4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-14-2017, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Greetings from the midwest

Just wanted to say hello all from Chicagoland, USA. I've been riding since 2011, my previous bikes being a GSXR600 and 400SM, and having taken a hiatus for the past few years due to becoming a family man. Well, time is nearing to get back on the saddle and I'm currently looking at a few different bikes in order to make that happen.

I love canyon carving and definitely am looking to do some more track days. However, the bulk of its use will be for commuting (60-70% I'm guessing), approximately 30 miles or so daily.

For my budget, I've decided on a short list with the GSXS1000 topping it (blacked out Z would be ideal, though I'm looking at a 16/17 leftover for the savings). On paper at least, the GSXS seems to offer the most bang for the buck compared to other bikes in its class/price range. A snatchy throttle seems to be the only major drawback (to me at least), but thankfully the TPS thread seems to remedy that issue. Other minor areas of concern are the lack of steering damper (I nearly shat my pants when I got some crazy head shake after hitting a pothole while doing 70 mph on a congested freeway), along with its heavier weight compared to my lighter former bikes (supermoto handling is amazing, freeway capability not so much).

Being a cornering junky, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on a GSXS because I already know a supersport will get the job done in the twisties and track (and do it well) but I have no idea how well the GSXS would fare. And so, I'm also considering a 16/17 GSXR750 with the only drawback being the riding position, which I hate to admit seems to be a major priority these days (mid 30's). Getting old sucks!

Outliers I'm not so much considering as I'm dreaming are the FZ10 (beastly crossplane transformer but what shitty fuel economy) and 17 R6 (is there a better reasonably priced, bang for the buck, track tool?). I say I want to get back into cornering but it all may be a pipe dream due to the wife and baby. Just F it and get a Indian Scout Bobber? I'd consider them all just over my budget at this point but thought I'd mention them for mindset insight and shits and giggles.

Anyhow, that's my story. Thanks for listening to my ramblings. Ride safe!
post #2 of 20 Old 09-14-2017, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Garage
Hi and welcome,

I moved from a GSXR 750 K8 to the GSXS in 2015. It was the best move I could have made. Loved my GSXR but the GSXS is by far the more practical bike with just as much fun and excitement.

I find it handles after a few minor adjustments very well and is easily capable of coping with my skill level. I will replace suspension and brake parts as and when they wear out.

Great on the twisties and a pleasure to live with. Go for it.

Cool
post #3 of 20 Old 09-14-2017, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
In my opinion the only way a supermoto style (gsxr) will outperform a gsxs will be because of rider skill....though a gsxr may be more capable on a track, i seldom come across riders that can take advantage of the difference. The advantage offered by the premium parts on the gsxr are only realized by the top 5-10% riders. Otherwise it mostly eye candy.
An argument can be made for the "feel"of the premium parts, better dampening or better shifting maybe but those things can be customized to rider specs.....and thats actually an advantage in my eyes. I didnt pay extra for something that was going to be revalved and resprung anyways.

A huge advantage of the gsxs for commuters is the gearing.....gsxr is geared for track and makes you work for that power advantage. The gsxs just has power all over rpm range.....for street riding the gsxs wins hands down.

Seeting position is personal but even in my 20s i hated hugging the tank.

Setting taste aside, ive always looked at the gsxr line like an Ariel Atom...yeah its street legal (barely), but its technically a purpose built track machine that dies a little every day its not on track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 20 Old 09-14-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'm in the city, and I think the GSXS is great for riding in this area. It holds it's own on twisty roads, but sadly there aren't many around here. You'll appreciate the more upright riding position on the 200 highway miles getting to and from the good roads. On the street, the GSXS only lacks some top end compared to a supersport. Unless you're riding over 120, or dragging knee on the street, you'll be better off on the GSXS.

I haven't taken my GSXS to the track, but I don't think I would like it. I have an R6 that I race, and I would certainly have to dial it back if I rode my GSXS on the track. Depending on your skill level, you may be able to pull off double duty.

As for budget, I don't know if you priced out local dealers. I bought my bike in June and I was seeing $8500 out the door for non-abs and $9000 OTD for ABS (naked model).
post #5 of 20 Old 09-15-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechmate View Post
I find it handles after a few minor adjustments very well and is easily capable of coping with my skill level. I will replace suspension and brake parts as and when they wear out.
Anything besides the rear shock and rubber brake lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dqban View Post
though a gsxr may be more capable on a track, i seldom come across riders that can take advantage of the difference
I'm slower B pace so I definitely fit into that category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pat View Post
I haven't taken my GSXS to the track, but I don't think I would like it. I have an R6 that I race, and I would certainly have to dial it back if I rode my GSXS on the track. Depending on your skill level, you may be able to pull off double duty.

As for budget, I don't know if you priced out local dealers. I bought my bike in June and I was seeing $8500 out the door for non-abs and $9000 OTD for ABS (naked model).
Anything specific about the GSXS on the track that you think you wouldn't like?

I haven't priced out dealers yet, probably will do so in the coming months. Your pricing is about what I have in mind though.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
Anything specific about the GSXS on the track that you think you wouldn't like?

I haven't priced out dealers yet, probably will do so in the coming months. Your pricing is about what I have in mind though.
I don't know for sure, but the brakes, suspension, and ground clearance don't seem like they would be up to the task as is. I ride in the middle of the advanced group. It's arguably not a fair comparison. I'm used to riding a dedicated track R6 with upgraded suspension and brakes. I think I would have to dial my pace back on the GSXS.

If you're a slower B pace, you'll probably be able to stay in the limits and have fun on it at the track.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
I don't do track, but if you take the track out of the mix, the GSX-S100F is the most versatile bike I've ever owned. Commuting, suburban and urban errands, weekend canyon runs, long highway stretches. I just does it all very well.
See if you can get a test ride, then decide.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I don't do track, but if you take the track out of the mix, the GSX-S100F is the most versatile bike I've ever owned. Commuting, suburban and urban errands, weekend canyon runs, long highway stretches. I just does it all very well.
See if you can get a test ride, then decide.
Side profile of the F looks outstanding. Front not so much. I'm not a fan of the added weight of the F but I am concerned about the naked's comfort through the wind during higher speeds. Also, because they are so **** ugly I'd hope to get a better deal on an F. Or maybe a windscreen on a naked would be sufficient?
mike d likes this.
post #9 of 20 Old 09-19-2017, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
Side profile of the F looks outstanding. Front not so much. I'm not a fan of the added weight of the F but I am concerned about the naked's comfort through the wind during higher speeds. Also, because they are so **** ugly I'd hope to get a better deal on an F. Or maybe a windscreen on a naked would be sufficient?
You don't see the front of the F when you're riding, but I'll bet you feel the wind on the naked

Edit: also, the weights not that serious, especially on this bike, it's not a pure track/racing bike. However the extra down force from the fairing is great. I haven't ridden a naked GSXS but I've ridden other nakeds, and I love the stability of a faired sport bike at speed.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6

Last edited by USSENTERNCC1701E; 09-19-2017 at 06:57 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 09-19-2017, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Don't forget about engine alignment, what tire you should use, what's the best oil, what helmet do you wear.... welcome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page