GSXS 1000 Forum banner

New GSXS Owner

7K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Reagenn 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

New to the forums and my bike. Just purchased a 2016 GSX-S1000 in Gray a few days ago. Here to checkout what modifications people have done and learn more about the bike 🙂

Brian

#2 ·
To add on:
I’m riding down in Alberta, Canada!

If you guys have any suggestions to simple cosmetic modifications please feel free to share!

Also looking to find some nice sounding exhaust slip-ons. I’ve seen some videos with slip ons and have noticed there’s rarely any difference. Maybe time to look into full exhaust system?

Thanks

#3 ·
Hey Blaw272,
Welcome to the forum! I also have a 'naked' 2016 model (red/blk) so I think you've done brilliantly with your purchase.
What is the riding season like there in Alberta? 2 months long? (Kidding! Sort of...)
Maybe you should buy a 'kit' to convert your GSX-S to a snowmobile so you can ride it year round?

All joking aside, things you "should" have are a Puig Sport screen (get the dark tinted one...looks trick AND allows you to take your naked bike up to higher speeds...just for giggles.)

Secondly, forget the exhaust...for now. Come back to it later. What you really NEED is a rear shock. That's the weak link on this machine. The one the factory put on there is essentially a cast off reject from old Yugos. Wilbers, K-Tech, and Nitron make good replacements. Frankly ANYTHING you find to put on the bike will be better than what's on it.

Disregard all of this if your roads are glass-smooth and the only corner you take is to turn into your driveway. Otherwise...
Good to have you here!

Attachments

#5 ·
Haha, our reading season is maybe 6 months at most? We definitely could use less snow and cold

I DO have a Puig “windscreen” but really it’s so short that there’s a 1” difference 🙂

Will definitely be replacing the rear shock when I can. Our roads here are pretty bad this summer. Thanks for the suggestions!

#6 ·
I recently installed a Mivv Double Gun slip-on. Definitely louder than stock. It screams when whipping it! I still might put the DB killers back in. Yea... the "no increase in volume over stock with a slip-on" is a myth I consider busted. /forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
Now that looks sweet. Seems like MIVV has quite a few options for the GSXS. I wonder which to choose 😉

#11 ·
So all of those aftermarket exhaust slip-ons do not affect sound level but perhaps affect sound tone?

ie. you won't get louder but you may get better depending on how the new slip-on alters the sound waves coming out

Reactions: oldjackbob
#14 ·
So all of those aftermarket exhaust slip-ons do not affect sound level but perhaps affect sound tone?

ie. you won't get louder but you may get better depending on how the new slip-on alters the sound waves coming out
My Mivv is definitely louder than stock. Standing still and revving isn't as drastic of a difference from stock (still louder, but marginally), but riding and under load / acceleration it's much louder.
I had a straight pipe Harley pull up next to me on my commute today, and it still drowned me out, so don't expect that kind of change from a slip on, but I smoked him so it's all good. >:D

#15 ·
Thanks Mike … I wondered how much 2 small pieces of pipe would cost but not unreasonable at $236 USD. Looking forward to a drive-off video and hope you've got a GoPro or something better than cell phone video. :)

Reactions: mike d
#17 ·
I have a GoPro with a plug in mic that I hope I can capture something with. Yea, two small pieces of pipe, but it is really nicely finished Titanium with a nice clamp and hardware. Seemed like a pretty good deal to me.

#24 ·
It's not a hard install, just takes some patience getting the header bolts tightened down. Not a lot of room to work in.
There is however, other things that need to be done at the same time, like plugging or removal of the Pair valve and SET valve.
Just take your time, have fun, and it's easy peasy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.