Nearly lost leg 14 may 2016. Healing and shopping for my next ride - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By mprhead5
  • 1 Post By mprhead5

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-13-2016, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Nearly lost leg 14 may 2016. Healing and shopping for my next ride

After crashing my 2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000r Factory in May I have been taking the long road of recovery and thinking long and hard about what type of bike I want once I can ride again. The Tuono was a total loss and I currently have a 2001 CBR929RR which I am trying to sell.
I have been looking for a more comfortable bike than my 929 for about a year and had purchased the Aprilia in January as the intended replacement.

Initially I figured it might be time to look at a different class of bike that I could do some light touring on. I focused in on the new triumph classic series as I had ridden a Street twin a few weeks before my accident and while under powered I had come away impressed. after trolling the forums and continuing my search I locked onto a few other bikes including the triumph Street Triple which has many great things going for it such as torque, mpg, and fully adjustable suspension which most bikes in the price range do not have. I also was interested in the ability to redline it perhaps more than the larger bikes I have had. I had also had some interest in the FZ-10. Just the other day I stumbled across the GSX S1000F and my research seems to confirm that it is a no holds barred comfortable GSXR1000.

The power, comfort, fuel economy, and suspension all coupled with an amazingly affordable package have me interested. A comfortable super bike that would be rocking real power numbers combined with a little more torque all wrapped up in a sensible package really has my attention. I look forward to checking out the forum and seeing what other owners think

I am still maybe a year from being able to buy another bike or at least ride one. I am going through a long series of surgeries to try to save my leg which was only deemed salvageable because I had AGV motorcycle pants on at the time of the crash. Even if I lost the leg I still plan on riding as soon as I can.

things I like about the GSX from what I have discovered

140-150+RWHP with mods scratches my MO POWER itch
styling and wind protection on the F model for longer commuting in comfort
MPG is worlds better than the FZ-10
reasonably capable stock suspension

Things that may turn me away

lack of torque compared to other options
unable to use the power compared to a street triple
MPG compared to street triple
handling not as good as street triple
Jaked likes this.
post #2 of 4 Old 08-13-2016, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
First of welcome and hopefully you will recover soon and that everything will work out for you. I just traded my street bike hypersports 2008 Hayabusa for the GSX-s1000F. I have done lots of track time as a level 3 rider, handling on this bike is no slouch, it has plenty of torque and power. Its just a choice of which gear and what corner you will be playing on. If your comparing it to the street triple you will probably slightly get beat by MPG. As for the handling once you set the suspension for you its awesome. I had an sv1000 as my track bike and i had fun playing with the street triple specially in the corners. The GSX-S has more potential to me then my old SV, only difference is that vtwin torque is there, but once you find the sweet spot on this 1000 its a joy to ride. This is just my opinion. I will not be taking my F to the track because its strictly my street ride.

RIDING RELIEVES MY STRESS FROM WORK
post #3 of 4 Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Street Triple and GSX S1000[F] are both great bikes and I'd love to have both of them in my garage. My girlfriend's dream bike is a white Street Triple R so I'm holding out on her getting on so I can ride them both.

Hope your recovery goes well - maybe you can spend the next year saving enough money to get a Striple and a GSXS ? Best of both worlds ... ?

Also, any reason to not go back for a Tuono ? Everything I've heard about them is that they are as good as or better than everything else in the class, would love to own one of those too.

Last edited by bobfarrell; 08-13-2016 at 05:50 AM.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2016, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
The Tuono is top of the charts but several things make me shy away. Dealer and parts support for Aprilia's is laughable and you can easily find your self several hundred miles from the nearest dealer and waiting months for parts. The V4 bikes have also proven to be built to a cheaper standard than the V2 bikes, are less friendly to self maintenance, have plastic fuel tanks that swell with ethonol mixed fuels, horrible MPG and range, you are getting the idea. These Euro nakeds generally have very poor dealer networks aside from BMW. But I don't just want a super naked. I really like the fairing that the GSXF adds to the mix

Also even though I do not remember my accident it is somewhat obvious that a mechanical failure was likely the cause as I lowsided the bike at 66 mph riding at a fairly relaxed pace. As such I am a litte turned off by Aprilia as a brand right now even though its simply for personal reasons and not that they make a dangerous product.

I like the triumph because its very light midleweight with good comfort for my bad back and better midrange than other middleweights. It also has the most adjustable suspension you can get in the price point. It also will be getting a new model with 765cc motor within the next year although that may move the price up.

I am attracted to the GSX S1000F because I know I can always find a dealer if I need, parts won't be stuff of rumor and legend. Its a Sport version of the Race replica. the only thing its not upfront about is its rated power which is far closer to the rave bike than they admit to. Really for about 1k in power mods this motor could be putting out 170 hp?!?!? Sign me up. thats 2008 superbike levels of power with every day comfort, decent fuel economy, and an unbeatable price that is only indicative of the suspension.

So we will see what the 2017 Street Triple brings to the table and see what the overall word on the FZ-10 ends up being. For the 2k price differance though I'm pretty sure I could get a nice shock, 155RWHP and some nice accessories for the GSX

I just had a very painfull bone graft surgery last week but that set forth the real healing process. the real question is after they have done everything they can think of how much use will I get out of my leg. Right now only my foot works as advertised. If my use is still limited I will get a above knee prosthetic
adrianpeds likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page