LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New GSXS Owner

Hey everyone,

New to the forums and my bike. Just purchased a 2016 GSX-S1000 in Gray a few days ago. Here to checkout what modifications people have done and learn more about the bike 🙂

Brian
post #2 of 24 Old 08-20-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
To add on:
I’m riding down in Alberta, Canada!

If you guys have any suggestions to simple cosmetic modifications please feel free to share!

Also looking to find some nice sounding exhaust slip-ons. I’ve seen some videos with slip ons and have noticed there’s rarely any difference. Maybe time to look into full exhaust system?

Thanks
post #3 of 24 Old 08-20-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Hey Blaw272,
Welcome to the forum! I also have a 'naked' 2016 model (red/blk) so I think you've done brilliantly with your purchase.
What is the riding season like there in Alberta? 2 months long? (Kidding! Sort of...)
Maybe you should buy a 'kit' to convert your GSX-S to a snowmobile so you can ride it year round?

All joking aside, things you "should" have are a Puig Sport screen (get the dark tinted one...looks trick AND allows you to take your naked bike up to higher speeds...just for giggles.)

Secondly, forget the exhaust...for now. Come back to it later. What you really NEED is a rear shock. That's the weak link on this machine. The one the factory put on there is essentially a cast off reject from old Yugos. Wilbers, K-Tech, and Nitron make good replacements. Frankly ANYTHING you find to put on the bike will be better than what's on it.

Disregard all of this if your roads are glass-smooth and the only corner you take is to turn into your driveway. Otherwise...
Good to have you here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Puig windscreen GSXS.jpg (53.4 KB, 11 views)

post #4 of 24 Old 08-20-2019, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Garage
I recently installed a Mivv Double Gun slip-on. Definitely louder than stock. It screams when whipping it! I still might put the DB killers back in. Yea... the "no increase in volume over stock with a slip-on" is a myth I consider busted.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #5 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog4aday View Post
Hey Blaw272,
Welcome to the forum! I also have a 'naked' 2016 model (red/blk) so I think you've done brilliantly with your purchase.
What is the riding season like there in Alberta? 2 months long? (Kidding! Sort of...)
Maybe you should buy a 'kit' to convert your GSX-S to a snowmobile so you can ride it year round?

All joking aside, things you "should" have are a Puig Sport screen (get the dark tinted one...looks trick AND allows you to take your naked bike up to higher speeds...just for giggles.)

Secondly, forget the exhaust...for now. Come back to it later. What you really NEED is a rear shock. That's the weak link on this machine. The one the factory put on there is essentially a cast off reject from old Yugos. Wilbers, K-Tech, and Nitron make good replacements. Frankly ANYTHING you find to put on the bike will be better than what's on it.

Disregard all of this if your roads are glass-smooth and the only corner you take is to turn into your driveway. Otherwise...
Good to have you here!
Haha, our reading season is maybe 6 months at most? We definitely could use less snow and cold

I DO have a Puig “windscreen” but really it’s so short that there’s a 1” difference 🙂

Will definitely be replacing the rear shock when I can. Our roads here are pretty bad this summer. Thanks for the suggestions!
frog4aday likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I recently installed a Mivv Double Gun slip-on. Definitely louder than stock. It screams when whipping it! I still might put the DB killers back in. Yea... the "no increase in volume over stock with a slip-on" is a myth I consider busted. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DiscoverySport_net/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Now that looks sweet. Seems like MIVV has quite a few options for the GSXS. I wonder which to choose 😉
post #7 of 24 Old 08-21-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
dB killers

Quote:
I recently installed a Mivv Double Gun slip-on. Definitely louder than stock. It screams when whipping it! I still might put the DB killers back in. Yea... the "no increase in volume over stock with a slip-on" is a myth I consider busted.
Hey Mike,
I had a similar experience with a Scorpion carbon fiber slip-on on a DL-650. Pulled the dB killer and it seemed fine, but the more I rode it, the more I realized it was just too loud (for me!) Maybe it was just the pipe 'breaking in' and it seemed quieter at first, then got louder in a short period of time? Regardless, the dB killer went back in and I was happy with that. It did give me a touch more on the bottom end, too, so that wasn't a 'loss'. Ran fine up to red-line, too, so all good even with it installed. Besides, loud pipes attract the cops. A sportbike already gets them excited. Add in a lot of noise, and they almost seem compelled to pull you over, ha!
mike d likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-22-2019, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
I agree, the bike is great but get rid of the standard rear shock before it shatters your spine, and put a boosterplug on to get rid of the snatchy throttle
post #9 of 24 Old 08-22-2019, 06:51 AM
r_p

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
If you're not replacing headers/cat then the best thing is to just remove the stock slip-on. I did not notice any significant difference in the sound on my bike which is expected as the stock slip-on is just is a straight pipe with any perforations, e.g., see

I did threw in a black colored $5 exhaust tip
post #10 of 24 Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Sheesh, yeah, just take it off and shed some weight. I assumed there was some kind of resonance chamber in there, but it looks to be a cosmetic exercise. Would removing the "muffler" affect back-pressure at all? There's got to be something functional about it?

"...And miles to go before I sleep."

Shock swap video/howto: https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suspe...r-install.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page