GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Planning to buy GSXS1000 2020

7K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Kneedown69 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am happy to be here with you, the right place I should be.
First of all, I am a beginner biker, I am riding ninja 400 2018, it's the first bike. But I feel something uncomfortable with it (vibration, sound and power). Especially vibration. They said it's normal for all twins engine. So I am planning to get next step up to gsxs1000. It's a different line I know, but I loved all YouTube vid about it. Sounds power.. etc.
But, the only question I need the answer is:
What about wind effect, especially +60mh??
I live in a windy coast city. It's very normal to be windy between ( 7mh to 25mh) mostly.
Is it a right idea to get a naked bike?

The last question is:
I heard a biker (tuber), said: gsxs1000 is not for highway, u may lose a bike control. is ti right?

sorry for talking long, and sorry for my language, I am not a native speaker.

Thank you very much.

#5 · (Edited)
To the OP, could I suggest that you haven't ridden the 1000 ?
I must point out that the 1000 is not just a lot bigger 400, the bike that you've got accustomed to now. It's a really different sort of bike to experience and dangerous to those who don't respect it's high and sudden power .

A better bike for you than the 1000 as your second bike ever, please choose the current more milder and predictable powered GSX-S750.

As an Owner of both, the 750 has a really creamy smooth and vibration free engine and chassis. None here can say that of a stock 1000.
You will find the 750 will be all you want (and need) in a bike for now, and several years to come.
I am talking of the current model, not the one in Europe that was called GSR750.
The 750 only come's as a Naked though.

Rob.

#13 · (Edited)
<snip>
As an Owner of both, the 750 has a really creamy smooth and vibration free engine and chassis. None here can say that of a stock 1000.
<snip>
Rob.
Crap. I KNEW I should have gotten the 750, but I didn't like the lack of adjustability on the 750's suspension. And I didn't realize I would need a new shock on the 1000.

Which bike did you buy first? And what made you buy the other one afterward?

#6 ·
In terms of wind, depends on your height and gear. If you are shorter, you'll likely lean into the wind better. Also, I notice a lot more drag when wearing the poofy 4 season tourmaster jacket than my leather jacket, which you'll start to notice starting at around 70mph. There are some effective windscreen options available.

Regarding buying the 1000 after a 400, it's your money but I would highly recommend getting a test ride first at the very least. No facts to back this up but I'd guess that buyer's remorse starts to really kick in once you start to venture into literbike territory, experienced rider or not. I don't think it's for everyone.

Some things to keep in mind, 600s (I'm guessing 750s as well) are pretty tame below 6000rpm before you get into the powerband. This 1000 is in the powerband everywhere in the rev range, and gets even nuttier after 7000rpm. That's a huge leap from a 400 and requires much more throttle finesse to keep you from bucking like a wild bronco.

Also, carrying an extra 100lbs of weight is no joke either. Not too terrible if you're a taller guy, but can make slow speed handling more challenging.

400 power and weight is really a confidence inspiring type of fun. 1000 power is more of a scare you silly type of fun.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
All bikes will be affected in heavy wind, especially crosswinds.
The GSX is heavier than a ninja 400, larger tyres (more contact with the road) and sturdier suspension.
Still seems like a strange selection criteria when purchasing a new bike.
Nevertheless, i'd bank on a GSX-S handling winds and speed far better than a ninja 400.
If you are riding highways frequently i would consider the F model, it will definitely fair better ;)

#22 ·
I share the sentiment. My F feels very planted. In fact, sometimes I feel that it is rather too front heavy (as much as my cruiser) for city riding compared to, e.g., an FZ/MT-09. But then you feel very confident at 90+ mph on the interstate.

My only issue is wind protection. I have the PUIG screen which causes some buffeting around the helmet (I am 6'1). Had been too lazy to trim it down.

