post #1 of 22 Old 09-29-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Hello from the Chicago area

Hi folks, my name is AJ and I'm from the Chicagoland area. I've been looking into a GSX-S1000 for a few months now. I've been riding for 3 years on the street and a while longer on small dirt bikes. I'm on my 3rd bike in as many years, I currently ride a 2016 Yamaha FZ-07. My last two bikes were small Hondas; a CBR250R and a CBR500R, great for commuting but very, very boring.

Due to a ton of issues I've been having with my 6 month old Yamaha, I'll be looking to make the switch to a GSXS either mid to late next season or over the winter of 2017/2018. Before anyone asks here's the list of problems I've had with the FZ (if anyone is curious):

1) Oil leak at 2k miles from the weep hole (fixed under warranty) - bad seal was to blame
2) Chain ate through the chain guard and swingarm (fixed under warranty) - bad chain was to blame, slack was always good when I would adjust it
3) Coolant leak at 3,800 miles from the weep hole (fixed under warranty) - out of round impeller shaft/seal to blame
4) Sidestand switch died on a trip, had to bypass it to get home (fixed under warranty) - I left the bypassed plug on but kept the new plug for when I sell it
5) Bent a rim on a pothole (fixed out of pocket) probably a freak accident. No idea when it happened, noticed when I was cleaning the chain and tires on day
6) Swingarm dust cover worked itself out of the pivot, water got in and ruined the bearing (fixed under warranty) - bad seal

So after wasting a ton of money on extras, I'm going to give this bike a shot next season. However, the warranty ends mid March of 2017. So once it starts costing me money for stupid repairs, it's gone. So I'm here for the time being to read up on issues, common problems, complaints/praises, and probably just be a lurker until I pull the trigger on one.

Thanks for having me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (90.1 KB, 34 views)
post #2 of 22 Old 09-29-2016, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hey ChicagoAJ, your avatar is familiar! Welcome! I just did what you are planning and let me tell you, big upgrade!

Never had any issues with my FZ, but I am very happy with the change. It is a different level bike, on all fronts.

Last edited by Manuel; 09-29-2016 at 10:47 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-29-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Hey ChicagoAJ, your avatar is familiar! Welcome! I just did what your are planning and let me tell you, big upgrade!

Never had any issues with my FZ, but I am very happy with the change. It is a different level bike, on all fronts.
Yea, I really want to, like really want to... I spent about $2000 on stuff for my FZ and sold some of the stock stuff. So it would suck to lose a couple grand on top of another couple grand in depreciation too. I have the money to get a GSXS outright, I just hate losing some in the process - if that makes sense. Wish I didn't spend anything on the FZ, then I'd have already made the switch!

Any problems with this bike besides the throttle issue that seems to have been fixed?

post #4 of 22 Old 09-29-2016, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I get what you mean, it's good that you take the path of reason. Only you know when you're ready. Only thing I can say is don't let the running cost of the FZ get exponential. From what you're describing, it could be a lemon...

I was in a similar position...tons of upgrades on the FZ, no prospect of recovering at least a decent portion of the money spent and no pressure to get a new bike. But I had the chance to test it and the deal was fair. 5 years warranty and some factory accessories sealed the deal. You lose some, you gain some, you know the game...

In terms of problems with the Gixess, I have not discovered anything yet (it's early, I only have about 300 km on the bike) and I am hoping it will stay this way. Time will tell. What I noticed, if that can be called an issue, is that aftermarket parts availability is kind of poor. We'll see how that will evolve. But this time I will take a more reserved approach
ChicagoAJ likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-30-2016, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
I've put on 3000k's on my bike now, with quite an extensive list of mods, but no REAL show stoppers.

The throttle issue is pretty common on all bikes IMHO, yes even the FZ/MT-07 had that issue, gsx-r', sv's... So it's COMMON, and really just takes slight amount of work to get it mostly sorted, and if you want it all gone, it's reasonably cheap to get the ECU flashed (IMHO, if you are going to go down this route, by a flashtuner, and then get someone to tune it for you on a dyno, as then you are not locked to a PARTICULAR person to do the tuning).

Yes aftermarket parts are limited at the moment, but it's getting better!

K&N said no we are not doing filters for your bike.... guess what we have them!

The good thing is quite a few GSX-R1000 parts fit our bike, so we can always use aftermarket parts for theirs on ours (springs, 2009-20014 air filters, levers, etc etc).

Anyway, TL;DR, there aren't any show stopping issues at this point in time, and with a bit of money spent on it, the bike is an ABSOLUTE monster in terms of power, with only just the exhaust done, and dyno tune.... can't wait till i get my suspension sorted for me.
ChicagoAJ likes this.

2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 Blue
post #6 of 22 Old 09-30-2016, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Well I had a whole huge reply typed out and when I hit the reply button it never loaded.

Long story short, I plan to get as much money back before my FZ sells from taking off the Akra full exhaust and ECU flash. Should get me about $500-$700 back. That'll be nice. Not sure if it's a lemon or not, could be. I don't have any doubts that it would run for 20,000-30,000 miles without an issue (the leaks aren't even bad enough to drip), but I was a mechanic for 8 years and once I see something some new having dumb issues it completely puts me off.

I'm pretty used to jerky throttles as I have the R6 throttle tube on my bike, some bumps are killer. I'd likely get the GSXS flashed too, everything runs so much better and smoother with a flash, it's incredible.

Anyway, thanks for info guys. I'm going to a Suzuki dealer in the next couple weeks to check out the S1000(and F), who knows, maybe they'll make me a deal I can't refuse.
m0n4g3 likes this.
post #7 of 22 Old 10-01-2016, 12:05 AM

Garage
Get the nakey! Fairings are for.... well yeah!
ChicagoAJ likes this.

post #8 of 22 Old 10-01-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! I switched from the FZ09 to the GSX-S1000 about a year ago and never looked back. Just turned 5,000 miles on her the other day and haven't experienced a single issue so far. It's definitely a bike that does disappoint in my book! Best of luck in your search.
ChicagoAJ likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 10-03-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsharp581 View Post
Welcome! I switched from the FZ09 to the GSX-S1000 about a year ago and never looked back. Just turned 5,000 miles on her the other day and haven't experienced a single issue so far. It's definitely a bike that does disappoint in my book! Best of luck in your search.
Sure hope you mean it doesn't disappoint!
mints likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 PM

Garage
It could disappoint...... disappoint your opinion of everything else out there!
ChicagoAJ likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page