13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-11-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New to S1000 club, from California

Hello from California. Just picked up a lightly used 2016 naked version with ABS (it looks showroom new). Never rode one before buying it (sat on a few in a showroom, though). Here's my motorcycling progression: Ninja 500r, Nighthawk 250, SV650, Ninja 250r. I know, weird order, but that's a long story. Anyway, this S1000 naked is insanely powerful, but if you want to short-shift and putter around and filter through heavy traffic with your feet on the pegs (without touching down) it can do that too. It's the heaviest bike I've ever owned, but it still feels no heavier than, and as nimble as, my old SV650 (it actually reminds me of the SV650 because of its seating position and feel; it's as if the SV650 went from decent high school player to 10-year NFL all-star (S1000)). Also, never ridden an inline-4 before, so the first few minutes it felt like a battleship (width-wise) compared to the slim SV650. But compared to my former bikes, the S1000 feels so much more sophisticated in its ride, handling, and overall feel. The power is terrifying sometimes. It might be too much bike. I can see myself back on another 650 next summer. Then again, the SV650 felt terrifying after coming from a Nighthawk 250. Lastly, the S1000 is such a used bargain. It's amazing that you can buy a 160 horsepower (140 at rear wheel) used naked for the out-the-door price of a brand-new Ninja 400.
lost, frog4aday and Triz-man like this.
post #2 of 24 Old 06-11-2019, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Welcome, Montana. If you feel like the engine might be a bit too much you might want to consider a throttle tamer. I put one on my bike and it made a distinct difference in how controllable the bike is. It's the only mod I've done to my bike but it's a game changer. I thank myself for it every day (I'm 65 years old, too old to be wrestling a beast every time I ride).

IMO you owe it to yourself to try it before deciding it's just too much bike. It is an awesome bike, you just need to be able to control it confidently.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hello, oldjackbob. The bike I bought is well-equipped. It has the G2 tamer on it. It's really smooth, but I have to get used to the power. The torque thrust is there no matter the gear or the rpm, and it's there at small throttle openings. On the old SV, I could quickly twist the throttle halfway to the stop, and the bike would progressively accelerate pretty quickly. This S1000 beast is entirely different. A quick quarter twist and I'm going double the posted speed limit before I can blink three times.

On my inaugural ride, I hit a bumpy patch of road, and I did an inadvertent throttle twist over it and the bike surged forward.
Nothing dangerous, but definitely requires dedicated throttle control. Aren't we fortunate to ride awesome bikes? This might be the golden age of internal combustion two-wheelers.
oldjackbob and Triz-man like this.

post #4 of 24 Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Welcome! I really do think the GSXS is one of the best values out there that not too many know about. Great base for a project bike too. Only issue in my eyes is the insane amount of power can feel like a handful for slow speed stuff. Throttle tamer definitely helps though.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Triz-man likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-12-2019, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Just remember that the only thing your hands should be doing is manipulating the controls, not supporting your weight and you'll be fine. Welcome to the club.
Triz-man likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hello, gsxsdave. It really is a good value new, and it is a tremendous value used. Because it's such an under-the-radar super naked, used prices are starting to soften. I don't mind this kind of depreciation because it reflects a lack of Suzuki marketing push instead of a reflection on the quality of the bike (my old SV was durable, reliable, inexpensive to run, and ran like clockwork; I expect the S1000 to be the same, except for the pricy tires).
post #7 of 24 Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hello, Beerded Wanderer. On my first ride, as I was accelerating, I thought to myself I could really use some tank side grips right now so I can squeeze my knees onto the tank to prevent me from sliding rearward instead of relying on my hands to hold on. That's on my to-do list.

I've been reading about the S1000 for two years but I've never seen one "in the wild." Maybe I'll cross paths with you one day (I'm in Sacramento).
post #8 of 24 Old 06-12-2019, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
I've seen 2 or 3 in rancho. Chatted briefly with a guy on a black and blue at the gas station, though I neglected to ask if he's on the forum. I still find myself hanging on by the bars sometimes but I don't enjoy getting the wobbles when the front gets light.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
i havent seen one in 3 years , then a person in my condo parked his red an black next to my blue and has the same bike cover
Barstewardsquad and Triz-man like this.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVEITSTOCK View Post
i havent seen one in 3 years , then a person in my condo parked his red an black next to my blue and has the same bike cover

Awesome. Now all you need is a gray one to pull up and it will complete the Suzuki super naked party pack.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page