#16 ·
remember when i started riding no licence
,..would take my friends honda 750 gold flake with extended forks for short rides....if that didnt kill me i knew nothing would...im a believer its the weight of the bike and not the power thats gives beginners the most problem.....going from a 400 to a 1000 first thing i would of done was make sure i was straight, nobody around and bring that baby up to redline..id probably chop that throttle way before red line and say .. this is what its all about...that first time feeling is enough to sink into your head to be careful ..and that feeling is what makes you want to ride every day......thinking about it now i dont redline enough

#17 ·
Mate if you get the 1000 just take it easy I’m sure you will be ok and don’t be tempted to
Give it the berries in a built up area.
My son went from a GS500 to a 05 R1 and I was really worried about him but he is still here to tell
the tail so be careful.
It’s funny when I think back to when I was a young fella, To get your riders permit you just filled
out a form then answer 3 questions then go buy the biggest bike you could afford with no
Idea of how to ride LOL..
Anyhow all the best with your decision:)

#20 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I am happy to be here with you, the right place I should be.
First of all, I am a beginner biker, I am riding ninja 400 2018, it's the first bike. But I feel something uncomfortable with it (vibration, sound and power). Especially vibration. They said it's normal for all twins engine. So I am planning to get next step up to gsxs1000. It's a different line I know, but I loved all YouTube vid about it. Sounds power.. etc. any inline 4 will run smoother than a twin in any configuration
But, the only question I need the answer is:
What about wind effect, especially +60mh?? if going from a faired bike to a naked, wind blast will have a very different affect on you.
I live in a windy coast city. It's very normal to be windy between ( 7mh to 25mh) mostly.
Is it a right idea to get a naked bike? that depends on what type of riding you will be doing. these bikes are designed to be street fighters. minimal storage, minimal protection from the elements, minimal comforts. grip it and bomb around the city hard and the occasional day trip. if you are looking to take long trips, i would recommend an older bandit or an sv650 (1000 if you think you can keep the front wheel below 12 o'clock.)

The last question is:
I heard a biker (tuber), said: gsxs1000 is not for highway, u may lose a bike control. is ti right? yes and no. If you dont know how to react and handle wind blast correctly, anyone can lose control on any bike. That being said, and i can only compare to my GSXR750 and GSXR1000. compared to those two, the GSXS1000 is super nimble, but is very unstable at highway speeds (70+ MPH). Mainly due to three factors. 1. NO FAIRINGS - 2. NO STEERING DAMPER - 3. handlebars instead of clipons. My GSXR's lived solid as a rock at 80-90 Mph with one hand on the bars while i stretched out off the side of the bike and ate up any bumps or wind coming at me. the GSXS1000 will translate any imperfection through the handlebars and into your body and give you an uneasy feeling as you correct every imperfection. That and i find myself going 15-20 mph slower than i used to comfortably cruise on the highway with my GSXR's just due to the fact that it feels like i have to work harder to keep it at the speeds i was used to. That being said, i am very happy i sold my 2012 GSXR1000 and bought the GSXS. however, i wouldnt reccomend buying this if you are coming off of a 2 banger 400cc. There is much more torque and with how easy it is to "have fun" with this bike, it can become dangerous in the hands of an unskilled rider, especially over the 8-9000 rpm mark. I would suggest buying an L series GSXR750. I regret selling that bike every day. it has the torque over the 600 and still has enough power to keep you humble. anyone who says a 750 is too small for them is lying to themselves.

#23 ·
That being said, and i can only compare to my GSXR750 and GSXR1000. compared to those two, the GSXS1000 is super nimble, but is very unstable at highway speeds (70+ MPH). Mainly due to three factors. 1. NO FAIRINGS - 2. NO STEERING DAMPER - 3. handlebars instead of clipons. My GSXR's lived solid as a rock at 80-90 Mph with one hand on the bars while i stretched out off the side of the bike and ate up any bumps or wind coming at me. the GSXS1000 will translate any imperfection through the handlebars and into your body and give you an uneasy feeling as you correct every imperfection. That and i find myself going 15-20 mph slower than i used to comfortably cruise on the highway with my GSXR's just due to the fact that it feels like i have to work harder to keep it at the speeds i was used to.[/B]
It is not the clip-ons but the height of the handle bars along with the relatively upright riding position which affects the weight distribution/CG. Sport tourers don't have clip-ons or even dampers but are rock solid at 100 mph. You could extend the swingarms by a few inches and it should be good.

