21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Possible info on buying a gsxs 1000.

I own 3 bikes, kinda. I own a 2013 gsxr 750, 2005 Harley sportster 883, and a 2016 puma 125. my friend recently purchased a 2017 z900 and he loves it. This is my first time being around a naked styled bike and I love it. I was looking at the new 18 gsxs1000's blue/black combo and have some questions.

How would it be compared to my 13 750? I worry that if I buy it, I wont like it as much as my 750, or I will like it more than my 750 and wont ride one of the two. I use the highway everyday to get to the cities, but I ride a mix of city and highway. do they have windscreens for the 18s? Are they just enjoyable/comfortable in comparison to the 13 750 gsxr?

I have my 13 modded out with ecu flash etc, and it is butter smooth and fast, 12k effort free miles even tracked days. I will post a few pics for heck of it, if you had an 2013 gsxr 750, would you buy a 18 gsxs1000 I guess is what it comes down too?

I called local dealers and those son of a guns are telling me like 12-13k OTD prices on these bikes, its ridiculous. I will definitely be waiting for a leftover bike in winter or spring next year regardless.

Opinions/thoughts/things I should consider. I sold the 2007 gsxr 600, because I never rode it (since I have the 2013 gsxr 750) I worry about either never riding the gsxs 1000 or gsxr 750 if I owned both. That is why I want your opinions on owning both bikes or just waiting in general or passing.

What prices should I be aiming for for a 2018 black/blue abs model? Thats what I want, dont want the other colors honestly. Never had a bike with abs either so I'd opt for it. Is the gsxs 750 worth looking at or no?

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 08-25-2018 at 02:24 AM.
post #2 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
I had a heavily modified 2006 GSX-R750 for six months of great riding weather and put 300 miles on it. I was always on my FJR because it was better for the street. I had my GSX-S1000 now for four months of which we've had all kinds of terrible weather and I've had an impossibly busy schedule that almost didn't have me riding at all the entire month of March. I'm about to turn over 1000 miles on the GSX-S1000. I love this bike for the street, it's absolutely fantastic.

Depending on how you want to use it you might also consider the F model. Much better for touring and stuff but I do love my naked. My naked is for fun only, but if I didn't have the FJR the F model might be the bike to fill both roles.

Personally, I'd look for a leftover as there are still plenty of them out there. I picked up my 2016 in January for $8K and some of the F models have actually been going for much less. Not enough difference in the model years to justify the $4K difference you are seeing really. I would NOT pay a premium for a current model year bike. I don't see your location but you quoted in dollars, and naked bikes just aren't as popular in the US and they hang out in the dealer longer, you should be able to find some 2016 or 2017 models that dealers are anxious to get rid of.

From this:

To this:

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F

Last edited by gixxerjasen; 05-06-2018 at 02:43 AM.
post #3 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Same deal here, I traded my 4th gsxr750 in last summer on a leftover gsxs1000 and got otd for 7500.00 plus fees so about 8100.00 usd. I loved all my gsxrs, smooth handling low seat height (I'm 5'8) tons of aftermarket goodies. Inmho the gsxr 750 is the perfect street super sport. Plenty of power and same insurance as a 600. At almost 50 years old though I had only put about 300 miles on my 06 in the previous 2 years mostly due to the riding position causing me back and neck pain. It just took the fun out of riding after about 30 minutes and especially in when stuck in slow traffic. Got my gsxs last July and just turned over 3100 miles yesterday. Gobs of power ,abs,tc, close to super sport handling, and ride all day comfortable. The only downside to the naked is the high speed wind buffeting. I do plan on getting a small screen to reduce this a bit but I can't speak highly enough about this bike for getting back in the saddle and loving riding.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

The solution is almost always more throttle!

post #4 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 AM

20170511_121240_1525616930273.jpg

post #5 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61 View Post
Same deal here, I traded my 4th gsxr750 in last summer on a leftover gsxs1000 and got otd for 7500.00 plus fees so about 8100.00 usd. I loved all my gsxrs, smooth handling low seat height (I'm 5'8) tons of aftermarket goodies. Inmho the gsxr 750 is the perfect street super sport. Plenty of power and same insurance as a 600. At almost 50 years old though I had only put about 300 miles on my 06 in the previous 2 years mostly due to the riding position causing me back and neck pain. It just took the fun out of riding after about 30 minutes and especially in when stuck in slow traffic. Got my gsxs last July and just turned over 3100 miles yesterday. Gobs of power ,abs,tc, close to super sport handling, and ride all day comfortable. The only downside to the naked is the high speed wind buffeting. I do plan on getting a small screen to reduce this a bit but I can't speak highly enough about this bike for getting back in the saddle and loving riding.

