Bluetooth communication - wind noise + ambient sound = ? - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-31-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Bluetooth communication - wind noise + ambient sound = ?

Greetings! I finally got back into riding after a long layoff and I'm new to alot of the new tech that I see around, with bluetooth communication really intriguing me. I thought I could save some money and use my Galaxy Buds (with ambient sound passthrough) but it's incredibly painful when removing my helmet beccause they aren't low profile enough which has me seeking a different wireless solution that blocks out wind noise while allowing some level of ambient sound.

What would you guys recommend? I have one of those earplugs with a solid filter core that supposedly blocks wind noise but allows ambient sound on order. Will this paired to something like a Cardo Packtalk Bold work or would the volume be too low? Would you recommend any (cheaper) alternatives?
post #2 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
No, It will work fine. I have the older Scala Q1 kit. The headphones sit under the liner of your helmet and are very comfortable and I was very pleased with the quality of the microphone. I also have the earbuds with a ceramic insert in them for longer distances. You need to use maximum volume for motorway use and to be honest, if you get a call, slow down to about sixty mph for the best results and minimal wind noise but I'm quite happy batting along at ninety listening to music
oldjackbob likes this.

Pull my finger
post #3 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My hearing is pretty much shot after too many years of not taking care of it. I tried various solutions with different speakers ,ear buds etc and the only one that works for me is using custom fitted earplugs with built in speakers.

They aren't cheap as they cost me about £180 but if you take into consideration the costs of the other bits I have bought and tried over the years, then they are a bargain. I can wear them for hours on end, and I have the volume on my Cardo Scala set to the minimum but still hear everything clearly at all speeds.
oldjackbob likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
My GF and I have been using a pair of Sena SMH-10 fitted in our Shoei helmet for the last 5 years. Beside the fact that we need to place the internal mike away from vents the sound quality is great and the volume is excellent. In no way I can use full volume on those.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

../Bruno

GSX-S1000F 2018 (my ride now)
F800GT 2015 (sold)
CB500X 2013 (sold)
post #5 of 12 Old 04-01-2019, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
I only use sena' I personally use sena smh10r on all my helmets, I wear earplugs sa well.

Guy above ^ is sena smh10 is the fat version, sena smh10r is the low profile, and there's a newer version of the smh10r, has like fm radio etc. same thing though essentially.

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 04-02-2019 at 12:50 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
To the OP, not sure exactly what your asking (I guess my reading comprehension skills are weak tonight), but for BT coms I've had good luck with the SMH-10 here as well. Pairs super easy with phone and has a low profile.

My wife uses the boom mic with her flip up helmet whereas I use the flat mic in my Shoei GT Air and it works great.

The only negative about these are the batteries which have to be spliced in if you replace them. Maybe they've got this fixed though....

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3
post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I’m using the Sena 10S and so does one of my buddies. Works great! I wear regular ear plugs so need to pretty much keep the volume wide open to overcome my loud exhaust. Music sounds great and can talk really good with the intercom. When on a phone call nobody even knows I’m on my bike unless I tell them. And that says alot for noise canceling(overcoming exhaust noise, engine noise, and especially wind noise)! Alot of options but highly recommend the Sena 10S. And it also has a FM tuner. Good luck! Sure you will like whatever you go with.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2019, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I use a Sena 10r with a Shoei x14 and wear ear plugs. The battery life is excellent and the 10r has a low profile, but it is hard to have conversations over 70mph. There are newer better units that link to more buddies, self adjusting volume in response to ambient noise and models that are made specifically for certain helmets, but I only use mine for music.

As a side note, the X14 is the loudest helmet I have owned. Louder then a RPHA 10 pro, 11 pro and Corsair V.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-03-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I figured based on reviews, most people would be using Cardo because of their mesh network, but I guess Sena seems to be more popular. I put in an order for the BT-S2. Seems like a good entry to see if I like bluetooth at only $33.

My filter core earplugs arrived and I can't really seem to get a good seal. I guess I'll stick with the foam type.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-03-2019, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxsdave View Post
I figured based on reviews, most people would be using Cardo because of their mesh network, but I guess Sena seems to be more popular. I put in an order for the BT-S2. Seems like a good entry to see if I like bluetooth at only $33.

My filter core earplugs arrived and I can't really seem to get a good seal. I guess I'll stick with the foam type.
Get a pair custom moulded ear plugs. A local guy here does them in house. Injects the material into your ear canal and shapes the front edge so they sit flush.
Perfect shape of your ear, no obstructions, easy to fit, remove and clean. Best $75 i ever spent on riding gear.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page