• 2 Post By dekker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Introduction Post.

I brought my new-to-me 2018 Matte Black (ABS) model home from the BMW dealer today. Turned off the traction control before I left the lot.

I pledge to disable the ABS. Never had it or needed it in all of my riding days.
I got pretty good at locking up both brakes simultaneously on my ZRX1200--an effective way to slow a bike if you don't slide far on clean, dry pavement, contrary to much popular belief. And I never did. Yes, I am a relic. Old fart. But maybe that is misleading. I almost NEVER need to panic brake. It is a sign of bad judgement, imho.

Used bike, 7500 miles, $9K out the door. Has a tail tidy, which I am not fond of.
And a little vestigial windscreen, which I will also remove. But the previous owner at least put on frame sliders, something I don't object to, but hope to never use. (I have a fairly good record with that.) I live about 50 miles from where I bought it. I was surprised by the vibration. I will have to check whether the previous owner numerically raised the gearing. Overall, my GW250 is a LOT smoother. Seriously. Ha, ha.

Oh, this is an intro about me as well. Okay. I have been riding since age 13. Have owned about 38 bikes. Mostly used, cheap bikes. Only bought two new bikes. A naked 2003 SV650. And a BKing. BKing was a pussycat. This bike snarls a bit. More abrupt. BKing had a broader torque output. Could spool up the rear tire without too much excitement. If you have tons of money, I would
recommend buying one, but in addition to your GSX-S 1000.

I told my girlfriend that this is probably my last bike purchase. Men die a lot younger than women. I am 59. What else? I live in Northern California, the newest third-world country. I think we have had about 13 days in the last 30 without electricity. And more than that without interweb access.

I had hoped to NOT buy a Ventura rack/pack with this purchase, but it looks to be so difficult to otherwise attach a pack containing much tire-repair stuff and riding layers on the tail. But I need to space my purchases, else I will feel poor.

Anything else? I think a 180 vs the stock 190 would please me. And I plan to buy Shinko Ravens to replace the stock stickier tires. On the street, sticky tires are for people with more money than I. Sport-touring tires are quite adequate. I guess it depends on one's perspective, though. If you think racing on the street is a good idea, then race tires are probably okay. Me, I can tolerate some slippage. I'm just a street rider.

Okay. This forum seems to be less active than others I have experienced, but I am thankful for the forum's existence. Administrators have a mostly thankless job. But they make modern bike ownership a lot more pleasant. I am happy to be here. And I will behave. I swear. I am not a trouble-maker. Just an old fart.
post #2 of 5 Old 11-06-2019, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
most are old farts here who crap there pants with a small fart dont think the s is for sport do you
post #3 of 5 Old 11-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome Naked. Nice intro. I'm an old fart too, and owned lots of bikes. (It seems to be the demographic that buys the GSX-S). I love my GSX-S1000F, and it puts a smile on my face on every ride.
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome naked, good choice.
In my book y'all don't yet qualify for the honour of wearing the old fart badge, that doesn't happen until you reach 65, that is state pension age in the UK and I passed that 13yrs ago.
LEAVEITSTOCK and oldjackbob like this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #5 of 5 Old 11-07-2019, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome aboard, @Naked ! I'm glad you were able to work out the posting issues.

"...And miles to go before I sleep."

Shock swap video/howto: https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suspe...r-install.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page