comment because I haven't ridden both the N and F (I own the F), but that hasn't stopped some others and I have some comments related to Slower and Slower's Wee Strom references.
I owned a Wee-Strom for about 4 years and put many highway miles on it. The screen was okay, but never great, and I always fought buffeting at certain speeds. I probably could have solved that with a really big screen, but those are ugly and kill your gas mileage. Years later, I bought a Kawi EX500, and fell in love with the "protection up to the helmet" approach that it offered me. That's one of the reasons I chose the "F", and it has worked very well for me. I've had to invest a little more in helmets (well... actually, my favorite summer helmet I won in an online give-away - like that EVER happens).
I never fight buffeting, and for me, riding with a high quality helmet on the F in the wind is tolerable for long miles. Consequently, I'm really glad I got the F, and it has just been a complete blast to ride in every situation I've thrown at it.
Slower and Slower likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 11:08 PM
mcm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I wasn't going to comment because I haven't ridden both the N and F (I own the F), but that hasn't stopped some others and I have some comments related to Slower and Slower's Wee Strom references.
I owned a Wee-Strom for about 4 years and put many highway miles on it. The screen was okay, but never great, and I always fought buffeting at certain speeds. I probably could have solved that with a really big screen, but those are ugly and kill your gas mileage. Years later, I bought a Kawi EX500, and fell in love with the "protection up to the helmet" approach that it offered me. That's one of the reasons I chose the "F", and it has worked very well for me. I've had to invest a little more in helmets (well... actually, my favorite summer helmet I won in an online give-away - like that EVER happens).
I never fight buffeting, and for me, riding with a high quality helmet on the F in the wind is tolerable for long miles. Consequently, I'm really glad I got the F, and it has just been a complete blast to ride in every situation I've thrown at it.
I guess being short is a plus, the V Strom screen worked great with me.

The gsxs F works great as well (in heavy rain riding all day, and good air flow through the leathers in the summer).

Have always looked for what is good on any bike, and rolled with it while making the proper adjustments to fit the needs/purpose.

Suzuki reliability!
mike d likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-26-2017, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm View Post
I guess being short is a plus, the V Strom screen worked great with me.

The gsxs F works great as well (in heavy rain riding all day, and good air flow through the leathers in the summer).

Have always looked for what is good on any bike, and rolled with it while making the proper adjustments to fit the needs/purpose.

Suzuki reliability!
I'm with you on this one. There is definitely a "roll with it" attitude that goes a long ways, but it also becomes a game of removing the "pain points". I've been an endurance cyclist for years (bicycles), You can't do well at that without being aware of and removing what on the bike sucks the most and fixing it, until the pain isn't a problem. I'm sure iron butt riders have the same mindset. For bicycling it's fit, position, contact points (shoes, saddle, bars). It's really the same for a motorcycle, but the adjustments cost a lot more. It's different for each person and that causes a lot of debate and probably accounts for why some people are zealots over bike X, while some people are zealots of bike Y.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-27-2017, 02:07 AM
mcm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't go wrong with either one...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Hi Guy's
I've been considering a future GSXS purchase.
The new 750 ticks a lot of the boxes for me, but in this Forum there seem's to be no Members view's on comparison test rides of the 2 GSXS1000 variants.

Most people know if they want one or the other, but I am asking for opinions from those who have test ridden both type's of our bikes.
In Australia at least, the F has a different (lower by 1 notch) of the rear spring with all the other settings the same (owners handbook).
In previous Suzuki's, faired has been promoted as a Highway bike and the Naked as City bike (Stunter as shown in the basement shot promo video, drifting)

I have now (I think) found the ideal suspension softening settings for my N to feel balanced with the softer set rear spring to be an Naked F clone.
So who has feedback on riding both back to back ? Other than the screen and extra wind protection with the F, is there any noticeable handling / comfort difference for you ????

My Road Tax Registration Fee's are due in a few days, so I am line ball to return my 1000 back to the Dealer on consignment sale and wait for the hopefully "improved 2018/9" White F in 6 months to a year, which will have delicately smooth running, no F1 flutter sounds and no fuel cut induced 'snatchy throttle' syndrome.
This Beta Testing is over, Suzuki - don't repeat this again if you know what's good for Sales.
The word is on the street now about this bike, unfairly perhaps, but you knew that at sign off, didn't you Suzuki ? And still released it.

My 2015 VFR1200F is a better bike in suspension and euro 3 tune than the GSXS1000, but the windscreen is poorly designed and the clip on bars are too low for me now in life, so it is for the chop in good time next year or so as my electric scooter with the orange flag on a pole gets ever closer.

Comments Please,

Rob.
Hi Rob,

For the bit that i know, the difference is the typical of most sister bikes.
1000 a bit more power, a bit more weight. I have had many 750's/850's and this gsxs 1000 F is not that much different (to me any way), it sits nice and low (one of the few bikes that actually have both feet almost flat on the ground (with boots).

Am a short dude, and as much that have always loved the VFR line . It never felt as a good fit for my body as the GSXS 1000 F which fits me like a glove.

Here is a cool youtube video that you may like (gsxs N 1000)
ALSO NOTE: watch his hands and rear brake, He never uses the clutch (feathering) or have a throttle issue , some front brake and a lot of rear brake

The crash guards are pretty cool, am going to make my self a pair (I like them better than sliders).

2016 DUNLOP JAPAN MotoGymkhana [C1] H2 GSX-S1000

Rhyno54, Beaker and gsxsdave like this.

Last edited by mcm; 07-27-2017 at 02:21 AM.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-27-2017, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks mcm,
Proves the value in buying the Red & Black colour is the handling best choice.
That's another plus for the R & Blk. Who would guess it held a full hand of cards.

Yes, he makes it look easy. I see that he has slicks for tyres, and the bike has the cat cracker and exhaust SET valve removed.
I wonder if the rear tyre has a 55 rather than the 50 to get the quicker turn in.
I've seen that course with Police Honda ST1300's, they are heavy beasts; at least my one that slipped at the rear tyre on pebbles on a hill slope while manoeuvring in a carpark on tippy toes. I renamed it Hernia rather than Honda after that one.

Had a sit on the new Wee Strom 650 in bright yellow spoked wheeler today too, just arrived in the shop.
Suzuki have improved the finish over the last year similar one by a long way. No new model DL thousand though yet there.
As usual, no demo available. The 1000F had a Matte Gray demo when I bought mine, but it wasn't registered and no one there said it was a demo.

So when I had mine for a few months and wondered about a F ride, that bike was sold and sales of the 1000 nose dived, so no replacement demo's now a year later.
Same for the Honda VFR800X. Just got the VFR1200F and then a 800X demo popped up. Couldn't be bothered asking for ride then, it sold and none since.

That new red GSXS750 wasn't playing fair this afternoon.
Sitting in the corner of the showroom, and the only bike getting the Sun's rays on it to enhance the lustrous Red paint sparkle like a solar spotlight.

"Come on Rob, take me home - lets play together!"
Sorry My Girl, the 1000 N has to leave for a new home first. The Wee Strom just smiled "OK then".

My Dealer has a tip off from the Suzuki National Distributor, that the GSXS1000 is getting some newer styled panels very soon. Different to what the other Markets are referring to as the 2018 model. New colours for Australia too. The Au web page should get an update very soon.
It is very similar to the newer 750 look.
I said November and he said a lot sooner than that, so perhaps more new Members here, heh?

Rob.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 07-27-2017 at 04:56 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-27-2017, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
:never touched the clutch proving there is no fueling issue,s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page