29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 09-20-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Suzuki Engineers

Anyone else ever wanted to have a nice sit down heart to heart with the engineers that designed the GSX-S?

The devil is in the details as they say, and the details with the GSX-S are craptastic. I never thought I would miss doing maintenance on my Ducati 996, but it was WAY easier than doing anything on this bike. Why in the world would they put a bolt on the INSIDE of the swing arm to attach the chain guard? The fairing removal is legendary. (yes I have the F)

I love the ride and idea of this bike, and have no plans to get rid of it, but I also have no desire to get another Suzuki down the road if this is common place with them.
post #2 of 32 Old 09-20-2019, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Other than removing the plastics. I find the GSXS/F fairly simple to work on. I also like that the electronics and sensors are "basic" when compared to some of the other bike's I've owned (US model). If a sensor or electronic part breaks, I'm not forced to have a new one "re-programmed" or "paired" to the ECU like on my other bikes. Honestly, I've owned a bunch of full fairing bikes over the years; none of them have been easy to remove the plastics from. My Kawasaki required the removal of 3 fairing panels just to replace the battery...
post #3 of 32 Old 09-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
I would have to agree with Oregon - the bike is not that hard to work on; and most components are fairly easy to replace

I have had the fairing on my f (all panels) off several times; and once I figured out the how to - I can remove everything in 15 minutes +/-. The more you do it, the easier it gets.
bgagnon and oldjackbob like this.

post #4 of 32 Old 09-20-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
The plastics, and the spark plugs are my only maintenance complaints... so far.

2016 GSXS1000FAL6
post #5 of 32 Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
......and very often the manufacturing people, and bean counters, get their inputs in what is the most efficient, less expensive, fastest way of putting anything together, against what the engineers, may want. They have to try to build it with good quality, but to a price, or we would not be able to afford them at all.

.......for instance I would like have exposed screws in all plastic panels, motorcycle or automobiles, instead of invisible fasteners, and engineers would agree, yet the realities of mass producing at a price would dictate; it would be too expensive and too slow.

I work a lot on vehicles and motorcycles I have owned, and there is not a single one I have not said..."I would have built this like this, or like that, what the $%#* were they thinking??"

Last edited by hugojose; 09-21-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugojose View Post
......and very often the manufacturing people, and bean counters, get their inputs in what is the most efficient, less expensive, fastest way of putting anything together, against what the engineers, may want. They have to try to build it with good quality, but to a price, or we would not be able to afford them at all.

.......for instance I would like have exposedscrews in all plastic panels, motorcycle or automobiles, instead of invisible fasteners, and engineers would agree, yet the realities of mass producing at a price would dictate; it would be too expensive and too slow.

I work a lot on vehicles and motorcycles I have owned, and there is not a single one I have not said..."I would have built this like this, or like that, what the $%#* were they thinking??"
Besides cost, plastic fasteners offer several distinct advantages over screws when securing body panels and other non structural components on vehicles. They allow for expansion, tolerence and flex much better than rigid screws and bolts. Also, they reduce the overall weight of the bike. I like rigid fasteners, but each fastener type has its purpose.
post #7 of 32 Old 09-21-2019, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
All things considered, it's pretty ingenious the way the plastics come off without cracking and breaking to smithereens.

Velcro, plastic pushpins, and a few small bolts...whoda thunkit?

2016 GSXS1000F
2017 GSXR1000
post #8 of 32 Old 09-21-2019, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
try opening a plastic bag of peanuts
Beaker and lost like this.
post #9 of 32 Old 09-22-2019, 07:14 AM
r_p

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit750 View Post
Anyone else ever wanted to have a nice sit down heart to heart with the engineers that designed the GSX-S?

The devil is in the details as they say, and the details with the GSX-S are craptastic. I never thought I would miss doing maintenance on my Ducati 996, but it was WAY easier than doing anything on this bike. Why in the world would they put a bolt on the INSIDE of the swing arm to attach the chain guard? The fairing removal is legendary. (yes I have the F)

I love the ride and idea of this bike, and have no plans to get rid of it, but I also have no desire to get another Suzuki down the road if this is common place with them.
I have a love-hate relationship with my F. The plastics are indeed hard to deal with.
post #10 of 32 Old 09-22-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
I had a heck of a time deciding between the naked and the F. I drove the salesman crazy haha. He had already given me the price I wanted on an F, but when I got there I really like the naked too. I really could not make up my mind it was ridiculous. In the end, I decided my original intent was a naked, not a faired bike, but what clinched the deal was knowing the maintenance would be a little easier on the naked.

I do agree on the chain guard bolt. You should not have to remove the tire to remove a chain guard or hugger.

Other than that though, its pretty easy to work on. I already done my plugs and even removed and re-installed my injectors (had them cleaned). Nothing is really that difficult so far. Its also a Suzuki, which brings us back to the original idea of talking with their engineers. I'd like to thank them for making bikes that provide performance and reliability....and some of the best gear boxes in the business....for prices that most folks can afford.

I'd also like to tell them to stop screwing around and put a wider ratio gear set in the GSX-S line more appropriate for a street bike!!!
Simon W and oldjackbob like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page