10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 04-01-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Happy to be getting back in the saddle

I rode for 14 years and took a hiatus for the last 4. It is time to change that. I am torn between the gixxes 750z and the 1000z. My last bike was an ‘05 SV1000S (nothing will replace the sound of that bike in my heart). I know either will serve me well and they are about $1700 different (out the door).

Regardless of which I land my rear on, it will be good to be back to riding. Any input is welcome. I’m assuming the overwhelming opinion will be 1000z (yes I know what assuming does). It will be a regular commuter (mostly highway) with the occasional day trip. I won’t have tons of opportunity for track days, but it could be in the future (and I only have a wife’s patience for one bike).

Glad I found this forum though, reminds me of the sv forums I spent countless hours scouring, learning, and contributing to.
post #2 of 24 Old 04-01-2019, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Yes, your assuming would be correct. All things being equal, spring for the 1k if possible.

Good to have you on board!
jcahanes likes this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #3 of 24 Old 04-01-2019, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome aboard. I've always liked the SV's myself. Like Reagenn said go for the 1K if you can.
Enjoy whichever one you end up on.
jcahanes likes this.

post #4 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I'm coming back from a slightly longer hiatus as well and just picked up the 1000z. I thought I could pick up where I left off from my 600 days, be it track, twisties, commuting, etc, but that hiatus is no joke. I'm finding myself having to learn how to ride all over again. I kind of miss twisting that throttle on something smaller, tbh, because a slight tickle of the 1000 throttle feels like I'm being shot out of a cannon.
dekker and jcahanes like this.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Going from a SV1000 to an inline 4 750 would feel like a huge disappointment to me.
You would really miss the punch and it would feel like you are screaming it everywhere to do what you did previously at relative ease.
I'd go for the 1000

Pull my finger
post #6 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You right coming back after a break is hard , I tried to give up but only lasted a year before buying another bike Last year took me about a 1000 miles to get comfortable again .
I bought a little ktm 690 duke last year , it’s so much fun , but I still miss the grunt of a litre bike and the ability to be lazy with that power on longer rides , smaller bike your always working it which becomes tiring , hence choosing the 1000 f
Beaker likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Hi MotorMouth,
A BIG Welcome !
I'll assume you are from the USA, could you please fill out your Account with your Country as it an International Membership here.

Your SV lives on in the V Strom 1000.
I had both the Naked and the S, SV1K's when they were in their debut days, and presently have the V/S 1000 today. It handled as good as I remember the SV's, and the motor has not lost the urge to preform.
Back to your deliberations.

I am a frequent changer of bikes, and I am presently today and over the next fortnight seriously pondering what comes next in the Garage for the next 18 months.
Firstly, are you to buy new or pre loved ?

The 2016 GSX-S1000 was gifted with the 'snatchy throttle' that a few brands of bikes possess. The more power one has, the more it get's reported in review's and riders. Some Brands which have ride by wire, do an excellent job with the EFI emission controls, but our 1000 is not RBW.
Suzuki with the 2017/2018 (depending what your Country calls it) has largely fixed it, but some riders still find it there. I did a riders small review here on the Forum of a 2018 Australian 1000Z Naked and it absolutely fine.
The 2019 has further mechanical improvements to the throttle assembly to slow the build up on fast throttle opening and hopefully closing off the grip as well.

So when I talk of the GSX-S750, it's the current bike, not the older GSX-S750 version.
This bike is a lot tamer than the 1000 by a large margin. It only wakes up from 5000 RPM, then screams in a linear fashion. The 1000 gives serious grunt past 4000 and is like a J curve in comparison.

I am deeply considering both GSX-S bikes as they present different ownership options for me, but that's the rub today.

I had the 2016 GSX-S1000 Naked and it was a fine bike with a moderately affected throttle action which I rode around, BUT decided to keep my other then faired Honda bike over the GSX-S, so it went to another home. The 'other' became the VS 1000 as a sole bike.

This time around the 1000 Faired is the GSX_S variant in the ring, but Suzuki Au has not to date released the 2 colour's officially, but one is Triton Blue Metallic, and the other is a matte or gloss Black.
I hate to say it, but if it ends up in the Matte, I'll go with the hugely UNpopular colour here, the Blue. It's the 2016 all over again.

Choice 1 :The GSX-S750 in Triton Blue is a serious contender if I was to keep my excellent V Strom 1000.

Choice 2: Another option for me is to sell the VS1000 right now, buy the 2019 750 and at the end of the year in the run out sales, add a 2019 Black & White SV650X.

Choice 3: As the GSX-S1000 Naked or F is really one bike that does quite a few things well, and nothing much wrong that cannot be fixed if that's your want, and I would be very content to buy one again with the F as a sole bike for now.

Choice 4: The do nothing option.

The problem with 2 or multiple bikes and 1 rider (me), is that for me it takes too long to get the miles up, the standing idle costs irk me, and garage space is compromised.

Any idea's ? - I tend to lean to Choice 3, but I am all over the place with too many great model choices at the Good Olde Suzuki Lolly Shoppe.

So MM, IF you can read between my lines, I think you will find the 750 fine at first, but lose it's shine if you want a Sportsbike's ready and instant power. The 1000 has it in spades, but certainly can handle traffic.
For Commuting, if that is large percentage of the usage, the 750 would be the better choice as it is a really easy bike to ride slow in traffic and filtering, but does has a Dr Jeckle and Mr Hide nature when you look for it up in the top half.

Rob.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 04-02-2019 at 05:03 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Wow, thank you for all the replies and warm welcomes. To Rob(slower and slower), good catch on the profile. I did not see that on my mobile but have updated it. I am in the upstate region of NY in US (Buffalo Niagara Region). I fully agree with your take on justifying the standing idle costs, especially with the seasons in Buffalo and quantifying it to the wife. If I had close to year-round riding conditions it would not be an issue, but we get 6 solid months of riding with a sporadic riding two other months of the year (if we are lucky).

I am looking at 2018 leftovers currently and my dealer as the 18 750 z and 1000z for the GSXS models. I love the blacked out stealth look. I am currently set to pick up the 750 this weekend but I am going to see if my dealer is willing to come down just a tad on the 1000 to sweeten the deal for me. I had the sv650s and 1000s and the 650 was a great bike but was not the 1000 in terms of adrenaline and feel. Very hard to find a good comparison of the 750 vs the 1000 and they are in their own classes.

I look forward to updating this post with the one that comes home this weekend. I have toyed with the 750 for a year or so and see what deals are on leftover 1000's at year end or 2020. That being said, I will probably lose more value in that year than just springing for the 1000 now. From what I have read on this forum, and other reviews, the 1000 is a bit more comfortable.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Are you set on buying new? If not, there are some great deals on some very nice used bikes out there. I purchased the 2016 F with only 1500 miles and it has been a dandy.

This is probably the only bike that I've kept this long (2 years) and enjoyed every minute. Just ticks all the boxes for me....

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #10 of 24 Old 04-02-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hey Reagenn,

I’m not set on new. I have been watching for deals. Thinking I may grab the 750 and watch for a good deal on the 1000 in the next year or two. Then sell the 750 and get another toy. One way to bypass the conversation of having two at once... it will just happen organically 😉

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page