GSX-S1000 vs GSX-S1000F vs MT09 vs MT09 TRACER GT - Page 2 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 05-23-2019, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
The naked model still looks to have some wind protection in the lower torso area compared to a completely naked bike. Do you notice it? What about the downforce they claim the F version generates? Is that worth considering for better handling?
Apparently more downforce at higher speeds. I've had it up to 220km/hr and its really stable.

Ask yourself though. . How often are you riding at that speed? For the street i don't think it matters either way. The fairing also helps keep water and bug guts off of the rider. I bought the F but could have just as easily taken the naked and been happy.
mike d likes this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-23-2019, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainus83 View Post
Apparently more downforce at higher speeds. I've had it up to 220km/hr and its really stable.

Ask yourself though. . How often are you riding at that speed? For the street i don't think it matters either way. The fairing also helps keep water and bug guts off of the rider. I bought the F but could have just as easily taken the naked and been happy.
I agree! They are both the same underlying MC. The engine, frame, drive train are identical. The engine is a freaking bulletproof gem. I prefer the F, but if I was going by looks alone, ... maybe not.
I still just love my F!
post #13 of 18 Old 05-23-2019, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainus83 View Post

I agree! They are both the same underlying MC. The engine, frame, drive train are identical. The engine is a freaking bulletproof gem. I prefer the F, but if I was going by looks alone, ... maybe not.
I still just love my F! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG]
To be honest I'm not a fan of the look from directly in front. Every other angle looks sweet, to me at least. A tail tidy and flush indicators work wonders too. What a great bike and a joy to own.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.

post #14 of 18 Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Garage
I think a small screen is really helpful if you are riding at higher speeds as it'll give you something to tuck in behind, but if I wanted to ride tucked all day I'd have just bought a gixxer. I love my naked GSX-S on the back roads just having fun, and no screen needed for that and the air flow is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
I've chopped the screen on my FJR
Haven't come across many who chop the screen on the FJR. I saw one at a meet and it got my wheels turning. Another rider gave me a screen he'd accidentally knocked off and sent across the driveway that was all scratched up. Pic below after I'd sanded the scratches out but not polished it up clear again yet. Still need to do that. I'm torn on it though and while I have a barn door for winter riding I really think I prefer the stock screen as it does seem to give more of a laminar flow. I'll probably give the shorty screen another try this summer.

OP, nice comparison on a bunch of bikes. Based on your review I'm surprised you didn't end up with the Tracer GT, I know a few folks with them and they are very happy, but then again, they didn't test ride the beast of a GSX-S before buying either.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #15 of 18 Old 05-27-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies people

I think the downforce theory is made up... think about wings on cars and planes - you need a wing/winglet with air flow tuned on each side to generate a vacuum zone underneath in order to pull down and above in order to pull up. The mere presence of an angled piece of plastic such as a front fairing doesn't mean you get the vacuum zone pulling down. What you do get with that fairing is a bit of extra weight over the front and slightly further forward centre of gravity (prob a few mm, maybe a cm at the very most?) which may make a difference to handling, but whether that is noticeable or not I don't know. Riding position would likely have a greater effect on all this would it not? Prob better air flow on the F at high speed to make it more stable, but I'd say it's unlikely to be downforce.

So far so good with mine, but only been up to 70mph. Running in is a very dull affair!
post #16 of 18 Old 05-27-2019, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralBozo View Post
I think the downforce theory is made up... think about wings on cars and planes - you need a wing/winglet with air flow tuned on each side to generate a vacuum zone underneath in order to pull down and above in order to pull up. The mere presence of an angled piece of plastic such as a front fairing doesn't mean you get the vacuum zone pulling down. What you do get with that fairing is a bit of extra weight over the front and slightly further forward centre of gravity (prob a few mm, maybe a cm at the very most?) which may make a difference to handling, but whether that is noticeable or not I don't know. Riding position would likely have a greater effect on all this would it not? Prob better air flow on the F at high speed to make it more stable, but I'd say it's unlikely to be downforce.

So far so good with mine, but only been up to 70mph. Running in is a very dull affair!

I have to disagree that the downforce theory is "made up". You don't need a wing/winglet to generate a vacuum zone. That just happens to be the "most efficient" way to create one. The air behind the fairing and the protruding parts of the bike are all "vacuum zones". How well do they work? Well, the Suzuki engineers say... "20kg more down force at the front at 200kmh". I don't have any reason to believe they are lying, and that doesn't disparage the naked version. It just means at high speed, the F is more stable. and until your doing more than 70... don't worry about it.
oldjackbob and oldjackbob like this.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-28-2019, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I still just love my F!
I think thatís really F ed up man
mike d likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
There are a few posts in some other thread with people claiming the fairing doesn't do anything. I find that hard to believe, it does in fact make it nicer to ride on the freeway correct? Especially with a Calsci or something bigger than stock?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page