• 1 Post By Lewisa89

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-27-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Forum intro

Picked up my new GSX-S100OF, red, after selling my beloved SV650S and currently carrying out the 600 mile torture of running her in. Do you think it's needed these days with super accurate CAM? Even though I'm keeping the revs low, I'm loving the power and solid handling. 400 miles to go before I can let the beast off her leash.
post #2 of 10 Old 04-27-2016, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Welcome from Kent. I've just had the 600 mile service done and have indeed let it off the leash, it's fairly rapid!! Enjoy
post #3 of 10 Old 04-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Zak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from sunny Devon, enjoy the new ride

GSX-S1000 Red/Black naked

post #4 of 10 Old 04-27-2016, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
There's a lot of contention regarding engine break-in period. The consensus I've seen amoungst persons who tend to have more technical insight is: slow and low is a holdover from older engine technology. There are some really good articles you can read associated with dyno break-in that will get into the details. Sorry, on phone, so no links. But, basically, the main point of break-in is to seat the piston rings.

There are three factors which significantly impact this: temperature, back-pressure, and cylinder/sleeve wear. You don't necessarily have to keep the RPMs low, but you must prevent the engine from experiencing very high temps for long duration. When revving the engine, you must allow the revs to drop under load (engine breaking) to maintain high back-pressure. And the break-in period is most critical in the first 20 or so miles, after this, very little additional wear occurs because of the extremely close tolerances and hardness of modern alloys. After that, you're good to let her rip (minding tire break-in). I've found some very detailed instructions on break-in, they're not too difficult to find.

Controversial topic, so I'd recommend doing your own research and making an informed choice. I talked to the a tech at the dealer about taking her to a dyno shop for break-in, his response "just rip out of here like you stole it, better yet, like you just bought a crotch rocket, that's about all the break-in that engine needs."

-Jaren
Stromer and Detroitdawg like this.

Last edited by USSENTERNCC1701E; 04-27-2016 at 07:02 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 AM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSENTERNCC1701E View Post
There's a lot of contention regarding engine break-in period. The consensus I've seen amoungst persons who tend to have more technical insight is: slow and low is a holdover from older engine technology. There are some really good articles you can read associated with dyno break-in that will get into the details. Sorry, on phone, so no links. But, basically, the main point of break-in is to seat the piston rings.

There are three factors which significantly impact this: temperature, back-pressure, and cylinder/sleeve wear. You don't necessarily have to keep the RPMs low, but you must prevent the engine from experiencing very high temps for long duration. When revving the engine, you must allow the revs to drop under load (engine breaking) to maintain high back-pressure. And the break-in period is most critical in the first 20 or so miles, after this, very little additional wear occurs because of the extremely close tolerances and hardness of modern alloys. After that, you're good to let her rip (minding tire break-in). I've found some very detailed instructions on break-in, they're not too difficult to find.

Controversial topic, so I'd recommend doing your own research and making an informed choice. I talked to the a tech at the dealer about taking her to a dyno shop for break-in, his response "just rip out of here like you stole it, better yet, like you just bought a crotch rocket, that's about all the break-in that engine needs."

-Jaren
USS, glad to have you on the board. Your posts are very intelligent and well written!

Stromer
Texas, USA
USSENTERNCC1701E likes this.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS

Last edited by Stromer; 04-28-2016 at 11:02 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-28-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cheers for the information USS, very informative.
USSENTERNCC1701E likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-28-2016, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
completely off topic but sounds like you're not to far from me do you go to H cafe at all?
post #8 of 10 Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
welcome aboard !

2016 S1000
post #9 of 10 Old 04-29-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
completely off topic but sounds like you're not to far from me do you go to H cafe at all?
I never really go east when I go outo for a ride but will probably go there in the summer at some point. I live at RAF Brize Norton.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-30-2016, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisa89 View Post
I never really go east when I go outo for a ride but will probably go there in the summer at some point. I live at RAF Brize Norton.
yeah should pop over bike nights are mondays from now until october

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page