User Tag List

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 Old 11-23-2019, 01:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Hi YGCGSXR,
I as I said above had the K9 GSX-R750. A very sweet bike, that toured very well, but I was a lot younger then, but that doesn't reflect to the ability of the bike. I did 1100 km in one long day ride (I was sore for days !).
One thing I can repeat here that the torque curves or HP curves (not quite sure now) show the 600 & 750 are almost identical below 7000 rpm. I think it is the torque, with the 750 making the HP up top of the range.
That annoyed me after purchase, as then the price was in Au $2000 more for the 750.
The 2 bikes are identical other than that, and I never went above 7000 in the use I did with it.
I test rode a 600 and was pleased with it, BUT opted for the 750 thinking I would get more lower down torque.
Unfortunately, Suzuki Aust. haven't for years printed the HP and Nm figures.

Rob
post #22 of 32 Old 11-23-2019, 06:08 AM
r_p

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
The F model is an absolute pleasure on the highway, very planted, and very steady on her feet in crosswinds. Get a throttle tamer and you'll be golden on the S1000.
I share the sentiment. My F feels very planted. In fact, sometimes I feel that it is rather too front heavy (as much as my cruiser) for city riding compared to, e.g., an FZ/MT-09. But then you feel very confident at 90+ mph on the interstate.

My only issue is wind protection. I have the PUIG screen which causes some buffeting around the helmet (I am 6'1). Had been too lazy to trim it down.
post #23 of 32 Old 11-23-2019, 06:28 AM
r_p

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCGSXR View Post
That being said, and i can only compare to my GSXR750 and GSXR1000. compared to those two, the GSXS1000 is super nimble, but is very unstable at highway speeds (70+ MPH). Mainly due to three factors. 1. NO FAIRINGS - 2. NO STEERING DAMPER - 3. handlebars instead of clipons. My GSXR's lived solid as a rock at 80-90 Mph with one hand on the bars while i stretched out off the side of the bike and ate up any bumps or wind coming at me. the GSXS1000 will translate any imperfection through the handlebars and into your body and give you an uneasy feeling as you correct every imperfection. That and i find myself going 15-20 mph slower than i used to comfortably cruise on the highway with my GSXR's just due to the fact that it feels like i have to work harder to keep it at the speeds i was used to.[/B]
It is not the clip-ons but the height of the handle bars along with the relatively upright riding position which affects the weight distribution/CG. Sport tourers don't have clip-ons or even dampers but are rock solid at 100 mph. You could extend the swingarms by a few inches and it should be good.

post #24 of 32 Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
i believe the gsxs bikes wheel base is longer then a gsxr
post #25 of 32 Old 11-24-2019, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Garage
The naked is stable on highway at 60+mph. I regularly cruise at 85. Cross winds affect bikes, this one's no different.
Someone commented on gear and wind, this is very true. Good gear, that fits you well will mitigate the effect of the wind on your body and make you a happier rider.
Those telling you to buy the 750 are crazy. Less power, cheaper suspension and brakes and the same weight.
And finally, I've got no idea what a stabilizer has to do with cruising down the highway.
post #26 of 32 Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Many thoughts come to mind reading your post.
First, the Gaza is a bigger heavier bike with better suspension and will be dramatically better in the wind.
Second and most importantly, it really depends on how you handle the unexpected as to wether or not the Gsxs is a good idea for you. Do you have enough experience and technique to handle hitting a bump and have the bike buck strongly because the throttle was lurched? Etc..
You can definitelydevelop the technique to ride a 145bhp bike safely, but, absolutely ride one first.
The gsxs is my favorite bike out of the 7 I’ve had. If it would have been my second bike I would have gotten rid of it quickly and maybe never bought another one.
Also, I’m 5’ 6” and small framed and it took me awhile to get used moving it around and getting on and off on uneven and loose ground. I’ve dropped it a couple of times. I found the gsxs 750 heavier and more top heavy than the 1000.
Spend some time with one first. It may be a better 3rd bike for you.
post #27 of 32 Old 11-26-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Hi Verbatim,

Why did I buy the other one afterwards ? = Because I just felt like it, that's why.

<snip>

Rob.
Indeed. We can all be happy if we have a mind to.
post #28 of 32 Old 11-26-2019, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemil View Post
Many thoughts come to mind reading your post.
First, the Gaza is a bigger heavier bike with better suspension and will be dramatically better in the wind.
Second and most importantly, it really depends on how you handle the unexpected as to wether or not the Gsxs is a good idea for you. Do you have enough experience and technique to handle hitting a bump and have the bike buck strongly because the throttle was lurched? Etc..
You can definitelydevelop the technique to ride a 145bhp bike safely, but, absolutely ride one first.
The gsxs is my favorite bike out of the 7 Iíve had. If it would have been my second bike I would have gotten rid of it quickly and maybe never bought another one.
Also, Iím 5í 6Ē and small framed and it took me awhile to get used moving it around and getting on and off on uneven and loose ground. Iíve dropped it a couple of times. I found the gsxs 750 heavier and more top heavy than the 1000.
Spend some time with one first. It may be a better 3rd bike for you.
Hey! Your tall like me 5í6Ēlol.. This is another reason why I like this bike itís good for us shorter people.
scrub975 likes this.
post #29 of 32 Old 11-27-2019, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is Jeff View Post
Hey! Your tall like me 5í6Ēlol.. This is another reason why I like this bike itís good for us shorter people.
I'm tall too, like you guys, 5`6 1/2" I used to be 5`7" most of my life but gravity and age has taken it's toll.
However it's the in-seam that counts for seat height, mine is only 27", also when people talk about windscreens it's the torso measurement that counts, overall height is irrelevant.
In general leg length varies more than torso.
oldjackbob likes this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)
post #30 of 32 Old 12-07-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slower and Slower View Post
Hi YGCGSXR,
I as I said above had the K9 GSX-R750. A very sweet bike, that toured very well, but I was a lot younger then, but that doesn't reflect to the ability of the bike. I did 1100 km in one long day ride (I was sore for days !).
One thing I can repeat here that the torque curves or HP curves (not quite sure now) show the 600 & 750 are almost identical below 7000 rpm. I think it is the torque, with the 750 making the HP up top of the range.
That annoyed me after purchase, as then the price was in Au $2000 more for the 750.
The 2 bikes are identical other than that, and I never went above 7000 in the use I did with it.
I test rode a 600 and was pleased with it, BUT opted for the 750 thinking I would get more lower down torque.
Unfortunately, Suzuki Aust. haven't for years printed the HP and Nm figures.

Rob
Thats sweet Rob! I was never a fan of the K8 or k9 series particularly. I rode a couple 600s and 750s from those years and I agree that there wasnt much difference down low. It wasnt until i got my '12 that i noticed that i had a good deal of torque lower down on the 750 than the previous generation.

If i was still into ripping hard and going mach chicken everywhere i would go back to the 750. I live just out of a major city, so on friday or saturday nights when everyone wants to go have fun its a 10 mile straight highway to get into the city. Its become a chore on the GSXS1000 whereas My GSXR1000 was like a lounge chair for a few mins into town. but the GSXS is 100% more fun in the city. I bought the fully matte black version to be a bit more low key when it comes to what I could get away with without attracting the wrong kind of attention. I love the bike, and will do a few 2k mile trips on it through the mountains. But any idea i had about it being "easier" on me when travelling went out the window the first time i decided to go a couple hundred miles out of town.

once i have a few grand aside for an older SV1000 the GSXS will be a permanent city dweller.

Bloc Rednequois

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page