LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Internet Explorer 11 & Site Security crashes

Hi Guy's,
Just a heads up that I have been having recent Forum site problems with Internet Explorer 11.
Admin has been advised by several PM's. So if you have been getting what I am about to describe, you are not alone.
Firefox and Edge seem unaffected

It seems to be random, works fine for days, than bingo up pops a security warning form from IE saying the site security certificate name does not match the site. The warning box options is unresponsive, the background freezes, the cursor just circles, the background then goes black, and Windows 10 tries to restore, which it does, then the process continues with the warning box popping up, crash again, and repeats again.

Yesterday, I was punished by the Internet Goblins for writing a long post as when I pushed the post button, a Forum security warning (not from IE this time) popped up, the site didn't crash and my essay on Suspension changes was completely lost.

So I suggest that IE may not the the best Browser to use here at the moment and if you have a post that you make, copy it first before posting, so you don't lose it like me. This post was done via IE 11 as a test. And my PC is fully patched.

Rob.
post #2 of 4 Old 07-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Hey there and anyone else affected by this,

IE is getting harder to keep compatible as Microsoft moves more towards Edge instead. Our suggestion would be to switch to Edge if you can, as it's fairly close to IE and has a pretty similar feel.

As for the security warning you are seeing, this is a known issue. Short version: site is as secure as it's ever been. There is an extra layer of security that is getting added in the near future that will make that warning go away.

Longer Version: that warning is letting you know that the site doesn't use Https, a security feature that mostly protects the site from a MIM attack (or Man in the Middle). A MIM is when someone is intercepting what you are typing, as you type it. Since most everything that is being typed here is going to a public forum that can be read by anyone, and there is zero eCommerce going on, it's never been something that made a lot of sense for us to protect against. However, now that Firefox has started flagging sites that don't use the feature, and Google Chrome will be doing the same come November, we'll be adding this extra security feature. Adding Https to the site has always been on the "to-do" list, but it's being pumped up in priority, mostly to keep the sites reputation as a safe place. No official ETA on this as of yet.

We thank you for your patience and understanding on this matter. Let us know if you have further questions or concerns.

Thank you,
Natalie
post #3 of 4 Old 07-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Garage
Forgot to include, have you ensured to add the site to your Compatibility View settings? To do this, go to the little gear symbol at the top right corner, and a drop down menu will appear. Select Compatibility View Settings and another small window will appear. It'll say "Add this website: gsxs1000.org" and select Add.

Let us know if either of these suggestions work for you - thank you.

Cheers,
Natalie

post #4 of 4 Old 07-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Garage
Forgot to include, have you ensured to add the site to your Compatibility View settings? To do this, go to the little gear symbol at the top right corner, and a drop down menu will appear. Select Compatibility View Settings and another small window will appear. It'll say "Add this website: gsxs1000.org" and select Add.

Let us know if either of these suggestions work for you - thank you.

Cheers,
Natalie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page