User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-25-2019, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
This should be an intro post in which I say how I got an awesome deal on a new '19 GSX-S1000 in beautiful white, but it's not. The deal was there... $11,099 out the door (including 8.5% tax, title, dealer fees, everything) - but I just couldn't pull the trigger. The wife is a bit hesitant to give her approval on the deal.

For a little background, as my username implies, I was raised on Harleys, learned to ride on a '91 softail at about 13 (my dad's). I didn't get my own first bike until about 25 though - a 2000 wide glide, which I eventually traded in for an '07 Softail, which I still own.

I'm 40 now and have three children, that are 1 1/2, 4, & 6 years old, so I can understand her concerns, but it really killed me to walk away from this deal. I'm still considering going back tomorrow and finalizing it. We'll see.

I had a couple of my own "concerns" though. I had read the transmission was geared with really close ratios, but this seemed very prevalent on my test ride today. Maybe it's my experience with only H-Ds but for the first several shifts I wasn't even sure I had actually up shifted, as the engine speed barely drops. Also, it seemed like it was really wailing at 85-90 mph on the freeway, like I kept thinking I should have an additional gear change available to bring the "cruising" engine speed down a tad. Yes, I know, I shouldn't be "cruising" at this speed, but I live in southern California, where people typically move pretty fast on the freeways. Even my 6-speed softail is pretty comfortable at this speed, though little harder to stay into the wind due to the ape hangers. Maybe this is partially due to me wanting to keep the GSX under 7k RPM since it's still in the break-in period.

Do you all think final drive ratio changes would address these gearing concerns at all, even if only slightly?

What do you all think of this out the door price which is basically right at MSRP, with the current Suzuki rebate essentially covering tax and title for me?

Hopefully soon I can do a proper intro post, with pics of the new beast parked in the garage, next to the old Softail dinosaur.

Last edited by Raised_On_H-Ds; 11-25-2019 at 11:39 PM.
post #2 of 25 Old 11-25-2019, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
It's an engine that loves revs. It'll cruise at 6 or 7k all day so don't be disauded. It's a **** of allot of bike for very little money. Also has heaps of low end so a cheap gearing change wouldn't hurt it.

After riding Harleys you might get a huge shock. It goes, turns and stops. Crazy stuff 😛

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Hahaha. You might be surprised how well an HD can move when you want to, and it's setup right. Race tech fork kit and upgraded rear shocks help a lot. To be fair though, it does feel a bit "sluggish" in comparison to this machine.

post #4 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
You don't sound like a good fit for this bike. Will likely wonder why you bought it.
What DOES attract you to it?

And how would you get any time to ride with all those kids?

A good way to handle these types of problems is to make yourself wait for two months,
which will be the dead of winter and an even better time to buy--and see if you still want
it that badly.

I have had bikes that were more fun. You are not missing out.

I hope this helps.
Raised_On_H-Ds likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
I'm wanting something much sportier and more modern, but still fairly upright and comfortable. And no, I don't clock that many miles per year, but the ones I do are very meaningful to me. It's one of my only escapes from the madness that is home life. What draws me to this type of bike is that they're an absolute BLAST to ride and this one costs less than half what I dropped on my last bike 12 years ago. Need there be more? I don't know.

I very much appreciate the input though, Verbatim. You may very well be right, though winter in So Cal isn't really much of a deterrence.

Do you think the Suzuki rebates will go away after the new year or just get re-extended?
post #6 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised_On_H-Ds View Post
I'm wanting something much sportier..
Just do it. The bike can do high 80s in first gear. Having the close ratio and top end is just part of the greatness of the engine. There is a leaning curve, especially from an HD.
I guarantee, that if you want something sportier, quicker, more nimble, more fun, and more versatile, it will check all of the boxes.

post #7 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thanks! I think you're right about the learning curve. I think part of it is me just being used to 5-6k RPM approaching redline. A bit of personal reprogramming needed there.
mike d likes this.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 02:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raised_On_H-Ds View Post
I'm wanting something much sportier and more modern, but still fairly upright and comfortable. And no, I don't clock that many miles per year, but the ones I do are very meaningful to me. It's one of my only escapes from the madness that is home life. What draws me to this type of bike is that they're an absolute BLAST to ride and this one costs less than half what I dropped on my last bike 12 years ago. Need there be more? I don't know.

I very much appreciate the input though, Verbatim. You may very well be right, though winter in So Cal isn't really much of a deterrence.

Do you think the Suzuki rebates will go away after the new year or just get re-extended?
Not sure about your rebate situation but deals come and go, it's a great price either way.
You guys and gals get a great deal in the USA. In Australia I paid 15,500 ride away for a brand new 2018 in January this year.
I've also spent close to 6k in mods, it's a bike worth having. Don't listen to the naysayers.
They are too cheap to afford the bike they really want or haven't spent the time to get the gsx-s sorted.
Good luck either way

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #9 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Garage
Dude, walk away from that deal and look on cycle trader. Find yourself a leftover bike and save thousands off of that price. These bikes don't sell well so you can find leftovers heavily discounted. I see some 2018's right now for $7k. I got mine a while back as a leftover for $9k OTD and that wasn't even the best deal many have gotten. No way I'd pay $11,100 for these bikes with the deals out there.
oldjackbob likes this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #10 of 25 Old 11-26-2019, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainus83 View Post
Not sure about your rebate situation but deals come and go, it's a great price either way.

You guys and gals get a great deal in the USA. In Australia I paid 15,500 ride away for a brand new 2018 in January this year.

I've also spent close to 6k in mods, it's a bike worth having. Don't listen to the naysayers.

They are too cheap to afford the bike they really want or haven't spent the time to get the gsx-s sorted.

Good luck either way

Donít fear - that $11k USD deal is $16,350 in Australia so us Aussies get the better deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page