#21 ·
Hi YGCGSXR,
I as I said above had the K9 GSX-R750. A very sweet bike, that toured very well, but I was a lot younger then, but that doesn't reflect to the ability of the bike. I did 1100 km in one long day ride (I was sore for days !).
One thing I can repeat here that the torque curves or HP curves (not quite sure now) show the 600 & 750 are almost identical below 7000 rpm. I think it is the torque, with the 750 making the HP up top of the range.
That annoyed me after purchase, as then the price was in Au $2000 more for the 750.
The 2 bikes are identical other than that, and I never went above 7000 in the use I did with it.
I test rode a 600 and was pleased with it, BUT opted for the 750 thinking I would get more lower down torque.
Unfortunately, Suzuki Aust. haven't for years printed the HP and Nm figures.

Rob

#30 ·
Thats sweet Rob! I was never a fan of the K8 or k9 series particularly. I rode a couple 600s and 750s from those years and I agree that there wasnt much difference down low. It wasnt until i got my '12 that i noticed that i had a good deal of torque lower down on the 750 than the previous generation.

If i was still into ripping hard and going mach chicken everywhere i would go back to the 750. I live just out of a major city, so on friday or saturday nights when everyone wants to go have fun its a 10 mile straight highway to get into the city. Its become a chore on the GSXS1000 whereas My GSXR1000 was like a lounge chair for a few mins into town. but the GSXS is 100% more fun in the city. I bought the fully matte black version to be a bit more low key when it comes to what I could get away with without attracting the wrong kind of attention. I love the bike, and will do a few 2k mile trips on it through the mountains. But any idea i had about it being "easier" on me when travelling went out the window the first time i decided to go a couple hundred miles out of town.

once i have a few grand aside for an older SV1000 the GSXS will be a permanent city dweller.

#25 ·
The naked is stable on highway at 60+mph. I regularly cruise at 85. Cross winds affect bikes, this one's no different.
Someone commented on gear and wind, this is very true. Good gear, that fits you well will mitigate the effect of the wind on your body and make you a happier rider.
Those telling you to buy the 750 are crazy. Less power, cheaper suspension and brakes and the same weight.
And finally, I've got no idea what a stabilizer has to do with cruising down the highway.

#26 ·
Many thoughts come to mind reading your post.
First, the Gaza is a bigger heavier bike with better suspension and will be dramatically better in the wind.
Second and most importantly, it really depends on how you handle the unexpected as to wether or not the Gsxs is a good idea for you. Do you have enough experience and technique to handle hitting a bump and have the bike buck strongly because the throttle was lurched? Etc..
You can definitelydevelop the technique to ride a 145bhp bike safely, but, absolutely ride one first.
The gsxs is my favorite bike out of the 7 I’ve had. If it would have been my second bike I would have gotten rid of it quickly and maybe never bought another one.
Also, I’m 5’ 6” and small framed and it took me awhile to get used moving it around and getting on and off on uneven and loose ground. I’ve dropped it a couple of times. I found the gsxs 750 heavier and more top heavy than the 1000.
Spend some time with one first. It may be a better 3rd bike for you.

#31 ·
If you do make the jump to 1000 from the 400, the best thing you can do is leave your Traction Control at the 3rd/highest setting. Out side of dumping the clutch should keep your front end down, but be ready. I went from a 60 HP Seca II 600 to a 97 TL 1000-S at 112 hp, and the first time I gave it 1/4 throttle in 1st gear it about jerked the bars out of my hands. My dad who had been on cruisers for years he ended up bouncing the front up because the power threw him back so violently....

Now this bike with smooth hand can be as docile as a kitten and with the Traction control can help keep the front down as I found it was cutting in not long after the front would start to lift.

Stability wise this thing is fine. In wind just be ready and don't over react when the wind hits you. At speed this thing is stable (even at 130+). I start to lose confidence in corners above 90 only cause I just don't get to do it enough to learn the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.