post #1 of 22 Old 08-10-2016, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Lia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Pondering a GSX-S1000 ...

Hello, all,

I've been lurking here for a bit, and decided to make an intro post, even though I don't yet own a GSX-S1000.

I loved the specs and reviews from the start (other than the ubiquitious snatchy throttle stories), though it took me a while to get over the aesthetics (I really don't like those z-looking side fairings, or the "fang" looking headlight surrounds).

Judging by the TPS thread, it looks like there's hope for the throttle issues, though I do see that some in the 'constant throttle' thread are still complaining about surges ... so I'm cautiously optimistic on that front. And I've worked with fiberglass before, and think that if I did decide that I can't live with the killer robot look I could probably design replacements with less z-fang in them, lol. Probably even could make the jump into carbon fiber fabrication, which is something I've been thinking of anyway ... hmmm ...

So, I'm pondering. I have a thing about weight, so I love the fact that this is a naked superbike that is lighter than just about anything in its class. And if I switch to an Arrow full exhaust and lithium ion battery, I could easily drop another 15-20 pounds. And I love the features, the price point, the power, the handling reports, and the ergonomics (I haven't ridden one, but sat on one at a dealer).

I also love and am considering two other very different bikes that I really like, the Yamaha XSR900 and the Triumph Street Triple R. Either of these or the Suzuki will provide a nice modern change of pace from my old '88 Sportster cafe racer project bike, and in addition to modern performance will give me modern traction control and ABS for the wet Seattle weather I'm about to return to. Lol, decisions, decisions!

Anyway, sorry for a very long and rambly intro post, lol. Thanks to everyone for all the very cool and helpful information you've all shared!
tonyt likes this.

~Lia
post #2 of 22 Old 08-10-2016, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Hi Lia, I had the same thought about the shoulders. I came from Cafe Racer Projects and Suzuki Street Fighter projects with the exposed ram air duct look. The shoulders kinda grew on me. But maybe on day consider making something like speed/street triple shrouds.

The fact of the matter is, the moment anyone decides to install a full exhaust will eventually install a piggyback or remap. So that will instantly cure the throttle issue.

Test rode the XSR900. Quick for a cafe racer look. Have you test ridden the new Thruxton R????? That would be a killer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia View Post
Hello, all,

I've been lurking here for a bit, and decided to make an intro post, even though I don't yet own a GSX-S1000.

I loved the specs and reviews from the start (other than the ubiquitious snatchy throttle stories), though it took me a while to get over the aesthetics (I really don't like those z-looking side fairings, or the "fang" looking headlight surrounds).

Judging by the TPS thread, it looks like there's hope for the throttle issues, though I do see that some in the 'constant throttle' thread are still complaining about surges ... so I'm cautiously optimistic on that front. And I've worked with fiberglass before, and think that if I did decide that I can't live with the killer robot look I could probably design replacements with less z-fang in them, lol. Probably even could make the jump into carbon fiber fabrication, which is something I've been thinking of anyway ... hmmm ...

So, I'm pondering. I have a thing about weight, so I love the fact that this is a naked superbike that is lighter than just about anything in its class. And if I switch to an Arrow full exhaust and lithium ion battery, I could easily drop another 15-20 pounds. And I love the features, the price point, the power, the handling reports, and the ergonomics (I haven't ridden one, but sat on one at a dealer).

I also love and am considering two other very different bikes that I really like, the Yamaha XSR900 and the Triumph Street Triple R. Either of these or the Suzuki will provide a nice modern change of pace from my old '88 Sportster cafe racer project bike, and in addition to modern performance will give me modern traction control and ABS for the wet Seattle weather I'm about to return to. Lol, decisions, decisions!

Anyway, sorry for a very long and rambly intro post, lol. Thanks to everyone for all the very cool and helpful information you've all shared!
post #3 of 22 Old 08-10-2016, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Welcome lia. All good choices so go with the one that stirs your soul the most. There's no such thing as a perfect bike so either way you'll find something to customize. It seems we all did.
adrianpeds likes this.

Getting up it for the rent

post #4 of 22 Old 08-10-2016, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Lia. I live in Skagit county just 1.5 hours north of Seattle so far I have not move traction control on my F model past TC1 even in the wet. Its a nice insurance though, as for the snatchy throttle once TPS is adjusted its pretty much fix. constant throttle is actually part of the snatchy thing. All the bike you mentioned are all good they all have pros and cons. I highly recommend test riding the bikes that your looking at and compare them your the only better person to judge which bike is for you. Good Luck

RIDING RELIEVES MY STRESS FROM WORK
post #5 of 22 Old 08-10-2016, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Lia

(Thread Starter)
Thanks everyone! 16suzy1k, thanks for the local knowledge. Last time I rode a bike in Seattle was in the late 90's on a '78 Yamaha XS650 that I still kick myself for ever letting go of. What a sweet bike. I did lock up the brakes a few times in the rain, so ABS is very attractive to me.

