GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Hi, what have I done!

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  LEAVEITSTOCK 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I've just agreed a deal to swap my 2018 BMW S1000R Sport for a 2018 GSX-S1000F, I've owned the S1R for a month and in many ways it's an awesome bike but the lack of wind protection and only being able to adjust the preload on the suspension are bugging me.
I've had Suzuki's on and off for the past 40+ years from GT250 to a GSXR1000 K8 but my knees don't agree with sports bikes anymore hence why I've gone upright.
Possibly the wrong place to ask on a Suzuki forum but am I mad?:eek:

#3 ·
Hi Graham,
You've joined a great Forum, so please be free to add your experience with your new addition to the Garage, and commiserations to the Beemer journey that didn't work out for you.
Been there too; more times than than we would like it to be.
As this is an International this Forum, so please go back into the Account area and add some detail to help everyone know how to reply intelligently.
It gets confusing a bit with weights and measures quoted that others don't use, and small variations in spec of the GSX-S Family across the World. Adding your Country helps a lot.

Rob.

#6 ·
You went from a snooty beemer to a blue collar bike. Nothing crazy about that. I'd say you will appreciate the difference when its time to pay for having your bike repaired....but being a Suzuki that will likely never happen. I like that the Suzuki was built to be light, but not too light. The engineers knew it would have to live on crappy public roads and survive the powerful engine and its force on the chassis. It's built to last. I never rode the S1000 so I can't compare the two, but I can say the GSX is the best bike i have owned. It doesn't have the latest high tech gadgetry or luxury features but it delivers near superbike performance for a bargain price. Its easy to ride, easy to live with and makes every ride exciting.

I don't think you will miss the BMW.

#8 ·
To be honest the quality of the fit and finish on the BMW are excellent, whereas Suzuki offer you a stick on stripe kit for your wheels the BMW's are painted on and clear coated, things like that and in black it looks great. But, and obviously there's a but or I wouldn't be changing, the electronic suspension is harsh unless the road is smooth and you have no control over it other than pre-load. I can swap out the suspension on the GSXS without needing a mortgage and have a great bike.
But mainly after test rides on a few different bikes I thought I could live with a naked bike but at speed it's too much like hard work. It's not unstable it's solid as a rock but at 100 mph and up you're hanging on for dear life.:(

#7 ·
s1000r - gsxs1000f

well i know one benefit, youll be alot less frequent at the bmw dealers workshop, ive heard some horror stories about the troubles people have with bmw electronics, jap electrics are near fool proof, ive swapped to the more upright setup as well, not saying the gsx-s doesent have some faults, but once you get the suspension setup, and a decent exhaust , its more than a match for nearly anything on the road, ive been working on engine upgrades for the last year or so, found out alot about the engines internals, they are a mixture of k series engine components, with a few specific parts, such as cams/ pistons, but im nearing my goal of a 180+ grunty horsepower with stock pistons

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.