• 1 Post By frog4aday
  • 1 Post By Reagenn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Hello all. I’m currently on a 2007 VFR 800 but have been eying the GSXs 1000 since it’s release. While I LOVE my VFR, it’s never been great in city traffic. How does the GSXs perform as an all-a-rounder. Does it get hot in traffic? Is it boggy at low rpms, comfortable for a 6’4” rider, good at open road touring? Thanks!
frog4aday likes this.
post #2 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
How does the GSXs perform as an all-a-rounder.
I use mine as an all a rounder and I'd rate it fantastic.

Quote:
Does it get hot in traffic?
Doesn't seem bad to me, although the fan does kick in a lot on my commute in mid-summer heat, but not nearly as hot as my old Honda Magna V4 was.
Quote:
Is it boggy at low rpms
It loves to rev, but it has enough power everywhere that I never feel like it's "bogging". I find myself at 4000-5000 quite a bit and it's fine.

Quote:
comfortable for a 6’4” rider
I'm 5'10" so I'll have to leave that one alone.

Quote:
good at open road touring?
I haven't done a lot of touring, but my F is great at long distance and open roads.

... and Welcome!
oldjackbob likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the responses and warm welcome. I think I’m all but sold, just need to go ride one now.
mike d likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
No bogging at low revs, always torque available, above 7k there is ridiculous acceleration when the HP starts taking over. Trust me, you will NOT want for more power. At highway cruising speeds a touch of the throttle and the bike will leap forward hoping you give it more. In fact, 5th and 6th gear is what I use most around town and I have all the power and torque I need. Most bikes cannot do that without lugging or chugging. This one does so easily. Its also super comfy and handles and stops with the best of them. The VFR is a very good bike, the GSX is a GREAT bike.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeru View Post
Hello all. Iím currently on a 2007 VFR 800 but have been eying the GSXs 1000 since itís release. While I LOVE my VFR, itís never been great in city traffic. How does the GSXs perform as an all-a-rounder. Does it get hot in traffic? Is it boggy at low rpms, comfortable for a 6í4Ē rider, good at open road touring? Thanks!
Hey Jeru,
I just LOVE VFR800s! Great machines. Chronic electrical (regulator rectifier) issues drove me away from them, but other than that, a pretty nice ride. What I think you will love about the GSX-S1000 is the lighter weight and more nimble feeling. The riding position is going to be about a 'wash' so no change there. I'm 6'2" and find the GSX-S riding position to be comfortable for me. YMMV. Definitely NOT a fold-you-up-like-a-pretzel sportbike, which is what drew me to it in the first place. (Plus the power. I love the power, MWAHAHA!)

The rear shock on the GSX-S will be less supple than your VFR. Maybe you are okay with it, maybe not. For $800, a new shock will make everything better. All 2018 and newer bikes have a 'good' ECU, so no fueling issues for you. Get the "F" model and open road touring is also good-to-go. Anytime you switch from one good bike to another good bike, there will be things you miss about the old bike and things you love about the new bike. Just gotta figure out where your priorities lie. The GSX-S1000 is faster, lighter, and more nimble (naked version more-so than the faired version) than your VFR and yet, still comfy. The VFR has better rear shock. The GSX-S has better front suspension (fully adjustable.)

Obviously we are biased on here toward the GSX-S1000. But the VFR800s are great machines. Think of it this way - do you want sport-TOURING (VFR) or SPORT-touring (GSX-S). Or as Tadao Baba (Honda engineer) said when developing the CBR929RR, "Light is Right!" The GSX-S is light(er). So that makes it right(er).
Beaker likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
My brother had to he VFR800
Whilst it was a very competent in most situations I found it boring and bland. I canít fault the bike but it just didnít inspire me to ride.
If you like a bit of power and something that will reward you the harder you push it, the Suzi might be right up your street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull my finger
post #7 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
For a while I had a VFR750 and a CBR929. It got to where I couldn't really ride and enjoy the 750 anymore because I was inadvertently trying to rev it past the rev limiter to get to 'more power'. Funny how quickly you get spoiled by a fast spinning, inline four cylinder engine with more displacement. The GSX-S1000 is going to feel like a rocket ship after coming off that VFR, at least for a while. I love that; speed and power = FUN!
post #8 of 8 Old 05-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
While I've never had a VFR to compare it to, I've had plenty other bikes (vmax, bandit, ST, etc) and can say without a doubt that this bike has been amazing.

After 2 years of ownership, I still can't wait to hit the road with it. It's just THAT fun!

I have the F, and a couple of months ago did 8 hrs in the saddle with little to no problems. (At 53 you're gonna have a few aches and pains no matter what you ride.)
mike d likes this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page