29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 03:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Just bought a GSX-S1000

After considering all my options there one one obvious choice, and I've finally bought a used GSX-S1000. 2016 in black and red with a Yoshi pipe. Only other mods are the basics - tail tidy, crash protection. Picking it up next weekend. Having been off bikes for about a year I'm more than eager to get back on and can't wait to ride this thing home. Sorry don't have a better photo, they removed the listing before I could grab one.
Attached Images
File Type: png Annotation 2019-11-29 200549.png (564.4 KB, 30 views)
Beaker and LEAVEITSTOCK like this.
post #2 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Welcome to Our Forum WM,
Big step that, getting a new bike. Always a funny feeling "Have I done the right thing ?", but the first ride home soon blows that away, with your beaut GSX-S1000 a willing new friend.
If you have new tyres, just be a little bit careful on the throttle, and perhaps make sure the traction control is switched to setting 3, the most sensitive till you get to know the bike.

Rob.
frog4aday likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome, enjoy the bike, it puts a smile on my face every time I throw a leg over it.

Slow is fast

post #4 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Garage
+1 What Packmule said. I'm long overdue for a ride now because it's been way too cold / wet / snowy lately. I hate winter.
gsxsdave, Gixxus_Lou and verbatim like this.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thankfully it's summer here in New Zealand.... plus you can ride right through winter here where I live.
mike d likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
+1 What Packmule said. I'm long overdue for a ride now because it's been way too cold / wet / snowy lately. I hate winter.
I had planned a ride today, 60 degrees is almost perfect for me, but directv quit after having it installed less than 24hrs. I now sit here from 12 until 4pm waiting on a tech. I can look at the bike and not ride and look at a tv that I canít watch, what could be any better. lol
mike d likes this.

Slow is fast
post #7 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
I had planned a ride today, 60 degrees is almost perfect for me, but directv quit after having it installed less than 24hrs. I now sit here from 12 until 4pm waiting on a tech. I can look at the bike and not ride and look at a tv that I canít watch, what could be any better. lol
Nothing worse than wasting the good part of a nice day waiting for a service tech. 60 degrees? I'm jealous of that.
Packmule likes this.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatMillington View Post
After considering all my options there one one obvious choice, and I've finally bought a used GSX-S1000. 2016 in black and red with a Yoshi pipe. Only other mods are the basics - tail tidy, crash protection. Picking it up next weekend. Having been off bikes for about a year I'm more than eager to get back on and can't wait to ride this thing home. Sorry don't have a better photo, they removed the listing before I could grab one.
Beautiful bike, enjoy!!

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #9 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Mr. @WheatMillington ,
Look at you! Got the best of the lot (2016 'naked' in the red/black). Welcome to the family. Your ride home should be a blast. Perhaps adjust out any throttle slack before you drive off from the dealer. Seems Suzuki puts way too much slack in those cables and it can make the bike seem more 'abrupt' than it really is when coming on throttle from closed.

I liked the suggestion from Rob to make sure TC was in max 'nanny' mode as you get to know the bike. This thing has got some serious get up and go, which makes it a riot to ride. It's comfy, too. Great bike for the money.

Over time you may consider replacing the rear shock with something (anything!) better. The stock unit is fine on smooth roads and a nightmare when the bumps show up; sadly, there is no adjustment to make it better (it has too much high-speed compression yet the shock has no compression adjustment screw.)

Keep us posted once you get the bike and get some miles on it. It would be nice to hear your thoughts.

Last edited by frog4aday; 11-30-2019 at 12:00 PM.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-29-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Cheers everyone. Like most other people I've read a lot about the shortfalls of this bike (as I do with any bike I buy). I'm just going to ride it as-is for a while and decide for myself what fixes I need regarding the rear shock and the twitchy throttle.

My biggest regret with motorbikes is selling my old Speed Triple (picture below) - among other reasons I was tired of the harsh shock, which like the GSXS had virtually no high speed damping. In retrospect I should have kept that bike, which I picked up for a bargain, instead of triggering a series of expensive bike changes. All the Speedy ever needed was less than $1,000 in a shock to be a near-perfect bike.

I'm hoping the GSXS lasts me a long time, which means I'm prepared to spend some money getting it just right. As far as I'm concerned, once you've chosen a style of bike, the engine becomes the most important factor. Anything else can be changed, to an extent, but you've gotta live with an engine. There are few bikes I'd chose ahead of the GSXS in terms of engine alone (only a Tuono 1100, and maybe a Superdule, but never ridden one).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 - 7yHpwDE.jpg (353.2 KB, 22 views)
mike d likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page