I am going to test ride all three bikes. One dealer 3 miles from my house has the Suzuki and the Yamaha. Plus I really like the sales guy I spoke with at that dealer. No pressure, encouraged me to ride other bikes he didn't have and if I chose something he didn't sell to drop by and show him what I bought, etc. Just really wants people happily on the roads, even if they don't buy from him (though naturally he'd love it if I bought one of his, lol). Have to go a bit farther for the Triumph, but I'll be near the dealer this weekend.

The styling is growing on me ... it's just such a radical difference from anything I've ever owned, which have been older Japanese standards and the Sportster. But my Sportster is in a nice cafe style, and I want something much different, so maybe I should just embrace the dark side, lol.

Thanks again!

~Lia
post #6 of 22 Old 08-10-2016, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
What an awesome selection of bikes to be choosing from! As has already been mentioned, go with what stirs your soul.

Interested to see pics of your Cafe Racer and also hear more about your fibreglass projects, if you don't mind sharing. I've done some carbon fibre projects for my Hayabusa and interested in getting into some for the GSXS. Like yourself, I'm after weight savings (got a Yoshi full system installed and EarthX LiFePO4 battery on the way) so looking at laying up a one-piece carbon 'monocoque' subframe and tail and also *gulp!* making a carbon tank. That's where I figure most of the weight savings are. However, that is also where the most work is.

Lia likes this.

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S
2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #7 of 22 Old 08-10-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Lia

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESXB0Y View Post
What an awesome selection of bikes to be choosing from! As has already been mentioned, go with what stirs your soul.

Interested to see pics of your Cafe Racer and also hear more about your fibreglass projects, if you don't mind sharing. I've done some carbon fibre projects for my Hayabusa and interested in getting into some for the GSXS. Like yourself, I'm after weight savings (got a Yoshi full system installed and EarthX LiFePO4 battery on the way) so looking at laying up a one-piece carbon 'monocoque' subframe and tail and also *gulp!* making a carbon tank. That's where I figure most of the weight savings are. However, that is also where the most work is.
Hi there, thanks! I've just done a bit of fiberglass work. Started with laminating fiberglass to marine plywood in building sea kayaks, then have done some vacuum bag molding of really simple parts such as kayak paddle blades. Sounds like yo've delved much further into this than I have!

A carbon fiber tank, oooooh, that sounds pretty and so lightweight ... and yes, work-intensive.

I'll post some Sportster cafe pics in a few days when I get the next round of mods done. It will look much better then.

Cheers!

~Lia
post #8 of 22 Old 08-10-2016, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like your composites work is coming along nicely with the different styles of production you've already played with! The transition to carbon isn't such a big step at all, especially in the lay-up. The fundamentals are the same. I have been lucky, as I work in the IT department of an engineering company here in New Zealand. I am mentored in my composites by an engineer that also builds boats. He likes to chuck me in the deep end and drag me back to the surface.

The tank will be the crowning glory! I'd really like to not have to use my own fuel tank, as I'd like to keep riding and don't want to risk any damage to it whilst making the molds. At US$650 for a new one (not including shipping) I may have to just suck it up and use my own tank, maybe wrap it in 3M protective film before I start attacking it.

Thank you! It's always nice to see other peoples creations.

2010 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S
2016 Suzuki GSXS-1000
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa
2007 Honda CBR600RR
2007 Hyosung GT250R
post #9 of 22 Old 08-11-2016, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Lia

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianpeds View Post
Hi Lia, I had the same thought about the shoulders. I came from Cafe Racer Projects and Suzuki Street Fighter projects with the exposed ram air duct look. The shoulders kinda grew on me. But maybe on day consider making something like speed/street triple shrouds.

The fact of the matter is, the moment anyone decides to install a full exhaust will eventually install a piggyback or remap. So that will instantly cure the throttle issue.

Test rode the XSR900. Quick for a cafe racer look. Have you test ridden the new Thruxton R????? That would be a killer bike.
Hi there - Thanks for the comments! No, I haven't ridden the Thruxton R. It does look wonderful, but I'm really wanting something a little further away from my cafe racer in style for a second bike. The XSR900 is a little more modernish, so makes the cut ... so far ...

~Lia
post #10 of 22 Old 08-11-2016, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My story behind getting a GSX S1000F is I watched hours and hours of reviews for various bikes, test rode a Kawasaki Z1000SX and Triumph Sprint GT and decided I'd get the Kwak as it ticked all the boxes.

Someone asked me if I'd ridden the Suzuki, but I hadn't even looked at it. I took a look, decided it wasn't for me but thought I'd test ride it anyway just to confirm my choice for the Z1000SX. After 5 minutes I knew I wasn't going to buy the Kawasaki.

I still watched hours of reviews of the GSXS after riding it, took the F for a test ride (rode the naked first time round) as I knew I wanted fairing and a week later I bought one.

It does barely anything I thought I wanted in a bike (sensible pillion/hard luggage options, etc.) but honestly I just wanted something to spank at the weekends and, after riding it, I knew I'd always regret not buying it if I didn't go for it.

I might wish I had hard luggage and an adjustable screen when I take it touring, but I'll manage, and for the other 95% of the time I'm riding it, it's perfect.

So yeah, just ride them and let your mind make itself up. And then let us know you decided to get a GSXS.
tonyt and Jaked like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page