LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-11-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Lincs UK

Hi All

Have been browsing for few days and thought it was time to break cover. Have a 17 plate 18MY Phantom ex-demo I got with 67 miles on it in March this year after trading in my Blade.

This is my first Suzuki after 4 Hondas but I am loving the bike and doing lots of miles on it compared to recent years, still not that many compared to some though as I only get to go out on the weekends. Don't hate me to much for the Hondas, I did pass my test on a GS500

Spending a lot of time reading up on threads covering the multitude of throttle issue as on the last ride the bike suddenly surged forwards whilst crawling in slow traffic. I got lucky and just managed to stop before the car and kerb I was heading towards at a fair lick of speed. Before that I had only had some minor throttle issues when on some dodgy roads, but had put that down to me doing something daft like being to firm on the bars. I am going to try and check the TPS this weekend, but the longer term plan is a visit to Hilltop Motorcycles in Hinckley to have them work their magic on the ECU.

No big mods done, but have fitted an EvoTech tail tidy and got the dealer to fit a ScotOiler for me. I wish I had found this site earlier as wasted money on TechSpec and EaziGrips tank grips, and now have Stomp Grips instead. Just in case anyone has OCD I better warn you I still have the TechSpecs on the tank and only have Stomp Grips on the plastic side panels

Also hoping to wire in some heated grips this weekend as long as the connectors arrive in time to use the aux power behind the dash. Then need to try and figure out how to get the tank off so I can run a 12v feed for sat nav etc. Already have the relay and connectors for that and will be having the relay switched by the tail light, but I need to get a Service Manual as my mechanical ability is not good compared to my mess-it-up ability.

Off to the NEC in November and may get some replacement indicators, I really liked the Oxford Nanos I fitted to the blade. No plans to replace the Zorst yet, but could be tempted by a RaceFit next year once the house has stopped bleeding me dry!

I don't have any recent pics but here's one from not too long after I fitted the tail tidy. Chicken Strips were free options from the dealer and I am doing my best to look after them
dekker and Slower and Slower like this.
post #2 of 10 Old 09-11-2018, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome to the forum, excellent first post.
Barstewardsquad likes this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #3 of 10 Old 09-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Welcome Aboard
I went for the Oxford heated grips. Very easy to fit and they shut down automatically if you switch the ignition off and forget to power down.
Thereís a connector for spare power sockets fitted as std. Iíve got the F versions itís in a different place but yours is up by the headlights if I remember rightly.
Do a quick search and Iím sure youíll find some pictures on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull my finger

post #4 of 10 Old 09-11-2018, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the welcome folks.

Yes I've seen the threads about the aux socket and have ordered the proper connector for it as I can be a bit particular about electrics. I'm fitting Oxford Advanced Sports grips as I've used other Oxford models before, albeit with mixed results, but they do honour the warranty period. I'm going to wire them to the aux socket as I don't quite trust auto power down to not go wrong. Ironically for a geeky IT bod I can be a bit of a Luddite about some tech.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Get along to Hilltop ASAP and get the reflash done and all your worries will be over.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-12-2018, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt View Post
Get along to Hilltop ASAP and get the reflash done and all your worries will be over.
Hi Tony,
Welcome back. I thought you had rode off into the sunset of late. You've been a bit quiet here.
Looks like the ECU flash is still a 100% smile fixture for you.
How long then, about 6 months now ? and no issues through the Euro heat waves of Summer?

Rob.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Hi from Durham. I'd personally recommend either John Warrington at Malton near York or Dragon Bikes near me in Durham for an ECU reflash, I've used both in the past for ECU work and both are very good IMO, not personally a fan of Hilltop myself and know many others who feel the same way. research before you book in for a reflash.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
I had Hilltop reflash my bike when it was a few weeks old back in September 2015 when no one else had any reflash options for the GSX-S. The unpredictable surge was exactly what I wanted to cure, which it did, but the bike still had a 'hair trigger' throttle which, although predictable, became a bit of a chore to live with in the end.

When riding the XR at a constant 30 on our crappy roads, I can see and feel my hand moving the throttle slightly over the rough stuff, yet it sits perfectly at 30, something that the GSX-S would never do. In hindsight, if I had my time with the GSX-S again, I would fit a throttle tamer (before I fitted the heated grips!) to cure the 'hair trigger' and a reflash to cure the unpredictable surge. Not sure if I would go back to Hilltop though as there are more options available now and something doesn't quite feel right with the Hilltop methodology.

Take a look at the LED indicators on my bike here >> https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/gsxs-...tins-ride.html

I still have the front and back LED indicators as I never bothered to list them. They are £65 per pair from Germany, have 2 bright LEDs per unit and are e-approved.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263572280517

If you're interested in them, send me an offer by PM.

Cheers - Martin

2015 GSX-S1000FA L6 in Glass Sparkle Black / Candy Daring Red
post #9 of 10 Old 09-13-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to track down a UK/EU source for the throttle tamer, M&P seem to sell them but don't show the GSXS in the supported model list.

Not doing the indicators for a few months yet.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Hi Tony,
Welcome back. I thought you had rode off into the sunset of late. You've been a bit quiet here.
Looks like the ECU flash is still a 100% smile fixture for you.
How long then, about 6 months now ? and no issues through the Euro heat waves of Summer?

Rob.
Hey Rob .. Hows you ol lad.. yep I'm still deeply in love with my GSXS1000 although not giving it the attention and tinkering she deserves as been involved with my son's GSXR 600 and 1000 race bikes.. But the race season is nearly over so will be tinkering with the old girl asap... Hope all good you end.
Slower and Slower likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page