LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-17-2018, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New Owner

Hey all,

Just got my GSXS 1000 today. Naked version.
It was a hold over 2016 model and I got a very good deal.
It is the matte grey or whatever they call it non abs.
Not my first choice of colors but its cool plus given the choice I would have gone abs but hey, I rode non abs bikes for a long time.
Great bike of course.
I have probably owned about 25-30 bikes over the years, from supersports to HD Roadglides.

Riding impressions....
first off I am about 5'9 with a 30" inseam. Surprising how bent up my short legs are from seat to the pegs. I have to imagine taller riders must feel scrunched.
Of course the bike is pretty fast, we all knew that walking in the door. Handles better than I thought it would, stable at higher speeds too.
Riding it, it feels A LOT like the Suzuki B-King I used to have. Power to weight ratio might be a little better on the GSXS, but dynamics are similar, especially how both bikes put A LOT of weight on the front tire. Engine characteristics are similar to my old 2001 Suzuki GSXR1k.
The GSXS, if memory serves correct has more power down low...IDK, its been awhile since Ive owned the 2001. lol
Anyway, lots of weight over the front tire...I guess Suzuki wants to keep the front end down but I guess they havent figured out most folks who buy naked bikes with 160 or so crank hp want wheelie machines....ha.
Ok, nuff said on that....
The seat is a bit short for me front to back as I like to sit back in the seat but the back of the seat tilts up pitching me forward a bit, more weight on the front wheel.
Im going to get some bar risers, I think that will make me a little more comfortable. Fairly comfortable as is, except for the couple of niggling issues that are my own personal opinions or due to my body type. I seem to have longish arms for my size so maybe thats it. ha.
I put about 100 or so miles on it today. Does not power wheelie up like I thought it would (TC off) for a bike with its power to weight ratio.
See the part about the weight over the front tire. Im not saying it wont, its just not as easy as I thought.
The stock exhaust sounds great as is. No need for after market unless you just like it L O U D. Did notice some heat down by my right foot/ankle area, Im sure due to the cat. I would like to cut the cat out and weld in a straight pipe. That will make it a little louder, maybe a couple ticks of power and run a bit cooler. Great sound as is though.
Needs a fender eliminator bad.
Would like a screen for chilly weather but I dont want to drill holes in it.
The rear passenger pegs are coming off tomorrow.
The other bike I considered was a XSR900. Probably a tad more comfortable for me, but I am happy in my purchase.
Great bike!

* Almost forgot!
Ive read a lot on here about snatchy throttle, fueling issues, etc...
I didnt really notice that, what I noticed was maybe some good driveline lash.
Yes, maybe the fueling is abrupt from closed throttle to on throttle but I think its more driveline lash than anything else.
I think if you guys are tuning them out its more the tuners are deadening the on throttle part to slow down the fueling from part throttle to on throttle thus lessening the driveline lash maybe?
IDK.
Whatever it is I think its normal for the bike.

Last edited by evomind; 06-17-2018 at 02:49 AM.
post #2 of 9 Old 06-17-2018, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome aboard, definitely need to intentionally wheelie to get more than a few inches. Not a lot of surprises or casual ones. Glad you're enjoying it.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Welcome, you've owned a lot of bikes over the years! How does the GSXS stack up on your list?

post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2018, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, and don't think about the snatchy throttle too much. If you don't think you have it, you don't have it. If you think about it too much, you might start imagining it.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2018, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, good choice.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2018, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Welcome and congrats. Yes, this bike has some driveline lash. Its one of the first things I noticed about mine when I got it. Not too bad, but its there.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-20-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Driveline lash def there.....Again I think the tuners tune the on throttle to come on very slow to deaden that driveline lash.....
If I were a track day junkie it would probably really bother me but track days are behind me so it really doesn't bother me.

I rotated the handlebar up which also moves it forward and the riding position is much easier for me now. I also have a handlebar riser coming tomorrow.
Why oh why didn't they make our cables even a 1/2 longer?? Don't they know part of the beauty of handle bars is adjustability? First time, Suzuki?

How does this bike compare to other bikes Ive had???
Hmmmm...Owned a lot of supersports over the years but the last one I owned the 2001 GSXR1k. I had cams and headwork done to it, a custom underseat exhaust and carbon fiber rims.
Back then 180 or so at the wheel was A LOT.
The S feels like that before all the work as far as engine feel goes. Yes, I know theyre different gens from our current engine but based on my crappy memory ( it HAS been awhile) theyre similar.
Most recently I had a 2014 Tuono. Loved the bike but it was too small and sold it to a guy. The Tuono didn't feel any faster by the seat of the pants, but was the best handling big cc bike ever.
More refined maybe than the S, more electronics, maybe lighter....
Ive owned 2 diff gens of Hayabusas….Totally diff feel.
The closest thing again, to me, would be the B-King as far as feel. They shouldn't be all that close, diff engines etc B king is heavier I think, but similar power to weight but the S is faster. riding position, and A LOT of weight over the front wheel. They choked up, detuned the b king and geared it pretty tall.
Our S is faster due to gearing perhaps. At least out of the box. I wanted to keep the B King but needed a few bucks and sold it. Overall the S is a better bike and used B Kings go for about what I paid for my hold over new S,
The S is one of the quickest bikes Ive ridden, it gets to 100+ hella fast. Someone told me 135 at the wheel...It feels quicker but Im not getting any younger either.

That said, I might get something smaller...lol. My son is a new rider, he took the safety class and Im teaching him to ride. I bought him an fz07 so I figured I would get something sporty. Couldn't beat the S dollar for dollar but probably not the best bike to ride with my son.
Its not riding "with" him if Im always about 2 miles ahead and Im afraid I wouldn't be setting a good example for him. Something about a bike like this...Just cant resist the temptations.
So in the end I might wind up with an MT09 or a xsr9....Not that they are slow bikes but they aren't in the S' league.
We'll see.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post

That said, I might get something smaller...lol. My son is a new rider, he took the safety class and Im teaching him to ride. I bought him an fz07 so I figured I would get something sporty. Couldn't beat the S dollar for dollar but probably not the best bike to ride with my son.
Its not riding "with" him if Im always about 2 miles ahead and Im afraid I wouldn't be setting a good example for him. Something about a bike like this...Just cant resist the temptations.
So in the end I might wind up with an MT09 or a xsr9....Not that they are slow bikes but they aren't in the S' league.
We'll see.
Nah! Give him some time to get some experiance and he'll soon be keeping up.
Nothing beats a bit of power, no matter how old you're getting
and it's always nice to put the young uns in their place occasionally

Welcome Aboard!

Pull my finger
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
I am about 5'9 with a 30" inseam. Surprising how bent up my short legs are from seat to the pegs. I have to imagine taller riders must feel scrunched.
I'm 6' with 34" inseam, my legs definitely don't fit into the recesses of the tank. But sport bikes are scrunchy, and this one's not too bad, as far as they go.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page