You nailed my 100% concern is the highway buffeting. I literally live 30 seconds from highway, I hop on and do 10-15mins to any and all cities then its city. I dont take Harley on highway much due to no windshield, my gsxr 750 is so comfortable thru it. I dont know how well a windscreen will help, I am very interested to find out for speeds around 70mph.

Also, do they make an integrated tail light lens that fits in the stock location? I want turn signals, I will remove that whale tail. Theres an 1k rebate currently dropping price from 10.7 to 9.7 and my friend says he has a friend who's a dealer can possibly knock another grand down. whether or not its talk im interested in learning these concerns beforehand. Honestly my 750 is awesome, I just really like the way the gsxs' look lol.

I do dig this Puig windscreen, I have a Puig on my gsxr currently.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...gsxs-1000-2016

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 05-06-2018 at 10:58 AM.
post #6 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Your garage if fantastic. I doubt 15 minutes at 70 mph will make you regret getting a naked, but I've never had a supersport to know the difference.
post #7 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 AM

My understanding is that the small windscreens help I don't have any problems around 70mph it's when I hit 90mph + that it's a problem and just a little lean forward helps a lot. I think that the small puig and leaning in a bit will negate most of the issue at higher speeds. But you will never get a naked to cut the wind like full faired bike. As for around town this things a blast and easy to lane split with. If you lane split stay away from the bar end mirrors the bars fairly wide so making it wider is probably not for the best. I am honestly so happy I've left this bike almost stock. I did a tail tidy that's about it the exhaust is good enought for me after years of two brothers drone in my ear I'm glad it's quieter.
I used the vagabond fender eliminator it uses stock or aftermarket signals and tag light and bolts up with a nice fit.

post #8 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Scooby, that color scheme on your gixxer is hot. I wish mine had the black tank so I could wrap my blue panels yellow.

As for the wind buffeting, here's my personal thoughts.

1. I do get an odd helmet vibration on windy days when the wind is blowing from a particular direction. Haven't nailed it down but it's very annoying.
2. I live right next to the highway, and Dallas is all highways so you are almost always on them no matter what. I have a 50 mph one way commute to work and it's not a big deal.
3. The wind blast reminds you to slow the **** down. Really, you feel like you are going faster than you are. It's kind of a good thing when it comes to speeding tickets.
4. I don't have any noticeable effects from the wind on my naked with no extra screen until I hit about 80mph. After that it's very noticeable. Ease up to 90 and you need to be tucked.
5. There's a solution to #4 above. Go 100-110 for a few minutes and slow down to 90. It'll feel like you are going 60.
6. Several windscreen options available. I've found they are all pretty ugly or too big or too much money (Yoshimura, I'm looking at you here) and I really haven't found the wind to be that troublesome. Worst case, get the F model and it'll be like having your GSX-R750 with extra power and comfortable seating.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
post #9 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
I have a 2016 naked GSXS and the Puig windscreen works great. I don't even think about wind blast anymore. I also found that the stock fork preload setting is too stiff for my 170 pounds and is what makes the naked models front end feel too "lively". Reducing preload to the fourth line has made the front end super stable and gives tons of feedback. I have rebound at 5 and compression at 6. Feels plush but controlled except for square edged bumps, which still feel a bit harsh....but way better than the factory set up.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #10 of 181 Old 05-06-2018, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerjasen View Post
1. I do get an odd helmet vibration on windy days when the wind is blowing from a particular direction. Haven't nailed it down but it's very annoying.
Ditto, windy days can beat you up. If I'm going a long way I'll lay on the tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page