9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Proper Introduction

Im JohnMoore from Italy but I live and work in Belgium, where in 2017 i got me the gsxs1000z.

106 Horsepower from factory limited ECU. top speed 240kph. but i think its just limiting rpm in 6thgear because at 7k rpm it wants to pull my arms off my body.

After two years i started lurking here and found out about the TPS fix, and these few days after receiving the infamous kawasaki part I finally got it setup correctly which definitely Improved the throttle.

I was goin to sell the bike this summer because to be sincere the bike was hard to control and I had a few scares while on full lean cornering.

I will track it this summer in Zolder, Spa Francorchamps and a few laps around the Nordschleife in August to really see if she's a keeper.

Only mods are short brake lever and tail tidy. next one is something called throttle tamer... im just starting the research on this so if someone has a good option that doesnt cost too much im listening.

thanks to all

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #2 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Looks great! I have a throttle tamer on my 2018 1000z. Honestly, I did regret buying this bike a little because of the crazy power which made city/slow speed riding really uncomfortable. You have to be so gentle with the throttle when going through a turn if you don't want it to buck like a bronco that it made riding more of a chore than enjoyable. But after installing the throttle tamer, it made me change my mind. The power is still there if I want it, but the initial throttle pull is slower and more gradual making the bike more controllable. Some people have said the overall throttle turn from closed to wide open is a little more than stock but it feels the same and looks the same to me using the eyeball test (around 1/3 turn). Highly recommended and I don't know why they don't come with one stock since it's just a different cam design. I heard the 2020 Katana, which seems heavily based on the GSXS1000 but with different bodywork, is supposed to include a redesigned throttle tube cam though.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Hey john.moore.1.6td, Welcome to the GSX-S1000 forum! Nice to see your bike and hear the mods you've done and what you are considering next. You are considering a "throttle tamer" as your next modification, so I'm guessing your fueling is still a bit too 'abrupt' for your tastes. The throttle tamer will help. Before you buy it, ensure you've already tried to take all the slack out of your throttle cables except for 1mm to 2mm and try that. Sometimes there is just too much slop in the bike's throttle cables as it comes off the showroom floor. I'm guessing you already did this since you have done the TPS fix, too, but had to mention it. Throttle tamer is good but...

...getting your ECU flashed to make it fuel right would be even better. I don't know who in the Belgium area is any good, so hopefully some others will chime in.

As for the bike not being too confident inspiring at full lean, a lot of that comes down to two things:
1) The stock D204 Dunlop tires are really not that great. Not much grip and not confident inspiring. Replacing them with some Michelin Pilot Road 5s or Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tires will make a tremendous difference. When buying new tires, get a 190/55-ZR17 tire for the back (not the 50 profile tire the bike came with.) If you still have a lot of life left in those D204s, start running 36psi in the rear and 32psi up front. That will get more heat into the tires and make them a bit more supple, which can help until you replace them.

2) Replace the rear shock. Just about ANYTHING else will be a huge improvement. The factory shock is over-sprung and has too much high speed compression dampening, making the ride harsh and out of synch with what the front end is doing.

Hopefully you can get the bike to the point you love it and just want to ride all the time.
mike d likes this.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-16-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome John! I think frog is right about the stock tires and rear shock. I've got Mich R5s and they are a lot better than stock. I just recently upgraded my shock and it made a big difference too.
I lucked out and got one with no throttle issues, and I'm really enjoying it.
I hope you can get yours sorted out.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Im a pretty cheap dude. I guess I could try the 55 tall rear tire but a new rear shock seems expensive for now.
Im VERY sure the instability in corners came from throttle jerkiness. happened at full lean while tryin to hold steady throttle but instead of being steady its like i suddenly closed the throttle fully and too much engine braking went in sliding the rear tire and pushing my body forward.
During the whole corner I probably turn the throttle 1-2 degrees.
I remember with my 1989 zx10 streetfighter was really easy to modulate acceleration in the same corners and that bike was 250kg I think

my body weight is 62kg and I do understand the good argument for a better rear shock.

post #6 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 06:38 PM
BKing111

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Throttle Tamer my friend that's what I did and it helped a bunch. I also had an 89 ZX10 that was a great piece of Machinery back in the day.
frog4aday likes this.

Last edited by BKing111; 05-17-2019 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Throttle tamer is the only modification I've done to my bike, other than installing a 190/55 rear tire and filling the handlebar with BBs and installing heavier bar end weights to reduce felt vibration. Fueling has always been perfect, no throttle snatch, but the factory throttle was just too sensitive - fine throttle control was difficult to the point of making every ride a lot of work. Eliminating all of the throttle cable slack did help but I still needed to reduce the throttle sensitivity at light throttle, so I installed the throttle tamer. Mechanically, the throttle tamer only makes about a 20% difference in rate of cable pull, but man, what a difference that 20% makes in drive-ability. It completely changed the character of the bike, around town and on the highway. Every time I ride now I thank myself for installing that throttle tamer. I love this bike more every time I ride - I truly plan on keeping this bike for many years!
post #8 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Dealer where i bought the bike asks 500euro to De-restrics the bike. but I doubt they will adjust the AFRs like a good flash tuner (I read Dano does it right) so Im definitely goin with the G2 tamer for this summer 2019.

btw anywhere in Europe that flashes stock ecu?

frog4aday likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
Throttle tamer is the only modification I've done to my bike, other than installing a 190/55 rear tire and filling the handlebar with BBs and installing heavier bar end weights to reduce felt vibration. Fueling has always been perfect, no throttle snatch, but the factory throttle was just too sensitive - fine throttle control was difficult to the point of making every ride a lot of work. Eliminating all of the throttle cable slack did help but I still needed to reduce the throttle sensitivity at light throttle, so I installed the throttle tamer. Mechanically, the throttle tamer only makes about a 20% difference in rate of cable pull, but man, what a difference that 20% makes in drive-ability. It completely changed the character of the bike, around town and on the highway. Every time I ride now I thank myself for installing that throttle tamer. I love this bike more every time I ride - I truly plan on keeping this bike for many years!

I did that with the power commander I thank myself every time I ride the bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 13 Old 05-17-2019, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john.moore.1.6td View Post
<SNIPPED STUFF> I'm definitely going with the G2 tamer for this summer 2019. <SNIPPED STUFF
From everything you've said, and based on the real world experience from others, this seems like the perfect 'fix' for your bike. If you remember, pop back here and let us know how it works out for you once you get it installed and get a chance to ride the bike a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page