LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
GSX-S Newbie

Hi there everybody,

New to the site, so just a quick intro as per normal forums etiquette.

Bought a 2016 GSX-S 1000A a week ago, getting to know the bike at the moment and really enjoying it.
so far its got a full Yoshi system, with a few other Yoshi bits to make it look a little nicer.

I'm an somewhat good mechi and an avid track rider with a few races in the bag that struggles to keep it under the speed limit and on 1 wheel..

Mainly a GSX-R guy as i have a K6 600, K7 750, K9 1000, L5 750, L5 1000 and now the L6 GSX-S 1000.

Im loving the S as its very different to the R's but then again, its a very different bike, the bike still needs a few refinements but that is on the way.
The main gripe i have is the std. one that everyone has, ...snatchy throttle... I'm planning on flashing it once i have a harness made up for it(or just buy one) as im sure that will finish the bike off nicely.
Also getting the QS working, disabling the STV and blanking off plates and all the other goodies that the ECU has is on the cards

At the moment im looking for the electronic version of the service manual as i really like to keep all my hard copies of the manuals vacuum sealed so that stay in mint condition, i know forums do not publish links and so on, so if someone can send me a PM....that'll be nice

Please feel free to share any tips and tricks on the S that helped you in any way as i'm new to them and do not know any tweaks/common faults etc. on them like i do with the R's.

Cheers
post #2 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, I'm sure you will find lots of info to digest, enjoy.

It helps the forum if folks know roughly where you are located, country/state is enough.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #3 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSkilla View Post
Hi there everybody,

New to the site, so just a quick intro as per normal forums etiquette.

Bought a 2016 GSX-S 1000A a week ago, getting to know the bike at the moment and really enjoying it.
so far its got a full Yoshi system, with a few other Yoshi bits to make it look a little nicer.

I'm an somewhat good mechi and an avid track rider with a few races in the bag that struggles to keep it under the speed limit and on 1 wheel..

Mainly a GSX-R guy as i have a K6 600, K7 750, K9 1000, L5 750, L5 1000 and now the L6 GSX-S 1000.

Im loving the S as its very different to the R's but then again, its a very different bike, the bike still needs a few refinements but that is on the way.
The main gripe i have is the std. one that everyone has, ...snatchy throttle... I'm planning on flashing it once i have a harness made up for it(or just buy one) as im sure that will finish the bike off nicely.
Also getting the QS working, disabling the STV and blanking off plates and all the other goodies that the ECU has is on the cards

At the moment im looking for the electronic version of the service manual as i really like to keep all my hard copies of the manuals vacuum sealed so that stay in mint condition, i know forums do not publish links and so on, so if someone can send me a PM....that'll be nice

Please feel free to share any tips and tricks on the S that helped you in any way as i'm new to them and do not know any tweaks/common faults etc. on them like i do with the R's.

Cheers
Welcome, I sense a pattern there with Suzuki's!
I've fitted 2019 throttle tube and adjusted all the unnecessary slack out of the throttle cable and it's mile better than it was and only cost me 17, not perfect but a good 95%+ happy with it now.
oldjackbob likes this.

More cars and bikes over the years than I should have done!

post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2019, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Turboskilla!
post #5 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I've fitted 2019 throttle tube and adjusted all the unnecessary slack out of the throttle cable and it's mile better than it was and only cost me 17, not perfect but a good 95%+ happy with it now.
What was the difference between the old and new throttle tube?
Was the new throttle tube smaller diameter where the cables attach?

Last edited by My Name Is Jeff; 06-20-2019 at 12:25 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker View Post
Welcome, I'm sure you will find lots of info to digest, enjoy.
It helps the forum if folks know roughly where you are located, country/state is enough.
From the beautiful and sunny South Africa, its about a third into winter now with sunny weather and min/max temps between 2.5 and 18 C

Quote:
Most definitively, I've had most of the general makes of bikes somewhere throughout my life but always tend to keep the Suzi's. Always fun to pick on the "Big boys" when you get pulled into a argument about how little power the GSXR makes compared to all the other bikes, most people forget that a very small amount of re-tuning on most sport bikes will make them a real hand full in the right hands....

Quote:
What was the difference between the old and new throttle tube?
Was the new throttle tube smaller diameter where the cables attach?
also curious about this one, haven't read about this possible change yet..
post #7 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Welcome ; you will need to tweak the bike but underneath the snatchy thrGottle and shitty rear shock you've got a detuned K5 engine and a well built bike; with your experience you'll sort it out pretty quickly and when you do you'll find it goes like a rocket and is comfortable too. I've got a K6 GSXR1000 and a 2016 GSXR1000. It's nice to have both
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryleaves View Post
Welcome ; you will need to tweak the bike but underneath the snatchy thrGottle and shitty rear shock you've got a detuned K5 engine and a well built bike; with your experience you'll sort it out pretty quickly and when you do you'll find it goes like a rocket and is comfortable too. I've got a K6 GSXR1000 and a 2016 GSXR1000. It's nice to have both
Thanks,
The S will be more of a commuter / weekend hooligan bike for me.
I'm not to worried about the flat-out performance as my K9 is built of that reason, but the S def has enough oomph to run with the guys from what it feels,

Looking into steering damper options at the moment as a loose front end in not very confidence inspiring to me, ...yes I know that if a bike is setup properly then no bike needs...yada yada yada, steering dampers saved my ass more than once on the road and track, and the twisties we have here, are more of a B/C road quality.

I don't like the dampers that bolts to the tank, and from research it seems that there's only 2 options left, either Scotts (linear) or MaxRacing (non linear) I think, but making a bracket should not be to much of an issue as then I can just mount one of my spare ohlins ones.

The list is already long with work to do on this bike, , but that's the fun part !
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2019, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm new to this as well.. I had been wondering if I need to do something about the somewhat over lively throttle response on mine so after reading an road test of the new Katana I rang the bike shop and asked them to order me a throttle grip from the new Katana. The part number is 57110-07L00-000 (zeros not o) which they tell me is shared with the 2019 S and is different to the part number listed by Fowlers of Bristol for a 2016 model (GRIP, THROTTLE 57110-21H02) so it looks to have been modified, Graham above agrees the same. That and them setting the TPS to what it should have been has for me addressed the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page