LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Almost defected this weekend

If you've read the 'bad news' thread, you'll know how frustrated a couple of us are knowing that our F's are ready for delivery, but unable to get our hands on them due to the recall.

Well, my patience had worn thin enough for me to jump ship this weekend, in the direction of a BMW S1000R. Yes, I know it's naked, but having another naked bike for the next few years isn't a big deal to me. (I sold my CB1000R for the GSX-S1000FA). It's also a bit more expensive, but that would be compensated for with the higher resale value in a few years.

So I took one out on Saturday afternoon....

Firstly, the riding position (for me) isn't ideal. I found a lot of pressure on my wrists, very similar to the CB1000R, and my natural arm position was almost straight. This meant that I had to keep remembering to move my body forward to have my arms bent when tipping it into the corners. I also started feeling the pressure on my wrists after only 30 mins riding.

The engine is great, and the sound isn't bad either. It doesn't have that lovely induction sound of the GSX-S1000 but it does pop and crackle nicely on the over-run . To me, it didn't feel any faster than the GSX-S, despite its 10% extra horses. It's pretty smooth throughout the rev range, although I did find 9000 rpm in third was really quite vibey through the seat and bars. On the plus side, the throttle response was pretty **** perfect. Filtering through traffic in town, or opening it up on an overtake, the response was smooth and controlled.

I was expecting great things of the adaptive suspension, but to me it just felt like a well planted sports bike. Maybe it was the settings I used, or maybe my balls aren't big enough to use it to its full potential. Either way, for me at least, I didn't see what it really brought to the party.

We stopped half way to have a chat (my cousin came with me an took out a R1200R) and I found my self analysing the good and bad points of the bike so far. Then I remembered back to my test ride of the GSX-S1000 and the same half way chat. I can't remember what I really thought about the GSX-S1000, all I can remember is having a huge smile on my face and wanting to get back on it.

That last bit is very telling. Yes according to the specs and reviews the beemer 'should' be a better bike, but better for who? Some ex racer journo at a press launch or an average Joe on a weekend blat? On my test ride the GSX-S1000 was fast, confidence inspiring, comfortable and fun.... all the things I want my bike to be.

So come on Suzuki, you've made a great bike, now please pull out all the stops to get them into the hands of your disgruntled owners before we run out of riding weather in the northern hemisphere!

2015 GSX-S1000FA L6 in Glass Sparkle Black / Candy Daring Red
post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2015, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
yup

You and I must have been separated at birth.
I am still tempted to go for the Z1000SX but years ago I didn't go for a GSXR750 and went for a softer VFR and always regretted it
I preferred the R1200R
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
I feel for you guys still waiting. I think this launch has been disastrous considering the bike was announced October 2014 and here we are 9 months later and people are still waiting. Suzuki head office needs to take a good hard look at what it did wrong with this launch.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-20-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Didn't like the zed at all. Tried it straight after the GSX-S1000 and it felt like I had to wrestle it around every corner. Plus I kept hitting my knee on the tank when changing gear and it was sooooooo vibey... felt like someone had left a rampant rabbit under the seat

The R1200 in any guise does nothing for me either... not enough cylinders and the ones it does have are in the wrong place

2015 GSX-S1000FA L6 in Glass Sparkle Black / Candy Daring Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page