post #1 of 32 Old 07-09-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hello from New Zealand

Hiya,

Just picked up my brand new GSXS-1000 in blue from my local dealer last week. Not many k's on the clock yet, but loving it so far!

I came from a 2008 Hayabusa, which is a wonderful machine, but I really wanted a naked bike as I have never had one. After doing loads of research the GSXS came out at the top of the list.

She comes to me with a few upgrades already. She's got an R&G tail tidy, Enermax screen and a Yoshimura full system which sounds fantastic!

Looking forward to getting her run in and enjoying some riding!

I've got some plans to make her even better. I'm going to get her tuned to maximise the potential of the Yoshimura full system and hopefully get rid of the annoying part throttle behaviour that this bike has.

An Ohlins TTX36 shock and rebuilt fork internals will be on the cards too. I had this done on my Hayabusa which totally transformed her.

I plan on enjoying the odd track day so will install braided lines and sintered pads to reduce the chance of brake fade.

Although the most important daily upgrade I'm looking for is some soft pannier bags and tail bag for commuting and road tripping duty. I plan on having a look through this forum for some recommendations.

From what I've seen so far this forum is full of knowledgeable people. I look forward to sharing experiences with you all during my tenure with this beautiful beast.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0433_1468114150266.jpg (129.5 KB, 38 views)
Gnomie and edvanloon like this.
post #2 of 32 Old 07-10-2016, 02:34 AM
Zak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from the UK, enjoy the new ride

GSX-S1000 Red/Black naked
post #3 of 32 Old 07-10-2016, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
G'day from the Coromandel Peninsula . Did Hampton Downs in Feb. Handling improved out of sight with 55 profile tyres and setting up the suspension properly. Enjoy!

Geoff
edvanloon likes this.

Last edited by Kiwi Geoff; 07-10-2016 at 05:16 PM.

post #4 of 32 Old 07-10-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the welcome Zak, and thanks for the tips Geoff! Going to set up static and rider sag tonight, as I didn't get the chance over the weekend, and start dialing in compression and rebound. Already got my enquiry in to Kiwi Suspension Services to order a TTX36 shock. Just out of interest, what tyres did you put on? I have always had good experiences with the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's. Figure I'll toast the stock tyres at the next Hampton track day so I can put new rubber on.

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S
2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #5 of 32 Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESXB0Y View Post
Thanks for the welcome Zak, and thanks for the tips Geoff! Going to set up static and rider sag tonight, as I didn't get the chance over the weekend, and start dialing in compression and rebound. Already got my enquiry in to Kiwi Suspension Services to order a TTX36 shock. Just out of interest, what tyres did you put on? I have always had good experiences with the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's. Figure I'll toast the stock tyres at the next Hampton track day so I can put new rubber on.
Hi EXSBOY - great stuff. I bought a high end Nitron shock from Robt Taylor for my Street Triple which he set up for my particular needs and it was perfect - KSS are excellent although the Restorace out at Massey are really good too.

I have Michelin PR4's on mine as sport tyres are rubbish in our winters. I don't get a lot of choice over the conditions I ride in as I mentor other riders in advanced roadcraft. I only got 3700 km from the rear D214 and it expired just before my trackday! The PR4's coped pretty well on track. You can see some photos of them and of the trackday here: Confessions of an Ageing Motorcyclist: Losing my virginity!
edvanloon likes this.
post #6 of 32 Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Great to here the Nitron units are as good as I've read about! Being from England, I'd like to see if we can at least match the Swedish! Interesting to read that there is a spot out in Massey for suspension. I did a little research when looking at sorting the suspension on my 'Busa on the Kiwirider forum and all roads led to Mr Taylor.

I have been surprised by how well road tyres perform. I remember my first track day at Hampton Downs on my little Hyosung GT250R. She was rolling on the factory-shod Shinko's which everybody warned me about pushing too hard. Overtaking a couple of Kawasaki 650r's at the braking point of the last turn (turn 6?) and holding them off until we were upright on the start/finish straight was a memorable experience.

Thank you for sharing your article on your first track day. It was a very entertaining read and mirrored my first track experience closely as well!

I am interested in hearing more about your advanced roadcraft training. Would you be able to point me in the direction of some more information please? I am always interested in improving my riding and have done a couple of the CSS days as well as having Keith Code's book and video, and participated in numerous track days. The thought of being able to improve my riding on the roads around the Coromandel is very enticing indeed! I can even chuck the missus and kids in the car with the camping equipment and call it a family holiday!!!

2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #7 of 32 Old 07-10-2016, 09:38 PM

Garage
PM me your email and I'll send you some details. Just arrived back from celebrating our 44th wedding anniversary in Fiji last night so just chilling at the computer today!

I'm ex-UK, albeit in 1975! Used to teach at Cranfield University. Now retired but do volunteer coaching with IAM.

Geoff
post #8 of 32 Old 07-10-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Very nice!

Ah, another one! I'm only 12 years ex-UK. Used to live in Clacton-on-Sea.

2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #9 of 32 Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Apparently I can't send you a PM?

2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #10 of 32 Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Choice Cuz,

I came from a 08 Busa SE too. This kind of hits the mark. No point doing 327 on the road for me anymore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page