10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Looking for a new bike

Greetings! I had a V-Strom 1000 and loved it! Currently have a KTM 1190 adventure. This year I started craving something a bit faster and more flickable in the mountain twisties. Been exploring reliable reasonably priced options, which has led me here. I’m not brand loyal as I think there are lots of great brands out there. As mentioned above, really loved my V-Strom but also really liked my Versys 1000 and love my KTM. I’ve been progressively upping my HP and seem to change bikes every 3ish years. I may keep the KTM if I add a used bike to the stable, if new then likely sell it. I’ve been researching kawy ninja 1000sx, ninja H2 sx and the KTM 1290 super duke gt. It seems the Duke gas tank has cutouts that make it uncomfortable on the knees for taller riders, so that’s out! I do a ride or two a week in the mountains in British Columbia for 3 or 4 hours, one 5-10 day trip annually and maybe a weekend trip. I sat on both afore mentioned Kawies. N1 sx was more comfortable but I’m concerned it won’t be enough power,140hp. The H2 is a complete hooligan at about 2000hp but will cost me around 25,000$ for 2019...ouch! I found the gsxs1000f online and I’m really hoping it will satisfy my need for gentlemenly hooliganism, comfort and short to long touring. I want to be able to wheelie in the first two or three gears with just throttle and ride aggressively with confidence in twisties. From what I can find the gsxs1000f has about 150-160 hp. Feedback much appreciated....
post #2 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
well if 140 isnt enough power for you ..its not the bike for you...will be faster then other bikes you owned..... real world they dyno in the mid 130,s i know people dont like hearing that and will say im wacked... buy one and see for yourself....thats in stock form
post #3 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
150 rwhp is easily attainable with an exhaust and tune, plenty on here have done it.
It's lighter and more flickable then the other bikes you listed so it's also going to be a faster bike in general.
It's very comfortable, incredible fuel consumption and best of all, it's really cheap.
It's also bullet proof like most Suzuki's.
Very underrated bike.
There are plenty of helpful threads on here covering anything anyone would ever want to do to a bike regarding modifications.
If mine were stolen, I'd buy another in a heart beat.
LEAVEITSTOCK and frog4aday like this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.

post #4 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 06:12 PM
lud

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
my 15 put 145 at rear wheel on dyno before decat and flash , and 155 after this was on a well respected and trusted operaters dyno btw . The power is very linear and produces great torque Ive ridden the 1290 superduke and ridden with a pal on his superduke , we are both track riders , fast group . The gixus is a match against that machine , put a bit money into the suspension and its an incredible bike for the money. I dropped 1 tooth on front sprocket if you wanna wheelie you ll need to turn off traction as even in the pos 1 tc stops play
frog4aday likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-18-2020, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
These bikes are a frog waiting to turn into the Prince; initial price is cheap but OEM shock on the back is a rebranded pogo stick, so at least 1K to get that sorted, then there's gitting rid of the catalytic converter turkey baster, there's another 1K, and finally a boosterplug or pcv/dyno to get rid of the snatchy throttle; so 3K after the initial purchase you have a Prince free of the molestation by EU emission controls, and after run in, really really fast with great handling.
gsxsdave and frog4aday like this.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-19-2020, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
You would be hard pressed to find a better handling bike with as smooth of a gearbox. If you spend another $189 on the ECU reflash the motor and throttle response will be as seamless as the gearbox. The on other thing I did to my 2016F was add 1T on the countershaft and spent about $130 on a Hyperpro progressive wound spring on the rear. My last bike was a Yamaha FZ-09 and the Suzuki beats it hands down. Bottom line I'm so satisfied with it I haven't even thought of buying a different bike in the Sport/Sport touring class. Everytime I take it out it amazes me how good it is.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-19-2020, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just traded a 2016 Superduke GT for a 2018 gsxs1000f. Had a 2014 zx1000sx before the Superduke. And a bandit 1200 before the ZX.
It has been snowing in Rochester since I got the GSXS, So I only put 100 miles on it. Mine has the Snatchie throttle. I have a throttle tamer on order and I have no bars showing when I jump the diagnostic port to check the TPS (so I have a breakout lead on order to check and adjust the TPS postion). I m going to adjust my chain first (ride it). then check the throttle free play (ride it). then adjust the TPS and see how much it will effect the on off throttle. *the snachy throttle was the main reason I didn’t buy the GSXS back in 2016 (unexceptable for a bike to ride like that I thought they fixed in 2018 but apparently not enough).
Ok I loved the Superduke the torque is like an electric car (have one) very immediate and fluid at ANY gear also it was LOADED electronic suspension, cruise control, heated grips, cases, adjustable wind screen, quick shifter. Power wise a lot more (of course $20k MSRP)then the zx1000. The GSXS is NO slouch it flies but needs revs compared to the others. And it feels manic at how it builds power while the duke and ZX were smoother. For me i am very impatient even for power. Don’t like to have to shift down when I want power NOW. If you never thought of how the power is delivered and or haven’t been bouncing of the rev limiter then peak horse number are irrelevant for 90% of the riders out there they just never use even 70% of the bikes capability (like cell phones, computers, performance cars....) SO underused.
So how the power is delivered is important to me want it right now with out shifting (I’m going to put a quick shifter on the GSXS if I keep.
Ok the on off fueling bugs me. I mostly ride with the throttle hand only ( don’t ask) so having a touchy throttle is not acceptable. The super duke was very roomy more up right, the ZX was in between it and the GSXS . Same with leg room. I’m 6.2”. *****If you want to wheelie then the order is Superduke, Tuono, MT10, GSXS. But the ultimate to leave everything behind and long distance rides is an H2 SX ECU flashed.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-23-2020, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting discourse, which I enjoyed. The snatchy throttle was solved in my bike with a boosterplug, bought from Denmark, for $200. The Danish inventor, Jens Lyck, is the guy who runs the company, and he has published all his research on his webpage boosterplug.com. Apparently, since 2012 all new motorcycles sold are mapped lean to comply with EU emission standards, so the bikes are starved for fuel electronically at low revs. I presume the same standards apply in the States.As it turns out, the GSXS1000 is the bike most affected, however there have been fatalities here on other bikes because of it. A year or so ago, an experienced rider, on a new Aprilia, was waiting to turn right onto a highway, with a big semi trailer behind waiting to follow. He made his turn with the truck following, his bike stalled and the truck ran him down. My personal veiw is that the fascist EU bureaucrats should never have been allowed to get away with plonking their paranoid standards on vehicles like motorcycles that are inherently unstable, that is only two wheels. Fair enough if they want to plonk them on cars,but even then the manufacturers like VW cheated.
post #9 of 17 Old 01-23-2020, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Garage
There's so many idiotic things in that post.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-24-2020, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerded Wanderer View Post
There's so many idiotic things in that post.
Care to clarify that inflammatory statement?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page