24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-09-2020, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Can't make up my mind

What's up GSXS. I've been looking to buy a new street bike and just can't make up my mind.

I currently only have a track only 14 zx6r. I sold my ninja 300 thinking I wouldn't miss riding on the street but I was wrong.

Anyway, I found a great deal on a brand new left over 18 gsxs 1000 for 10k OTD taxes and fees included.

I intend to use it primarily for weekend rides and occasionally at the track, in case my zx6r gets crashed. Those of you who have tracked it, how well does it do at the track? I'm not expecting a full blown racebike of course but I would assume it would have decent enough suspension to ride at an intermediate to advanced pace on some decent rubber.
post #2 of 23 Old 01-09-2020, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Thats about what I paid for mine. I say go for it.

Can't speak for track but the unadjustable compression damping on the shock is pretty brutal on rough roads. You'll likely want to get an ECU flash as well to sort out the jerky throttle.

Ergos are subjective but I didn't love the bike until I added a lower handlebar. As it turns out, I'm not that old of a fart yet!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
jd41 likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-10-2020, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
The bike sells for a fair price, however it isn't realised as a fast road bike or track bike until you put a real shock absorber on the back, Nitron, Wilbers, Penske, and you'll probably have enough adjustment on the front forks; I also recommend a boosterplug from Denmark or you can go the expensive way (power commander, reflash, dyno) to sort out the snatchy throttle (it can surge when your hand moves a millimetre when you hit a bump or at low revs can just lose all power; this is because the European emission standards are applied to the bike and it is starved for fuel by the ecm until about 4.5 thousand revs). So the throttle issue would see you fall on fast track work. Finally, the exup valve, the cable operated opening/closing valve in the exhaust is essentially there to pass EU noise and emission tests, so buy a Healtech exup valve eliminator and the exhaust valve will default on its spring load to open. A decent set of tyres and you're good to go; the OEM tyres wear out in 2-3 thousand kilometres, they are very soft, I suppose to stop people falling off. Michelin make some great tyres; So there's some money to be spent and a time but once done, the bike will be a brilliant track bike, and road bike.That K5-6 motor has the power where you need it for road and track.It is a great pity that Suzuki didn't reiterate the K5-K6 bike in total, with flat bars, but the bureaucrats have taken over since 2006 and insist on all this weighty crushing limitation on new motorcycles.
jd41 likes this.

post #4 of 23 Old 01-10-2020, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I am sorry but the bike in stock form is unridable on track as well as the street...

but once you do the mandatory mods like ecu flash, full system exhaust, rear shock from ktech wilbers or nitron, a quick shifter, pirelli diablo rosso 3 or supercorsa tyres... then what you will be having in your hands is a swiss army knife that does all... its a bloody weapon to be feared
jd41 likes this.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-10-2020, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
CtrlU is absolutely right; it is still a cheap bike after the mods, compared to the ducati and bmw
post #6 of 23 Old 01-10-2020, 04:42 AM
lud

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd41 View Post
What's up GSXS. I've been looking to buy a new street bike and just can't make up my mind.

I currently only have a track only 14 zx6r. I sold my ninja 300 thinking I wouldn't miss riding on the street but I was wrong.

Anyway, I found a great deal on a brand new left over 18 gsxs 1000 for 10k OTD taxes and fees included.

I intend to use it primarily for weekend rides and occasionally at the track, in case my zx6r gets crashed. Those of you who have tracked it, how well does it do at the track? I'm not expecting a full blown racebike of course but I would assume it would have decent enough suspension to ride at an intermediate to advanced pace on some decent rubber.
I find it excellant on track , although now Ive modded it quite alot but in std form it will run at front of inters just sort the preload front and rear , with mods will run in fast group.
de cat , reflash, rear shock replaced , ktech int fork and oil with linear action (not progressive as std) braided lines , rearsets I run s21 or s22 bridgestones . There are a few guys on here who track and fast rd ride
jd41 likes this.

Last edited by lud; 01-10-2020 at 04:44 AM.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-10-2020, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
great street bike...ride for hours on end mostly highway .....all stock, i love it for what it is and dont cry about what it isnt....for this old fart its perfect
post #8 of 23 Old 01-10-2020, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlU View Post
I am sorry but the bike in stock form is unridable on track as well as the street...

but once you do the mandatory mods like ecu flash, full system exhaust, rear shock from ktech wilbers or nitron, a quick shifter, pirelli diablo rosso 3 or supercorsa tyres... then what you will be having in your hands is a swiss army knife that does all... its a bloody weapon to be feared
This is hogwash. Most of them are great bikes for the money. Yes you can make them better but very few of the later models have the snatchy throttle. Plenty on here have taken them to the track, I will this year after selling my other bikes. To say it isn’t rideable on the street or track without the modifications you listed is completely false.
Beaker, LEAVEITSTOCK, lud and 2 others like this.

Slow is fast
post #9 of 23 Old 01-10-2020, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packmule View Post
To say it isn’t rideable on the street or track without the modifications you listed is completely false.
Agreed. However, if you are able to push it hard enough, then this statement is true, but it all depends on your level of riding and what you expect from it. Can it be better or made to be better? Of course, but many of us older slower riders are ripping along just fine on the stock suspension, thought we might dream of aftermarket goodies to put on the bike.

I'd say the price you've found is fair, but you might look around and see what deals you can get if you look a little further away. I picked up my two year old brand new bike in January (same as yours) for about $1K less OTD, and there were others who found better deals. Of course, those better deals were on the far uglier F model that dealers couldn't seem to almost give away.
oldjackbob likes this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #10 of 23 Old 01-10-2020, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have a track only GSXR600 so my GSXS sees mainly road use but I did take it to the track. Even bone stock with pogo stick shock, snatch throttle and all... it was a blast and I found it more fun/relaxing to ride than my race bike. yes, the track will make the GSXS' shortfalls more obvious, but to say it is un-trackable in stock form is hogwash as someone already said.
Since then, I did put a K-tech shock and it transformed the bike on the street. I recommend this route but you can track it in bone stock form too if you choose to do so.
mike d, Packmule, lud and 1 others like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page