LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-26-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
The end is nigh.....

After 3 years of ownership it's time to bid farewell to the GSX-S. I really though I would keep this one for 4 years, but now the loan is paid up I decided to look for something a little more refined.

Don't get me wrong, I love the GSX-S but it can be hard work on our roads, especially on a long ride.

So what did I go for? Well I secured a deal on a new BMW S1000XR Sport SE with Nav which I couldn't really refuse. The XR has all the toys, perfectly smooth throttle response and the active suspension is so compliant on less than perfect road surfaces.

I'll be stripping all the good stuff from the GSX-S before it gets traded, so there'll be a few more posts from me before I shuffle of to the dark side :-)
Gnomie and Simon W like this.

2015 GSX-S1000FA L6 in Glass Sparkle Black / Candy Daring Red
post #2 of 18 Old 06-27-2018, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Lots of gadgets on the bimmer good luck with it and happy riding!
post #3 of 18 Old 06-27-2018, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
looks like a slight upgrade if touring is your focus but the MSRP on that bike is more than double what i paid for my GSX-S so I think it's a bit daft

Last edited by chuck; 06-27-2018 at 11:52 PM.

post #4 of 18 Old 06-28-2018, 01:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
Got a friend in Australia that has one of those, had it just under a year I think, and he freaking loves it.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #5 of 18 Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Good Luck with the new purchase Martin.
Of course we will expect a full review before you join the BM Forum bregade and turn all wierd'.
I'll be especially intrested to hear what you think of the handling and if its sharp enough to still have fun on in the twisties. I think there was a problem with vibes on the early ones but I believe thats been sorted now and Ofcourse, you'll have to let us know what you think of the fueling

Pull my finger
post #6 of 18 Old 06-28-2018, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMW S1000XR is a fun bike and I liked it when i test rode it 100 miles back in 2016. I came from 2014 BMW S1000R so basically these two bikes are almost the same, as far as the engine and electronics are concerned. BMW sorted out the bar vibration in 2017 with additional washer being added on the bar. I found my 2016 GSX-S1000F is as much fun as BMW S1000R/XR in normal riding conditions but the price difference is hard to ignore.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-30-2018, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
So far I’ve only had a 30 mile test ride on a demonstrator, but the differences are clear. The riding position will take a little getting used to, leaning into corners while being a bit more upright is a bit strange. The throttle response was excellent, smooth and predictable under all conditions and the active suspension coped perfectly when I took it down some pretty poor B roads. Sure, it is a bit more ‘tour’ than the GSX-S, but with 165 horses on tap it’s still got plenty of ‘sport’ too! It’s a pretty confidence inspiring bike and seemed easy to flick around even though it was a new bike to me. I’m certain that with a bit of experience it will be more than a match for the GSX-S.

I was planning on test riding the XR and the MT-10 SP, but didn’t get as far as the MT-10 before making a deal on the XR.

The price difference is certainly a factor, but you do get a lot more for your money. For me, the difference to recommended retail price wouldn’t have been worth it, but with a quarter end deal to be had, I paid nowhere near the £15,700 list price of my bike.
gixxerjasen likes this.

post #8 of 18 Old 07-11-2018, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Sorry GSX-S'ers but I have to say that after a few hundred miles, I'm so impressed by the XR. Except for 'flickability' and low speed maneuverability it tops my GSX-S in every way and even though I'm still running it in, it feels faster too, everything seems to happen at warp speed It's considerably larger and heavier so no surprise it takes more effort to throw about and keep balanced at low speeds, but I'm sure it's only a matter of practice and confidence before I'm riding it like I used to ride the GSX-S. BMW's Gear Shift Assist Pro is highly acclaimed and rightly so, hard braking for a corner while banging down through the box without the clutch is almost as addictive as banging up through the box under hard acceleration. Alongside the active suspension, I think the Gear Shift Assist Pro is probably my favourite bit of tech on the bike.

Anyway, I'm sure you don't want me bleating on about the XR on here, so I will end on a positive note for the GSX-S. I can honestly say that it's the only bike I have been truly sad to see go and if it wasn't for the unforgiving nature of the bike on the streets, I can't see why I wouldn't still have it today. On smooth tarmac and open roads I think you'd be hard to find anything that compares to it for the price.
lumberjack, tonyt and Beaker like this.

post #9 of 18 Old 07-11-2018, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Great to know your starting to gel with it Martin
My Big Bro has a K1300 special edition which has all the toys on it and he loves it. From your write up Iíd say itís very similar to his. Excellent in all areas but a bit heavy around the nagery stuff.
Doesnít matter, every bike has its strengths and weaknesses and as long as you are enjoying it, thatís all that counts.
Keep it rubber side down and enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull my finger
post #10 of 18 Old 11-10-2018, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
lease dont say sorry...keep your chin up and a stiff upper lip when you get the maintenance bill.....then pull your pants up and walk out of the service shop like a man....and just wait for your instrument cluster to turn black again,, then you will know what time it is again...thats right its maintenance time.....you will feel like you really dont need any and i agree with you.....but its 400 to clear your instrument cluster anyway...hate looking at instrument clusters that dont work ...new machines are fun enjoy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page