33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Reliability of modern bikes/brands

As something of an old timer I grew up with the opinion that japanese bikes were generally bullet proof with Honda sitting top of the tree.

Sure, there were occasions when the big four made mistakes, honda with chocolate cams and rattly chains is one I remember well. the other common failure I recall was failing voltage regulators and I am not sure if that is fully resolved to this day. As a Brit I should list how great british bikes are, never owned one of the old ones and would avoid it like the plague and not bought a modern one yet although I was very tempted by the 1050 Triumph Sprint ST.

Even with the occasional faux-pas it was always my preference to avoid anything italian as they were extremely maintenance intensive and prone to regular mechanical and or electrical failures.

BMW were fairly robust, it seems that their bulletproof engineering and quality has taken a slide in the last few years (since they started copying the japanese)

So my biased and perhaps outdated view is that Jap bikes still offer the best value for money, reliability and reasonable servicing / maintenence costs.

Please give me your thoughts and re-educate an old duffer!

My

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it
post #2 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 05:15 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
there the best in the world..your view is not outdated ..you will be accused of gobshite soon...
Simon W likes this.
post #3 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 05:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've had predominantly jap bikes since I started riding in the late 90's, with one foray into a british bike, a 2010 Triumph Street Triple, a few years back. A number of them have been 2nd hand purchases and have had their fair share of minor issues that I think were only fair for their age, so I won't hold that against them (leaking rear shock, dodgy coil pack). In fact of my 2nd hand purchases, the Striple was faultless (in fact, of the lot, it's my favourite bike). Of the new bikes I've had - a 2000 SV650S and the GSXS - the SV was faultless. The GSXS hasn't really had a *developed* fault, although it did go back for the ECU recall, but I consider that a design issue that Suzuki knew full well about. A small mark against it but I'm okay with it, they fixed it .

So I think you're sort of right, although I think most modern bikes, if looked after correctly, are pretty good. You'll always have the odd "Friday bike", sure, but I bet if you averaged it all out, most bikes from the mainstream manufacturers probably show the same level of reliability these days. MV excepted, of course X-D
Simon W likes this.

post #4 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've owned Ducati, Yamaha, Suzuki and my girl has a BMW S1000RR and have found the Japanese bikes to be the lowest maintenance and problem-free.

Ducati - Hypermotard 2008 with the race ECU and full termi exhaust - ran well except for a bent shift rod from the factory which ended up leaving me riding home in 2nd gear. Otherwise, expensive maintenance and difficult to work on as it seemed that every bolt was very soft so tools/torque/etc...had to be very precise.

Yamaha - 2005 R6 race bike (99 races with ZERO issues) / 2004 R6 B bike - many trackdays with ZERO issues

Suzuki - DR400SM - no issues / DR650 - no issues / Hayabusa - no issues

BMW - stalling issue due to a bad clutch lever but otherwise, easy to work on for the most part and has been reliable.
Simon W and oldjackbob like this.

Chris
2018 GSXS1000Z
2016 R1
post #5 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
SM...best bike ever...just wish they would go FI on them.
Deviousgsxs likes this.
post #6 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sigi View Post
SM...best bike ever...just wish they would go FI on them.
now i like dr650 SM but like the carb easy to tune..cheep to adjust fuel if playing with exhaust.....nice to keep it simple...DR650 I VIEW as one of the best bikes ever made.....simple simple is better.....how the never change the dr650
post #7 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
although i have had 10 bikes over the last 35years they have all been jap Suzuki, yam kawwa , and honda, never had any probs to speak about but i have had mates who have bm, triumph , and ducati and seem to have small probs all the time maybe i have just been lucky but i dont think so, i have a good mate at the mo that is selling his ducati monster 696 for a gsxs its in the garage AGAIN for a ****** cluch
Simon W likes this.
post #8 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Hard to beat the Japanese, in all I had at last count over 50 bikes in my life can't really remember any big problems with Jap built stuff. In those I had Ducati and Aprilia, both faired very well too. Maintenance is the key and looking after them is the secret. Just like anything look after it and it will look after you. Unless you get a lemon I suppose, but I never did.
Jap bikes have best value for money we all know that, that's why we have them.
Simon W and Deviousgsxs like this.
post #9 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Come on guys this is where all the owners of Aprillia, BMW, Ducati, KTM, Guzzi and other makes can convince us that our prejudices are ill conceived.

So far it seems that the concept of a bike that starts every time, keeps running for thousands of miles between services with minimal repairs and costs little to keep on the road is a purely Japanese affliction
lumberjack likes this.

I know nothing and welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge with anyone crazy enough to take it
post #10 of 50 Old 12-15-2017, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Garage
I had several riding buddies that had Aprilia Tuonos, 2012 to 2015. They no longer have them because of premature cam wear. There is a big write up about it on AF1 forums. I was planning on getting one until I found that out. That's why I own a GSX S now. lol Bulletproof.
Simon W likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page