GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Just bought a GSX-S1000

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Cainus83 
#1 ·
After considering all my options there one one obvious choice, and I've finally bought a used GSX-S1000. 2016 in black and red with a Yoshi pipe. Only other mods are the basics - tail tidy, crash protection. Picking it up next weekend. Having been off bikes for about a year I'm more than eager to get back on and can't wait to ride this thing home. Sorry don't have a better photo, they removed the listing before I could grab one.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to Our Forum WM,
Big step that, getting a new bike. Always a funny feeling "Have I done the right thing ?", but the first ride home soon blows that away, with your beaut GSX-S1000 a willing new friend.
If you have new tyres, just be a little bit careful on the throttle, and perhaps make sure the traction control is switched to setting 3, the most sensitive till you get to know the bike.

Rob.

#6 ·
I had planned a ride today, 60 degrees is almost perfect for me, but directv quit after having it installed less than 24hrs. I now sit here from 12 until 4pm waiting on a tech. I can look at the bike and not ride and look at a tv that I can’t watch, what could be any better. lol

#9 · (Edited)
Mr. @WheatMillington,
Look at you! Got the best of the lot (2016 'naked' in the red/black). Welcome to the family. Your ride home should be a blast. Perhaps adjust out any throttle slack before you drive off from the dealer. Seems Suzuki puts way too much slack in those cables and it can make the bike seem more 'abrupt' than it really is when coming on throttle from closed.

I liked the suggestion from Rob to make sure TC was in max 'nanny' mode as you get to know the bike. This thing has got some serious get up and go, which makes it a riot to ride. It's comfy, too. Great bike for the money.

Over time you may consider replacing the rear shock with something (anything!) better. The stock unit is fine on smooth roads and a nightmare when the bumps show up; sadly, there is no adjustment to make it better (it has too much high-speed compression yet the shock has no compression adjustment screw.)

Keep us posted once you get the bike and get some miles on it. It would be nice to hear your thoughts.

#10 ·
Cheers everyone. Like most other people I've read a lot about the shortfalls of this bike (as I do with any bike I buy). I'm just going to ride it as-is for a while and decide for myself what fixes I need regarding the rear shock and the twitchy throttle.

My biggest regret with motorbikes is selling my old Speed Triple (picture below) - among other reasons I was tired of the harsh shock, which like the GSXS had virtually no high speed damping. In retrospect I should have kept that bike, which I picked up for a bargain, instead of triggering a series of expensive bike changes. All the Speedy ever needed was less than $1,000 in a shock to be a near-perfect bike.

I'm hoping the GSXS lasts me a long time, which means I'm prepared to spend some money getting it just right. As far as I'm concerned, once you've chosen a style of bike, the engine becomes the most important factor. Anything else can be changed, to an extent, but you've gotta live with an engine. There are few bikes I'd chose ahead of the GSXS in terms of engine alone (only a Tuono 1100, and maybe a Superdule, but never ridden one).

Attachments

#11 ·
Dont worry mate I think you will be more than happy Japanese reliability. I've owned 2 speed triple both 08 models and as you know the throttle on the speedy is really smooth but that's were it ends for me as I had a lot of problems with the first bike then clutch problems with second bike so screw triumph.

#12 ·
That is a sharp looking Speed3. I hope the GSX will serve you as well. With a new shock, and depending on how bad the throttle is, some fixes there, it is a brilliant ride (I know mine is). Good luck on your search for making it what you want.

