• 1 Post By nicka

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-30-2017, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Chris from DownUnder

G'day all, long time lurker first time poster and recent owner of a brand new 2018 GSXS1000Z (and 2000 TLR1000).

Only had the bike 3 days, 250km so far and really enjoying it.

My thoughts so far is its a great bike and handles amazing (compared to 2000TLR ;-p) my first new bike. I believe I am having the "throttle issue" although its workable I find cruising with low revs on a rough road, the bike jolts in and out if my wrist in a little lax on the throttle. I don't think its as bad as I've read people describe but i must admit I need to concentrate and ensure bumps from the road dampen through my arms / shoulders, if my wrist is not locked it will oscillate. Apart from that very happy with this bike. I was close to pulling the trigger on the z1000 but after some test rides in the end went with Suzuki.

The sound is cool, different to the TLR but I like it, no plans to change anything there.
Feel and steering is awesome, no real desire to put steering dampner on but i notice from the pics some others have done that i assume track use?
Tracktion control, been using it in T3 mainly while i get settled on it, first bike with ABS and Traction so just getting the feel of it. It is quite amazing how quick it goes without the front coming up compared to the TLR (comes up very easy but wouldn't get away as quick if that makes sense, the GSXS just sticks). I will give it a whirl t2 / t1 / off when i get some good conditions and space.
Brakes are great, haven't cranked hard enough to engage the ABS yet, but it pulls up much quicker than the TLR using standard feathering braking technique.
Mrs is happy on the back thus far, although she does find it more "pullly" than the tlr, she just holds on tighter
Seating position is much more comfortable, my wrists are usable after peak hour traffic. I did notice there is a bit of a gap between rider and pillion in terms of seat real estate but its still very comfortable.

Undecided:
Throttle, can be worked around and my insurance / warranty? may be void if i play with ECU and i am reading mix feelings on PC so anyways will wait to see how that goes.
Screen, its a strange feeling not being so open compared to the sports bike but its quite nice, anyways give it another 1000km and see how i feel.

Planned MODS:
Tail tidy (Does anyone know if the 2018 1000z is the same dimensions as earlier models? Ebay / Amazon don't have any that say specifically will fit 2018 1000z. I think it is the same but would be great to hear from someone who has already been there.)
Brake and Clutch leaver change / color change (Dark Red + Shortened)
Open to other recommendations?

Anyways if there is any Victorian pilots who get out for a ride I'm not a real speed demon but enjoy riding with others so keen to meet up, go for a ride and talk shop.

I'll post some pics but currently it is just the standard 2018 1000z black with grey / red highlights.

Cheers
Chris.
unload and Fiik like this.

Last edited by gsxs_tlr_1k; 09-30-2017 at 05:34 AM.
post #2 of 10 Old 09-30-2017, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxs_tlr_1k View Post
G'day all, long time lurker first time poster and recent owner of a brand new 2018 GSXS1000Z (and 2000 TLR1000).

Only had the bike 3 days, 250km so far and really enjoying it.

My thoughts so far is its a great bike and handles amazing (compared to 2000TLR ;-p) my first new bike. I believe I am having the "throttle issue" although its workable I find cruising with low revs on a rough road, the bike jolts in and out if my wrist in a little lax on the throttle. I don't think its as bad as I've read people describe but i must admit I need to concentrate and ensure bumps from the road dampen through my arms / shoulders, if my wrist is not locked it will oscillate. Apart from that very happy with this bike. I was close to pulling the trigger on the z1000 but after some test rides in the end went with Suzuki.

The sound is cool, different to the TLR but I like it, no plans to change anything there.
Feel and steering is awesome, no real desire to put steering dampner on but i notice from the pics some others have done that i assume track use?
Tracktion control, been using it in T3 mainly while i get settled on it, first bike with ABS and Traction so just getting the feel of it. It is quite amazing how quick it goes without the front coming up compared to the TLR (comes up very easy but wouldn't get away as quick if that makes sense, the GSXS just sticks). I will give it a whirl t2 / t1 / off when i get some good conditions and space.
Brakes are great, haven't cranked hard enough to engage the ABS yet, but it pulls up much quicker than the TLR using standard feathering braking technique.
Mrs is happy on the back thus far, although she does find it more "pullly" than the tlr, she just holds on tighter
Seating position is much more comfortable, my wrists are usable after peak hour traffic. I did notice there is a bit of a gap between rider and pillion in terms of seat real estate but its still very comfortable.

Undecided:
Throttle, can be worked around and my insurance / warranty? may be void if i play with ECU and i am reading mix feelings on PC so anyways will wait to see how that goes.
Screen, its a strange feeling not being so open compared to the sports bike but its quite nice, anyways give it another 1000km and see how i feel.

Planned MODS:
Tail tidy (Does anyone know if the 2018 1000z is the same dimensions as earlier models? Ebay / Amazon don't have any that say specifically will fit 2018 1000z. I think it is the same but would be great to hear from someone who has already been there.)
Brake and Clutch leaver change / color change (Dark Red + Shortened)
Open to other recommendations?

Anyways if there is any Victorian pilots who get out for a ride I'm not a real speed demon but enjoy riding with others so keen to meet up, go for a ride and talk shop.

I'll post some pics but currently it is just the standard 2018 1000z black with grey / red highlights.

Cheers
Chris.

Welcome mate, try a throttle tamer as it makes a big difference to the throttle control without touching the fueling or ecu , if you ever heading down the great ocean road give me a hoy, I'm guessing your at the east end of it like most but I'm at the west end and can meet up for a catch-up .
Fiik likes this.

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #3 of 10 Old 09-30-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cheers Nick,
Yeah I'm NNE of Melbourne, but I like surfing / paragliding and head down both East and West Coast quite often. I'm probably almost in the middle of the two coast lines (travel time wise) no tolls to go West is a good thing.

Is this your recommendation? http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-stree...throttle-tube/ It does specify 2016 (GSXS) but I guess it depends on if the bike has changed. I really need to get the bottom of whether the bikes dimensions have changed to the 2018 GSXS1000Z. Looking at them I'd say not but there are little (Cosmetic) differences in the tail I can see. Time to read the manual

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers
Chris.

post #4 of 10 Old 09-30-2017, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you are enjoying the bike Chris. That Z is a looker! I have an F and just love it, but the weather here has been less than perfect for riding lately. I've gotten in some commutes.
Before you do the tidy tail, ask yourself how much you ride in the rain. I put one on my last bike and ended up regretting it. I've left my GSX as is.
Anyway... Welcome and ride safe.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-01-2017, 12:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxs_tlr_1k View Post
Cheers Nick,

Yeah I'm NNE of Melbourne, but I like surfing / paragliding and head down both East and West Coast quite often. I'm probably almost in the middle of the two coast lines (travel time wise) no tolls to go West is a good thing.

Is this your recommendation? http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-stree...throttle-tube/ It does specify 2016 (GSXS) but I guess it depends on if the bike has changed. I really need to get the bottom of whether the bikes dimensions have changed to the 2018 GSXS1000Z. Looking at them I'd say not but there are little (Cosmetic) differences in the tail I can see. Time to read the manual

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

Chris.

The part No is 40-4F-136-S

It's very universal across most suzuki road bikes

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #6 of 10 Old 10-02-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Mike, Cheers for the welcome and advice. I'm going to do a complete tail tidy with new lights etc, if i find it unworkable i can restore tail.

For the time being I'm just enjoying the bike as is. The TLR community is huge on mods so i got the bug of changing things, but i'm less inclined with the GSX as it is pretty sweet as is plus its a brand new bike (but i cant resist changing a few little things) :-)

Nick cheers for the part # and again it looks as though companies haven't updated their websites as it shows only compatible with 2016 and below although i do believe it will fit, i'll be emailing a few suppliers of various mods / aftermarket parts i'm interested in this week to see if i can get confirmation that they will fit on my bike.

Cheers
Chris.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-02-2017, 04:16 PM

Garage

Here's the comparability list and part No at the time I brought mine

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue
post #8 of 10 Old 10-04-2017, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Congrats on the Z! Would love one myself.

There's a free fix for the throttle issue here:
https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-1...ey-snatch.html
post #9 of 10 Old 10-04-2017, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Hi Chris,
You may find the new bike feels a bit softer in the front end after the first 1000 km when the fork bushes etc bed in and loose some friction.
I had both the TL's R & S when they came out all those years ago. The R, I just couldn't get it to tip into corners - and the S was a better bike for me, but both are light years away from this GSXS1000, so your in for a real treat with your new machine, just don't go adjusting that rear rotary damper, heh.

Rob.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-05-2017, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Chris,
Hey mate congratulations on the bike. I am in the Northern region (Campbellfield) of Melbourne. If you ever want to link up let me know?
I have the 2016 F so could probably have fair amount info and answer a lot of your questions if we ever meet up.
Either way you have a very nice ride. Let me know if your interested to link up. Weekends are usually best for me.
Cheers mate
Jeffro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page