post #1 of 20 Old 01-14-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Born Again!

Aloha all!

Having been a long-time stalker on the bylanes and alleyways of gsxs1000.org, I think itís finally time to emerge from the shadows and embrace the warm sunlight of the gsxs fraternity!

In Jan 2017, I discovered that it's faster than a speeding bullet. The crouching tiger, hidden dragon in red and black looked lightning fast standing. And in that instant, the na'vi in me was bonded to my toruk (please excuse Avatar references ).
I come from India, which is a huge market for motorcycles. 17.6 million 2-wheelers were sold in India in 2017, of which 11 million were motorcycles. By comparison, the US bought 487,000 motorcycles in 2016. So as you can see, motorcycles are a part of everyday life in India (understatement!).

Let's go back, though. Rewind to 2005, when I was in my mid-20s. Having ridden all over India through my engineering and business school days on a pint-sized 110cc Kawasaki Caliber, I was ready to hang up my biking boots. Moving to the capital (New Delhi) and having begun professional life with a respectable corporate job, I thought I had matured, grown up. Then, Hero Honda (one of the largest Indian motorcycle manufacturers) launched the Karizma, a 223cc 'sportbike' that personified power and speed. And of course you could have it in red! With one test ride in March 2005, I was smitten. It was sinful, this heady cocktail of raw power and refined all-day touring comfort. I clearly remember thinking, life will never be the same again if I don't join forces with this tour-de-force of engineering excellence. Thus began the second chapter of my biking life.

Many miles later, in 2010, I had to re-visit the painful decision of retirement, and this time it was for real. It was time to part ways with my trusted steed, the Karizma. The travel pressures of a consulting job left no room for the biking pleasures of a motorcycle man. Thus, I moved on with life, traveling, working, missing (my ride).

Years passed, and my work and travels brought me to the US. As I settled down and struck roots here, I realized that the laws of physics, aging and culture were different here. In this land of the free, middle-aged professionals neednít renounce their wide-eyed boyhood dreams. Immaculate conception happened and the seed of two wheels was once again planted in the fertile embryo of my juvenile mind. This was followed by fervent research, and the application of statistical and spreadsheet tools to zero in on the Ďperfectí bike for me. A complex linear programming solver model implemented in Excel guided me irrevocably and unequivocally towards one choice: the GSXS-1000F. Thousands of Youtube videos and rideapart articles later, motorcycle maintenance classes had been taken, dealers had been contacted, deals negotiated, winter timing finalized as the best time to score a deal, and voila Ė I was at Motorcycle Mall in Belleville, NJ, gaping at the new-born brute in shining black and red armor!

That first ride home on a cold 42 F evening went from 15 miles to 45 miles in the blink of an eye. The jump from 223cc to a liter-bike turned out to be so much more than I could ever have planned for. The ride from Jersey City, NJ to Rhode Island on a blustery Jan morning was a saga of re-discovery, but that is a topic for another story, another day. I now reside in beautiful New England, pushing the limits of winter riding and reveling in the miles of back-country byways that RI, MA and CT have to offer. If I have a regret, it is that I haven't encountered a single other Gixxus in all my time here - hoping that this beginning here will put an end to that!

And friends, that is how I was born, yet again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZMA.jpg (295.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Pitstop 2.jpg (447.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Indio-2.jpg (155.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Indio.jpg (218.5 KB, 36 views)
Gnomie and G-Dub like this.
post #2 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)

Matured? Grown up?
Iím sorry, I canít relate
That just doesnít happen in the biking fraternity. Everybody knows biking will keep you young.
Welcome Aboard! And donít loose your way again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LEAVEITSTOCK and sritwik like this.

Pull my finger
post #3 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
live in same area also...some day well we will meet for a coffee or what ever the hxll you drink
sritwik likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Beaker wrote
Quote:
That just doesnít happen in the biking fraternity. Everybody knows biking will keep you young.
Quite agree, I'm in my 76th childhood.
mcm likes this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #5 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Wow. I have an FJR1300 and had a GSX-R750 prior to the GSX-S1000 and this bike totally blew me away and put a huge grin on my face.

But from a 223cc bike to this? Geez, I bet your coworkers wish you'd shut up and stop talking about the bike and get that permanent grin off your face. That's like going from setting off firecrackers to nuclear weapons.

Congrats on the ride, I'm quite certain you are enjoying it.

Oh yea, and I too watched a crap ton of videos trying to make my choice.
mcm, sritwik and TheDude like this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #6 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome sritwik! Great story! That Karizma looks a lot like a Ninja 250. Great little bike. I had a Ninja 500 for a few years and loved it.
Your in-depth analysis with a speadsheet came to the same conclusion as my internet searching did after I saw one at a dealer and sat on it. Once I finally got a test ride, I knew it was what I wanted, and now, a little less than a year later, I'm still convinced it's the best all a-rounder for the money (and maybe for any money). Looking forward to your posts!
sritwik likes this.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Great story! I am always on the look out for the next bike, but, there is nothing out there right now that could replace the gixxus.
I live in plymouth, ma and would be happy to get our bikes together for a ride if you are ever up this way. It's amazing to me also that I haven't seen another gixxus on the road in the 2 years i've owned mine. Other bikers just don't know what they're missing.
Please feel free to get in touch with me!
Bret
sritwik likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

@mike d - thank you. Yes, it's a single so am guessing it's derived from the Honda CBR250r. We got my wife a 2012 lime-green Ninja 250 and that twin is so much fun higher up in the rev range. But that's a whole other story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker View Post
Beaker wrote Quite agree, I'm in my 76th childhood.
@dekker - you're my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
live in same area also...some day well we will meet for a coffee or what ever the hxll you drink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemil View Post
Great story! I am always on the look out for the next bike, but, there is nothing out there right now that could replace the gixxus.
I live in plymouth, ma and would be happy to get our bikes together for a ride if you are ever up this way. It's amazing to me also that I haven't seen another gixxus on the road in the 2 years i've owned mine. Other bikers just don't know what they're missing.
Please feel free to get in touch with me!
Bret
@LEAVEITSTOCK , @Bemil - yes, would be great to catch up and do a ride some time! I'm looking out for good weather (i.e., north of 45 deg F and dry. Hopefully, no salt on the roads). Let me know if one of the coming weekends looks promising for you guys and we'll stitch it together.

So long folks, see you around!
post #9 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Thanks @gixxerjasen . Yes, it's been a total blast. Have racked up 5,000+ miles thus far, many of them boring interstate miles but some have been more fun than others. Bear Mt near NYC offers some great winding B-roads, and so too do some of the state routes here in New England. However, 30mph and 45mph speed limits are a kill-joy.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM
mcm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Hope to make it as far as you have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker View Post
Beaker wrote Quite agree, I'm in my 76th childhood.
Nice to know that you still ride, and do wish you the best in good health for all the years to come.

A couple of years ago an local elderly rider (much older than you/80+) passed away (natural causes at home as far as i know), yet he rode every day with work as a courier and real estate signing agent until it was time to depart.
He rode a Kaw/Concourse.

Sure hope to ride until the time comes as well

PS : Nice posts (all 10 of them)
dekker likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page