#14 ·
I have always been more of a loner in life and in biking but maybe I need to search out a group near me with similar bikes so I can have an idea about what everyone is talking about when it comes to the rear shock.
I have always just jumped on and gone with most of my bikes so don’t know what I am missing when it comes to suspension that works better.
Of course it doesn’t ride like my 2012 RMZ 450 but I am trying to remember what my 2007 GSX-R 750 felt like in comparison. I sold the 750 June 2011 thinking I would be back on a bike the next year.
Took 8 years!
I just don’t remember the 750 riding a whole bunch differently but I also didn’t take the time to mess with the stock settings.
I guess I need an education from people who know what they are doing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
@14RS3, I think it is always best to RIDE a bike for a while before messing with it. Seat time will help you pick out the things you love about the bike and places it falls short. For example, most people throw a pipe on a bike right away, but this GSX-S1000 has a pretty throaty exhaust already. Save those dollars and look at what else might need work. For me, that was the rear shock. It was taking the fun out of the bike for me.

It was fine on smooth roads, but the minute I got into the tight stuff and was trying to do my best track impression, the bumps were tossing the back end of the bike around, making it feel 'loose' and unplanted and the front suspension wasn't matching what the back was doing, making it hard to gauge front end feel. Sharp bumps are the problem. They'll pound your kidneys into submission. But you won't notice this just cruising around or riding mellow. It's when you wick it up and 'go for it' that you find the short coming with that rear shock. But again, ride it and see. Some find it is fine for them and how they ride the bike, so why would they swap it out?

I didn't know what "good" suspension felt like until I rode a CBR929RR (Fireblade). And once you feel 'good' you can really tell what 'bad' feels like! I ended up putting a shock and new springs and fresh fork oil into that Fireblade, not because the stock suspension was bad, but once I got a taste for good, I wondered what "great" would be like. It's awesome, lol! It spoiled me.

The GSX-S1000 is an amazing bike. For ME, replacing the rear shock and getting the seat fixed (more firm foam) were the top two "Must Do's". Maybe you'll love the bike 'as is' and save some money?

#17 ·
I was like you when I first started riding street bikes, I didn’t mess with the suspension at all. As I started to get faster and ride with more experience riders, track junkies, I figured it was time to learn. I had a fellow rider, suspension guy and hayabusa rider like myself help dial in my bike for my weight. I can’t explain how much quicker it made me by have it properly set. Confidence goes through the roof, so much more planted. After my first ride on my GSX I knew that the rear shock need help, so much better now.

#19 · (Edited)
Picked up the bike today and rode it about 200km home (mostly boring motorway roads). I was really nervous about the snatchy throttle issue, with it being so widely discussed. But my bike is every bit as smooth as my old Speedy. I don't know if the previous owner already did something to it (nothing the dealer knew about), but it's near perfect as-is. Having said that, the throttle is really sensitive, with the first few millimeters giving a lot of throttle opening. This is quite tiring, but I don't think this is what people talk about with a snatchy throttle. My bike has no issues with on-off transitions, and I can easily ride in 2nd around town without a problem, 2nd or 3rd on the motorway at 100km no problem.

The rear shock is exactly like my Speed - absolutely infinite high speed compression damping making it uncomfortable bucking around on rough roads. It's livable, but I think I will upgrade, because I intend to own this bike for a long time.

Attachments

#21 ·
Picked up the bike today and rode it about 200km home (mostly boring motorway roads). I was really nervous about the snatchy throttle issue, with it being so widely discussed. But my bike is every bit as smooth as my old Speedy. I don't know if the previous owner already did something to it (nothing the dealer knew about), but it's near perfect as-is. Having said that, the throttle is really sensitive, with the first few millimeters giving a lot of throttle opening. This is quite tiring, but I don't think this is what people talk about with a snatchy throttle. My bike has no issues with on-off transitions, and I can easily ride in 2nd around town without a problem, 2nd or 3rd on the motorway at 100km no problem.

The rear shock is exactly like my Speed - absolutely infinite high speed compression damping making it uncomfortable bucking around on rough roads. It's livable, but I think I will upgrade, because I intend to own this bike for a long time.
Rear shock was the weakest thing to me. K-Tech Razor made a world of difference. I'm glad to here your throttle is smooth. I hate being the only guy on the forum that didn't have the snatchy throttle problem, and mine's a 2016 that I bought with 0 miles, so go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.