• 1 Post By BanditBrent

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
VW Told to Let Suzuki be Suzuki

Yes VW cheated on diesel emissions, but this is far more significant. Suzuki is about to get back to being Suzuki.

Back in 2009 Volkswagen bought 19.9% of the Japanese company, VW would benefit from access to developing markets and small displacement engines and Suzuki would gain larger vehicle know how.

But that never happened. The relationship soured almost as fast as it started, with neither party agreeing on any of their proposed partnerships, a culture clash and both wondering what in God's name had they done.

By 2011 CEO Osamu Suzuki announced they wanted out in a strongly worded statement:

Quote:
"Today Suzuki terminated the partnership with VW. Suzuki will be seeking the return of its shares from VW in arbitration. I am disappointed that we have to take this action but VWs actions have left us no choice. They have continued to refuse our attempts on numerous occasions to resolve these issues through negotiation. I am more disappointed that having shaken the hand of Dr. Winterkorn in agreeing to this partnership, he has not honoured his commitment to grant Suzuki access to what was originally agreed.

In the absence of VWs cooperation and given its failure to do what was agreed, there is no basis for the partnership to continue. With the cessation of the partnership there is also no basis for VW to hold on to Suzukis shares. We will now work to restore the relationship between Suzuki and VW to its original state as independent parties who do not restrict each others business. I call on Dr. Winterkorn to honour this.
Restricting business would seem to be the key statement. Suzuki has been trying to get those shares back since 2011, scrounging cash and pinching pennies wherever possible. It's likely the reason behind Suzukis innitial withdrawl from WSBK and MotoGP, but more significantly also the likely source of Suzukis stagnant product line up.

Fast forward to 2015, the London Court of International Arbitration has ruled in Suzukis favor, ordering VW to sell back their 19.9% position in Suzuki for $3.8 billion.

Now, how about that new GSXR we've been hearing so much about...
Rusty likes this.
post #2 of 3 Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
Poor old VAG, it never rains eh?

I've had 4 Passats in the last 10+ years and you could see the build quality and service degrading as the years went on... this year I've moved my allegiance to the three pointed star.
TTNorth and coper1968 like this.

2015 GSX-S1000FA L6 in Glass Sparkle Black / Candy Daring Red
post #3 of 3 Old 09-25-2015, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Me too l've just bought an E200, 1984 for 175
Only Merc I'll ever afford, will save the bike from the winter tho.
Martin likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page