wannabe - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-26-2017, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
wannabe

Hello all , riding a gsxr 1000 at the moment , I am going to have a ride on a gsxs1000 ,in a couple of days , with a view to change bikes am i going to be disappointed with the gsxs
,have many owners come from super sports?
johnno is offline  
post #2 of 13 Old 12-26-2017, 11:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Jeffro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 327
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Depends what your expectations are. Yes this is my first upright bike - coming from lots and lots sportbikes.
The bike is not a GSXR. It's another bike completely which happens to have a GSXR motor (albeit modified) from the past. Made cheaper and for a different purpose. It's typical Suzuki though simple and reliable and a bit more comfortable than a "sportsbike"
Test ride and see for yourself.
mike d likes this.

Last edited by Jeffro; 12-26-2017 at 11:49 PM.
Jeffro is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-27-2017, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
wannabe

Thanks for the reply Jeffro,yep I hear ya. had a fz1n good bike but even after a few mods the old r1 engine just made the power from 7 grand then went like a scalded cat not enough in the mid always felt that i had to be in license losing speeds for the motor to be responsive and punchy. and the seat wasn't as comfy as you'd think - ie the gsxr is better lol.
In the past i built a 7/11, ( like a bandit motor in a gsxr 750 chassis with flatsides etc) trying to chase the buzz of bigger torque ,with modern handling and brakes
cheers
johnno is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 Old 12-27-2017, 03:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bristol. UK
Posts: 1,030
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
I made the same change
My biggest worries were, Will it still handle and does it have enough poke.
First test ride I was disappointed with the engine. It appeared very bland. Then I turned the traction control, which was set to the "Sissy" setting, off and it felt like the bike came alive. Much Better
The handling was good enough. A lot will depend on your local roads. The front is fully adjustable and can be made to suit most situations but I soon found the short comings of the rear. If you have a lot of straight roads or smooth surfaces, it's not too bad but we've got a lot of twisty bumpy country roads around me and as soon as the pace gets turned up it was having trouble keeping up with the rest of the bike.
Other than that, it ticks all the boxes without having to pay the price of a Multistrada. I've thrown a lot at mine over the last two years from touring to racing and commuting and it's never missed a beat or struggles with any of it.
A great all rounder if you ask me.

Pull my finger
Beaker is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-27-2017, 04:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
well if you like a hotrod feel and we well know hotrods arnt the fastest...but there the ultimate drug for the mind...plus the extra bonus you wont want to get off the machine...looking forward to what you think....there are some good shields for the s that do a good job for high speed riding
LEAVEITSTOCK is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Packmule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lincolnton NC
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
I have a hayabusa and had a SV 650. My GSX S 1000 replaced the SV. It doesn't handle as well as the SV but has no problem with the Tuonos I ride with. It's way more comfortable with way more power than the SV. My hayabusa is big heavy fast and loud. The GSX S is quiet, handles very well and most important for me, comfortable. I can ride all day in the mountains and never ache(SV) or become worn out(hayabusa) on the GSX S.
lumberjack likes this.
Packmule is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 PM
Senior Member
 
mike d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah U.S.A.
Posts: 1,749
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Depends what your expectations are. Yes this is my first upright bike - coming from lots and lots sportbikes.
The bike is not a GSXR. It's another bike completely which happens to have a GSXR motor (albeit modified) from the past. Made cheaper and for a different purpose. It's typical Suzuki though simple and reliable and a bit more comfortable than a "sportsbike"
Test ride and see for yourself.
I agree, and I think for the price, you can not get a better compromise for performance and every day livability. I also think for a long ride, you will find it's much better then "a bit more comfortable". I'm no iron-butt guy, but I have had no problem with 200+ mile rides, and I mean NO problem. I can only speak for the F, but on the freeway, it's rock solid stable, and I actually like the stock screen, (it works for my 5' 10" scrawny meat), and the stock seat is the best stock seat I've had.
Rusty likes this.
mike d is online now  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-28-2017, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
I have a hayabusa and had a SV 650. My GSX S 1000 replaced the SV. It doesn't handle as well as the SV but has no problem with the Tuonos I ride with. It's way more comfortable with way more power than the SV. My hayabusa is big heavy fast and loud. The GSX S is quiet, handles very well and most important for me, comfortable. I can ride all day in the mountains and never ache(SV) or become worn out(hayabusa) on the GSX S.
packmule..cool name...i never owned a sv650 but find it hard to believe it handle better then the S..is it the fact its a smaller bike and most bikes smaller could say the same...i dont do track but there is no way in hxll the sv will handle better at fast highway speeds or highway period ....cant see feeling safer on a sv over a S ..theres highway performance to think about also.....or quality of ride.on side roads...i just dont see it
LEAVEITSTOCK is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Packmule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Lincolnton NC
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
packmule..cool name...i never owned a sv650 but find it hard to believe it handle better then the S..is it the fact its a smaller bike and most bikes smaller could say the same...i dont do track but there is no way in hxll the sv will handle better at fast highway speeds or highway period ....cant see feeling safer on a sv over a S ..theres highway performance to think about also.....or quality of ride.on side roads...i just dont see it

Stock the SV suspension is junk, bargain basement bike. I had racetechs in the front and ZX6R shock in the rear. SV was about 80 lbs lighter than the S big difference in handling from the weight alone. I ride very tight technical roads so size is a penalty. Motards own the roads that I generally ride. There is a reason a lot of SV's are track ridden, they are fast. Corner speed is where it's at not straight line. I embarrassed a bunch of people at the track with my underpowered SV. Until you ride a properly setup SV don't judge it.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
Packmule is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-29-2017, 06:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Rusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
Stock the SV suspension is junk, bargain basement bike. I had racetechs in the front and ZX6R shock in the rear. SV was about 80 lbs lighter than the S big difference in handling from the weight alone. I ride very tight technical roads so size is a penalty. Motards own the roads that I generally ride. There is a reason a lot of SV's are track ridden, they are fast. Corner speed is where it's at not straight line. I embarrassed a bunch of people at the track with my underpowered SV. Until you ride a properly setup SV don't judge it.
Sounds like the S can be thought of as in between the SV and Hayabusa. As in better handling than the Hayabusa and more power than the SV. Well where ever it is, I can say that I love my GSXS100F. And it has Suzuki reliability and reasonable cost of ownership to boot, and I personally like that its not loud.
mike d and Packmule like this.
Rusty is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome