2016 GSX-S1000A owner in Texas Hill Country - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-22-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
frog4aday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Texas Hill Country (1hr NW of San Antonio)
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2016 GSX-S1000A owner in Texas Hill Country

Hey, name is Michael. I'm mostly a lurker, learning what I can about my 'new-to-me' motorcycle, but was 'encouraged' to post this intro, so here goes.


I bought a very low mileage 2016 machine and got it out for a 150 mile ride last week. Impressions?
1) Engine is AMAZING! The thing pulls from anywhere. 2000rpm in 6th gear? No problem. Just pulls away. And I thought my CBR929RR was a 'grunt' machine, but this thing blows that engine away.
2) Transmission is very slick and smooth shifting. Love that. Oddly, the gap between 5th gear and 6th gear is ridiculously small. Shift from 5th to 6th and your RPMs only drop by 250. There needs to be a greater difference between these two gears.
3) Suspension - front is good. Lots of adjustment available and can use different fork oil if still not happy. No issues here. Rear shock is about as sophisticated as a hammer. Preload and rebound is all you can play with but the problem is the high-speed compression dampening. It is too stiff. Bumps pound through and give your kidneys a workout they don't need. Looks like Wilbers will get $840 to send me a shock with high-speed and low-speed compression dampening capability (on top of the usual rebound and spring preload, of course.)
4) Seat - feels good at first. Then after an hour, it is a plank. At the end of two hours, you are begging for mercy. Well, maybe not you slim, light fellows and ladies, but for a beefy boy like me, I gotta have a better seat. The slope becomes a nuisance over time, too. Keeps sliding you toward the tank. Maybe it's my size (6'2" with 34" inseam) but the factory saddle isn't cutting it for me. Looked to see what Corbin had and that seat is f-ugly! Dang. Too bad. Their seat foam is awesome. But I can't put that atrocity on the bike. I'll try the Saddlemen GP-V1 unit and see how that goes.

5) Handling - really good actually! Considering the poor quality rear shock, I was surprised. There is a lot of potential here. The bike centers the mass well and feels like it is aching to tear through the corners. The stock tires are okay (not awesome, but good.) I think some high quality rubber (with a 190/55 series rear tire in place of the 190/50 OEM item) and a quality rear shock will make this thing a threat to it's GSXR siblings.
6) Wind protection - I went for the 'naked' model but I'm starting to think that was an error. I love how it looks! And around town and below 70mph, it's fine. But for long-distant days at speed (70+mph for extended periods) it just isn't going to work out. Plus, who doesn't like to wring the bike's neck periodically to 'see what she'll do'? Getting to 120mph is okay, but above that, the wind blast is ferocious. Tried to push up to 125mph a few times and it was just a huge battle that I was losing. The bike may be able to go 140 or 150mph, but without any windscreen, you can forget about that. I bought the OEM fly-screen. We'll see how it does. It looks pretty skimpy (but quite sexy!) More riding will let me know soon enough if something taller is needed.


Previous owner put a tail-tidy on it and that is a 'must'! The atrocious appendage Suzuki stuck up it's arse is a crime of design. I'm sure they were trying to meet some kind of gov't regs. I get it. But once you own the bike, you've got to get rid of that 'thing'. The bike just looks so much better without it.


For what it is worth, I had a GREAT day riding the bike and getting to know it. It is fun. And that's what motorcycling should be - enjoyment that makes you forget the crap going on in the world (or your life) for a few hours. This bike provides that. Did I mention the engine is amazing?


Oh yeah, when I was researching this bike, I can't tell you how many times I read about the 'horrible off-throttle to on-throttle fueling.' I was prepared to send the ECU in to get it flashed. But that's not necessary. This bike is no big deal in that regard. Take out the massive amount of slack in the throttle (adjuster is super easy to access) and it's good. I think a lot of this comes down to what you've ridden before. Try riding a CBR929RR and THEN tell me how bad the GSX-S throttle is coming off closed plates! Compared to that bike, this thing is great. And I learned to ride the 929, so applying those skills here comes naturally. Heck, maybe I just got lucky and got a 2016 that was 'good to go' from the factory for some reason. But for those considering this bike but having read all the "it's really bad!" stories about the throttle response from closed throttle, take it with a grain of salt. Depending on what you've ridden before it may be a non-issue, or a minor thing you wouldn't have really paid attention to if there weren't so much teeth-grinding about it. Look, if you decide it IS bad on your bike, Danos Performance in Hemet, California, will flash the ECU for $180. Easy peasy. Cheaper than a PC-V, too.


Final thought - for me, the overall gearing on the bike is too low. Get it up to a true 75 to 80mph on the freeway and the engine is begging for an up-shift but...you are already in 6th gear! That's not working for me. Especially when the engine is 'tuned' for great low to mid-range already. I'm going UP one tooth on the front (from 17T to 18T) to see if that makes the gearing/ratios more to my liking. I'm not into wheelies, stunting, or droning around town. I live in TEXAS and the distances are far and the roads between the 'good stuff' can be a drone to endure and are best dispatched at an accelerated pace. I need gearing that is more suited to my riding style and location. I'm hoping it works out. Any improvement in fuel economy will be welcome as well. When you are crossing the vastness of West Texas, especially, the next gas station can be a long way off; any improvement in extending the range of the bike is a plus.



Hope you all are happy with your bikes. I love mine. I'll make it suit me (as everyone should with their own machine) and I will happily ride it for many years to come.



NOTE: If you've some how read this and come away offended or upset, I've either really screwed up (didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelers) or you are - perhaps - a bit too sensitive? No one said anything negative about YOUR bike. I'm just talking about MY bike. Cool?
Best to everyone.
Michael in the Hill Country of Texas (USA)
dekker, lumberjack, Gnomie and 2 others like this.
frog4aday is offline  
post #2 of 17 Old 11-22-2018, 07:25 PM
Senior Member
 
mike d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah U.S.A.
Posts: 1,617
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Michael! Nice review of compilation of your thoughts about your bike.

Like you said, I think the perceived throttle snatchyness does relate to what you're used to, and coming off an FZ-07, mine felt smooth too. And engine braking? The FZ was a lot worse than this. I really don't mine the seat. and it's the best OEM seat I've ridden (no two butts are alike in that regard though). Handling is great and even better since I swapped to Michelin Road 5s. I love the engine and the way it makes power and I really like the stock exhaust note too. I though the gearing was too tight at first, but now I've gotten used to it (and revving it out), and it doesn't bother me. How do you stick 6 gears in between 0 and 140 mph when you can hit 86 in first?
This bike loves to rev.
mike d is online now  
post #3 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 12:03 AM
Senior Member
 
gixxerjasen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome from Dallas. I'm quite jealous of your curves in your back yard. I need to set aside some time to fully read through this instead of skimming as I've done. Again, welcome.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
gixxerjasen is online now  
 
post #4 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Beaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bristol. UK
Posts: 994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Welcome Aboard!
Great Intro Mike, glad you're loving your new toy


Pull my finger
Beaker is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 08:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Australia.
Posts: 825
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Yes, welcome Michael !
I appreciate the time and effort of your write up.
For myself, that's about 2 hour's plus all up, as it takes a lot of editing and transposing lines to make it polished as you did for a 2 minute read by me.
The only time you'll wish for the old rear mudguard is in rain. It sucks all that muck flung up over your back. Pillion's especially love that trade off.

Rob.
Slower and Slower is online now  
post #6 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 09:34 PM
Senior Member
 
PhuketPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Phuket. Thailand
Posts: 1,235
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
I bought a very low mileage 2016 machine and got it out for a 150 mile ride last week. Impressions?
1) Engine is AMAZING! The thing pulls from anywhere. 2000rpm in 6th gear? No problem. Just pulls away. And I thought my CBR929RR was a 'grunt' machine, but this thing blows that engine away.
I agree, great engine and with a little work can become an awesome engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
2) Transmission is very slick and smooth shifting. Love that. Oddly, the gap between 5th gear and 6th gear is ridiculously small. Shift from 5th to 6th and your RPMs only drop by 250. There needs to be a greater difference between these two gears.
Unfortunately the transmission comes directly from the GSXR1000 and so is really designed for the track - A wider ratio gearbox would have been have been better - penny pinching

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
3) Suspension - front is good. Lots of adjustment available and can use different fork oil if still not happy. No issues here. Rear shock is about as sophisticated as a hammer. Preload and rebound is all you can play with but the problem is the high-speed compression dampening. It is too stiff. Bumps pound through and give your kidneys a workout they don't need. Looks like Wilbers will get $840 to send me a shock with high-speed and low-speed compression dampening capability (on top of the usual rebound and spring preload, of course.)
I agree rear is crap and the front is OK, until you change the back out, then the front doesn't seem so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
4) Seat - feels good at first. Then after an hour, it is a plank. At the end of two hours, you are begging for mercy. Well, maybe not you slim, light fellows and ladies, but for a beefy boy like me, I gotta have a better seat. The slope becomes a nuisance over time, too. Keeps sliding you toward the tank. Maybe it's my size (6'2" with 34" inseam) but the factory saddle isn't cutting it for me. Looked to see what Corbin had and that seat is f-ugly! Dang. Too bad. Their seat foam is awesome. But I can't put that atrocity on the bike. I'll try the Saddlemen GP-V1 unit and see how that goes.
I've ridden for 5 hours just stopping to refule with no issues, I suppose we are all different

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
5) Handling - really good actually! Considering the poor quality rear shock, I was surprised. There is a lot of potential here. The bike centers the mass well and feels like it is aching to tear through the corners. The stock tires are okay (not awesome, but good.) I think some high quality rubber (with a 190/55 series rear tire in place of the 190/50 OEM item) and a quality rear shock will make this thing a threat to it's GSXR siblings.
Love the handling, I now have 200/55 rear and it tips even better, Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2, brilliant tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
6) Wind protection - I went for the 'naked' model but I'm starting to think that was an error. I love how it looks! And around town and below 70mph, it's fine. But for long-distant days at speed (70+mph for extended periods) it just isn't going to work out. Plus, who doesn't like to wring the bike's neck periodically to 'see what she'll do'? Getting to 120mph is okay, but above that, the wind blast is ferocious. Tried to push up to 125mph a few times and it was just a huge battle that I was losing. The bike may be able to go 140 or 150mph, but without any windscreen, you can forget about that. I bought the OEM fly-screen. We'll see how it does. It looks pretty skimpy (but quite sexy!) More riding will let me know soon enough if something taller is needed.
I have the F and its better but not great for wind protection


Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Previous owner put a tail-tidy on it and that is a 'must'! The atrocious appendage Suzuki stuck up it's arse is a crime of design. I'm sure they were trying to meet some kind of gov't regs. I get it. But once you own the bike, you've got to get rid of that 'thing'. The bike just looks so much better without it.
Agreed, the stock tail looks crap, but wait till you ride in the rain with the tail tidy - your back, butt and legs get absolutely soaked


Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Oh yeah, when I was researching this bike, I can't tell you how many times I read about the 'horrible off-throttle to on-throttle fueling.' I was prepared to send the ECU in to get it flashed. But that's not necessary. This bike is no big deal in that regard. Take out the massive amount of slack in the throttle (adjuster is super easy to access) and it's good. I think a lot of this comes down to what you've ridden before. Try riding a CBR929RR and THEN tell me how bad the GSX-S throttle is coming off closed plates!
It seems every GSXS1000 is different, I've ridden quite a few and they all vary - sounds like you got a good one, but easily fixed anyhow/

