• 3 Post By Ralph Sigi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-14-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
greetings

Greetings, I just picked up a GSXS 1000 Z (2018) last Friday. The bike is a lot of fun (once the suspension/tire pressures were sorted out) and look forward to dialing this bike in a bit more and putting some decent tires on the bike. I mostly use the bike for commuting and hitting the back roads. I think the GSXS is a very good street bike, even naked it's not too bad with heated gear and loose arms on those windy days. Definitely a fun bike and it does move decently once the powerband is reached. A lot of people complain that the bike is "choppy" however, maybe it's past experience but I have no complaints at all. I am looking forward to switching out the tires and going with a higher profile (from a 190/50 to a 190/55) which should work well with this chasis. I will say that Suzuki should get a big hats off for the stock exhaust, it actually looks good (IMO) and sounds good so, this may be the first bike that I will actually leave the stock exhaust on. Of course, the Z is all blacked out which helps in the style department. Very good looking bike and I wish I bought it sooner!

My other bike is a 2016 R1 which I may race in endurance races but, in all honesty I am still not 100% sure as going from a 600 to a 1000 especially the crazy power the R1 has is a bit of a change and I am still trying to determine if it will suit my style of riding.

I would say that the only complaint is that the front fork settings from the factory are a bit stiff compared to the rear's spring rates so, dialing out some compression/rebound made a very big difference. Of course, that's also dependent on a rider's weight.

A little about me...

I've been riding since 04 and raced an R6 with CCS Mid-Atlantic from 2005 to 2010 AM #410 and have ridden a variety of bikes/brands including supermoto.

I'm looking forward to learning more about this bike. I'm in N. VA and I work/ride a lot near Manassas so if you see one...it's probably me. I have yet to see another one.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2017, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Hi there welcome and congratulations on the bike!
Yes the bike isn't perfect and as you already know the suspension does have some shortcomings. However for the price how good is it? After setting the bikes suspension sag for your weight and application I am sure you will enjoy the bike for what it's for. I also softened the front end and have a set up using all of its travel is a much better proposition to what my other bikes have required. Yes tyres make a big difference and I answered (or I tried ) your question on the "Tire & Misc Equipment " thread.
Good luck with it, compared to your other bikes may not be as fast but very stable and certainly more comfortable!
Regards
Jeffro

Last edited by Jeffro; 12-14-2017 at 07:13 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-15-2017, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Hi there welcome and congratulations on the bike!
Yes the bike isn't perfect and as you already know the suspension does have some shortcomings. However for the price how good is it? After setting the bikes suspension sag for your weight and application I am sure you will enjoy the bike for what it's for. I also softened the front end and have a set up using all of its travel is a much better proposition to what my other bikes have required. Yes tyres make a big difference and I answered (or I tried ) your question on the "Tire & Misc Equipment " thread.
Good luck with it, compared to your other bikes may not be as fast but very stable and certainly more comfortable!
Regards
Jeffro
I owned a hypermotard when they first came out and loved it so, I've always like the looks and riding position of some of the sport naked bikes, the Z1000 was always one of my favorites and the GSXS1000 was another bike I've always liked. After commuting for a bit on my R1, I realized that I needed something comfortable and yet...decently fast (DC area commuting) and some decent handling. Hands down, the GSXS1000 checks all the boxes. The wind blast is not bad and after dialing in the suspension and tire pressure, the bike is exactly what I was after. Of course, it cannot handle like a supersport but as far as moderate riding and speed, IMO this bike is completely capable.

As you said, the forks stock were too stiff so, I softened the from compression/rebound and also the rear which now has balanced out the bike so it feels planted and turns in nicely.

My old commuter was a DR650 with supermoto rims on it so...this bike is worlds ahead however, for what the DR was, it did a good job. It was a bit lacking on highways however, on back roads it did well.

I really like the GSXS, it checks every box and after getting the suspension dialed in and figuring out air pressure with the stock tires, I am very happy with this bike!

post #4 of 7 Old 12-15-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
It IS a perfect bike, you'll love riding it. Welcome & steer clear of the local gobshites...LOL
landy10, Beaker and Deviousgsxs like this.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sigi View Post
It IS a perfect bike, you'll love riding it. Welcome & steer clear of the local gobshites...LOL
Agreed! After dialing it in...I am extremely happy with it!

Chris
2018 GSXS1000Z
2016 R1
post #6 of 7 Old 12-15-2017, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Welcome, I'm up the road a little in Upper Marlboro Md and my father in law is in Alexandria. Will have to meet for a ride next season..
post #7 of 7 Old 12-18-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I installed the Puig windscreen yesterday and what a difference it made, anyone looking for a little wind protection (especially if you ride in cold weather) I would recommend it. Installation was fairly easy as well and it looks like it fits right in as well. It's a fairly small windscreen (maybe 12 to 14 inches in length) however it's angled perfectly. I like that they have a bracket which bolts into the headlight assembly so, it's on there very solid as well and looks as though it was a stock piece.

Today the temps are finally going to warm up so, it will be nice to finally be able to see how well this bike handles turns when the tires have a chance to warm up. Since I bought the bike, my riding has been in low to mid 20 degree temps with the occasional low 30's.

Chris
2018 GSXS1000Z
2016 R1

Last edited by Deviousgsxs; 12-18-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page