5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-01-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
got a GSX-S in Portland, Oregon

I'm very excited to have picked up a new 2016 GSX-S1000F today, in Glass Sparkle Black/Candy Daring Red. I put about 200 miles on the bike bringing it from Bend to Portland. The guys at Pro Caliber in Bend made me a great deal and I had a great experience there. Ask for Pat.

The throttle twitchiness was not as bad as I anticipated. The exhaust sounds great to me, has a lot of character for an inline-4. The bike is fast, and fairly comfortable for me (6'6", 210 lb). The suspension is stiff, but I'm having fun with it because all my previous bikes have been undersprung for my weight. Handles great. The brakes are spongy, but I haven't tuned them up yet. I like the instrumentation and electronics. I'm getting very buffeted by wind.

I'm looking forward to modding it a little bit. I'm thinking about fender delete (but the rain is about to come in Portland). I need frame sliders. I need a USB charger and phone mount. I think it'd be fun to have a straight pipe off of the under-frame cat+muffler,
shows it's not much louder and I'm keen to keep the cat. I'd like to adjust the suspension a bit.

Excited to have this forum as a resource and hope to contribute where I can.
post #2 of 12 Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome thecarguy !
I'm loving my F. I don't get wind buffeting, but I'm 5'10. I've used a few different helmets with no problem. I do have an aftermarket screen, but it's the same height as stock and seems about the same as the stock one to me.
Good luck finding one that works for you. As far as exhaust, I really didn't hear enough difference between the two make it worth it to loose the nice stock muffler, but that's just me. You're right that this bike sounds really good from the factory. Best sounding stock bike I've owned (but I haven't owned a Ducati, or Aprilla)..
post #3 of 12 Old 10-01-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
Welcome thecarguy !
I'm loving my F. I don't get wind buffeting, but I'm 5'10. I've used a few different helmets with no problem. I do have an aftermarket screen, but it's the same height as stock and seems about the same as the stock one to me.
Good luck finding one that works for you. As far as exhaust, I really didn't hear enough difference between the two make it worth it to loose the nice stock muffler, but that's just me. You're right that this bike sounds really good from the factory. Best sounding stock bike I've owned (but I haven't owned a Ducati, or Aprilla)..
You should hear (and feel) one with a FULL M4 exhaust. Wow.
mike d likes this.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS

post #4 of 12 Old 10-01-2017, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromer View Post
You should hear (and feel) one with a FULL M4 exhaust. Wow.
I'm sure a full system would make a big difference, and sound great, but I'm not really a fan of "load" and that's a much bigger investment too.
I'll try to stay happy with stock.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-02-2017, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
mike d, I appreciate the desire to leave the bike stock. I do like how it sounds from the factory. I'm pretty convinced that changing the final muffler won't impact sound that much...so I want to experiment with straight-piping it to make the bike a little louder, a little lighter, and a little more 'mine'. And I want to retain the cat, because I like breathing air and the bike is already powerful enough for my purposes.

Stromer, I bet the full M4 system sounds wild! Do you have a link to a youtube or sound clip? Where could I consider buying it? Lastly...did you have a V Strom at some point? I had a DL650 ABS and loved it.

Update: today, at 240 miles, I dumped the stock oil. For this bike, I have decided to run it very hard in the initial 20 miles, to try to seat the piston rings as well as possible. Those who subscribe to the 'run it hard in the first 20 miles' theory typically suggest changing out the oil ASAP after running the bike hard initially -- so I dumped the oil and filled it up with some Rotella T4 15w-40 (it's JASO MA2 certified). The used oil had iridescent plumes in it, which I must believe are small metal shavings from the engine breaking in.

I'll still get the 600 mile maintenance at the dealership, of course.

I've made a deal with my brother in Seattle to sell him my first-gen Yamaha FZ1 at a very agreeable price, I'm excited for him to inherit this well-maintained bike. It will be his first. I know that it is inadvisable to start out on a liter-bike -- I started on a much humbler steed. However my younger brother is one of the most physically talented humans I have met, and I know he'll uphold his promise to use the throttle sparingly for the first couple thousand miles.

I've ordered some wheel stands, frame sliders, and a cell phone mount today for the GSX-S1K. I need some help with figuring out the best way to get a USB charger rigged into this machine.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarguy View Post
I've ordered some wheel stands, frame sliders, and a cell phone mount today for the GSX-S1K. I need some help with figuring out the best way to get a USB charger rigged into this machine.
Hi, welcome

No write up as of yet but here are a few pics of my USB install on an F and my Phone mount

GSX-S USB Phone Mount ? Suzuki GSX-S
post #7 of 12 Old 10-03-2017, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Paul, your USB looks really good. Would love to see a writeup of how that was done -- it's one of the cleanest installations I've seen so far.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-03-2017, 03:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarguy View Post
Paul, your USB looks really good. Would love to see a writeup of how that was done -- it's one of the cleanest installations I've seen so far.
Thanks, will do a writeup in the next day or two(got lots of them to do). Very straightforward and easy
post #9 of 12 Old 10-11-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Paul, would love to see that writeup!!

I put some spools on the rear for chain maintenance, a RAM mount, and some frame sliders on the Gixxus. I also fiddled with the suspension. It's working really great far, I love the bike.

I also experimented with how the bike sounds without the muffler -- it's much louder on decel which is kind of annoying, so I put the muffler back on.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-12-2017, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Hi The Car Guy,
Welcome to the Forum, and I am guessing that you have based your bike decision on the pearls of wisdom said on here to convince yourself that you have indeed bought a really special bike. It is that indeed.

You may notice that a lot of us have filled in the location in the Account page. We are a Worldwide audience here and it helps with people expressing values in their comments. Like the US having a different volume with 'gallons' compared to the UK and Australia, New Zealand. So when you say I took the bike up to 100, I am thinking 100 KPH as may a Canadian,French or Scandinavian Person, not as a USA National would.

With the 'go it hard' theory, I've done that test and found no benefit in it. One thing that I did was to buy 4 L of really cheap no name supermarket engine car oil.
Drain the factory fill out straight after getting home from the Dealership & store it. Refill the oil with the no name base 10W40 mineral stuff.
Take the bike over the mountains, on the straights flog it to 500 rpm off the red line twice and ride the 70 km home and drain that oil and refill up the factory fill.
That Honda Blackbird had no difference whatsoever in it's running for another 15 000 km, and the drained out into the pan oil appearance of that cheapo base oil had no plumes, and there no metal particles at the bottom of the pan.

I had a Ducati Monster 620 from new. After 200 km, I drained the oil, replaced the filter canister, and put the same factory oil back. I carefully cut the old filter in half as the internet said Ducati bikes shed lots of aluminium swarf into the oil and the filter partially clogs. Well, it was like brand new - a waste of a new filter.
A magnet run over the paper filter combs showed up nothing.

I suggest that some of these often repeated stories relate to different time and a different age and I am speculating our Grandfathers Day.
Just ride your bike in enjoyable manner to 1/2 to 3/4 of the rev range from new in occasion bursts of GSXS passion, and it will outlast the next 5 owners, period.
Don't overload it, underload it or pamper it, just enjoy your new ride.

Rob.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page