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Final thought - for me, the overall gearing on the bike is too low. Get it up to a true 75 to 80mph on the freeway and the engine is begging for an up-shift but...you are already in 6th gear! That's not working for me. Especially when the engine is 'tuned' for great low to mid-range already. I'm going UP one tooth on the front (from 17T to 18T) to see if that makes the gearing/ratios more to my liking. I'm not into wheelies, stunting, or droning around town. I live in TEXAS and the distances are far and the roads between the 'good stuff' can be a drone to endure and are best dispatched at an accelerated pace. I need gearing that is more suited to my riding style and location. I'm hoping it works out. Any improvement in fuel economy will be welcome as well. When you are crossing the vastness of West Texas, especially, the next gas station can be a long way off; any improvement in extending the range of the bike is a plus.
I went the opposite, down 1 at the front, up 4 at the back (with a 200/55 though) but around here its mainly twisties - as above a wide ratio box would so much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Hope you all are happy with your bikes. I love mine. I'll make it suit me (as everyone should with their own machine) and I will happily ride it for many years to come.
Love my bike, almost 3 years now and I still can't think of another bike I would prefer (assuming I can only have 1 bike )

Welcome to the forum
PhuketPaul is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 11-23-2018, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Stromer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Fort Worth, Texas USA
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Welcome from Fort Worth.

I get down to the Hill Country every chance I get BUT I haven't brought my GSXS down there yet. That would require a trailer, lol.

Ron

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
Stromer is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 11-24-2018, 12:17 AM
Senior Member
 
gixxerjasen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromer View Post
Welcome from Fort Worth.

I get down to the Hill Country every chance I get BUT I haven't brought my GSXS down there yet. That would require a trailer, lol.

Ron
But you bought the touring edition?!?!?!

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
Family Bikes: 2006 Honda CRF70F | 2005 Honda CRF230F
gixxerjasen is online now  
post #9 of 17 Old 11-26-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
frog4aday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Texas Hill Country (1hr NW of San Antonio)
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quatro View Post
great inrto and hello

Hey Quatro, thanks for the positive feedback. Seems like a great group on here. Lots of folks from overseas who are true enthusiasts and a few (lucky ones) in the States who have discovered the best kept secret in motorcycling, the GSX-S1000. How did this bike slip past my radar for two years?! Glad I 'discovered' it (finally.) Perfect bike for me. Good riding to you.
Michael
frog4aday is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 11-26-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
frog4aday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Texas Hill Country (1hr NW of San Antonio)
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuketPaul View Post
I agree, great engine and with a little work can become an awesome engine

Unfortunately the transmission comes directly from the GSXR1000 and so is really designed for the track - A wider ratio gearbox would have been have been better - penny pinching

I agree rear (suspension) is crap and the front is OK, until you change the back out, then the front doesn't seem so good

I've ridden for 5 hours just stopping to refuel with no issues (regarding the seat); I suppose we are all different

Love the handling, I now have 200/55 rear and it tips even better, Pirelli Rosso Corsa 2, brilliant tyres

I have the F and its better (in regards to wind management) but not great for wind protection

Agreed, the stock tail looks crap, but wait till you ride in the rain with the tail tidy - your back, butt and legs get absolutely soaked

It seems every GSXS1000 is different, I've ridden quite a few and they all vary - sounds like you got a good one (regarding the abrupt throttle response some suffer), but easily fixed anyhow

(in regards to going up 1 tooth on the front sprocket) - I went the opposite, down 1 at the front, up 4 at the back (with a 200/55 though) but around here its mainly twisties - as above a wide ratio box would so much better

Love my bike, almost 3 years now and I still can't think of another bike I would prefer (assuming I can only have 1 bike ) Welcome to the forum

Hey Paul, I appreciate your detailed response. I can only imagine how different the riding conditions must be in Thailand vs. Texas! But your response makes it clear how great this bike is - with the appropriate mods, the big GSX-S can suit a wide range of riders in a lot of different conditions. The common trait is, once you set the bike up for your area and riding style, you can't help but love it! It's a great machine. Brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. Stay safe and I hope you keep loving your bike.
Michael
frog4aday is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome