LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
2016 sv650

Had a long ride on a brand new SV650 at the weekend in search of a workhorse bike.
First impressions is the pipework for the exhaust is a bit of a mess but that's the Euro3 for you. Exhaust note can only be described as quiet on tickover in fact starting it (uses the same system as GSX-S) was very underwhelming.
The display is the same unit as the GSX-S with the exception of no TC so the temp display was twice as wide to make up for the lack of space. Switchgear was nothing too exciting, high beam replaces the multi function section on GSX-S so if you want to change anything on the clock you have to press the buttons above the clock.
Sitting on the bike it is very narrow, almost 125esque. The clutch was surprisingly light and throttle response was a little bit on/off at low speeds crawling in traffic but at high speeds the fuelling is quite good. The acceleration on this bike is a bit weird, absolutely nothing exciting happens until you hit 6k+ revs then it starts to sound like a proper twin but then you need to quickly select another gear because you hit the limiter and it is violent when that happens, like someone has pushed you in the chest.
I managed to hit an indicated 112 and there wasn't much more to give after that. The bike needs a decent screen or something similar to the GSX-S in the way of wind deflection because over 80mph it felt like the wind was trying to lift my helmet off and it was just really horrible going quick on this bike, I ended up with my chin over the fuel cap to get some comfort.

The suspension is non adjustable from what I could tell but it was quite a nice smooth ride hitting bumps and potholes even at a good lean angle didn't really unsettle it. Nipping around town is what this bike is really good at and there is a sweet spot on the overrun (8-6k) where the sound is absolutely divine, almost Ducati like but once you drop into the lower revs it starts to sound a bit agricultural.

Suzuki do have a lot and I mean a lot of extras coming out for this bike but I daresay it will be a good 6 months after the bike has been released and overly expensive.

TL DR
SV650 is really good at pottering around and maybe a quick blast up to 60MPH but as a commuter incorporating fast A roads or even to tour on in standard form is going to be an unpleasant experience. I wouldn't even recommend as a first bike.

Have some pictures...

And yes the handling was that good...
Jaked likes this.
post #2 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Garage
It looks like it needs a fairing as it looks incomplete and that's one big a$$ muffler ,good review though well done
Back again after another look, yeah the exhaust is a twisted mess and similar to what I was looking at today on a DL650 but it was covered up a bit more I think
Edit No 2
Looking at it more I think you better back track your ride cause I'm sure some side panels or something has fallen off along the way
The seat is interesting and reminds me of the MT-09 seat and it has me wondering how this tail would have looked on the GSXS to make it a bit more pillion friendly and to catch them pebbles off the back wheel
Edit No 3
The front fender needs to have a fender extender mounted on to another fender extender with maybe another one to protect that motor cause it's bloody short

Previous bikes
1982 YZ80J
1977 TS185
1981 XR500
1994 GSX750 Katana (Popup)
1981 GSX1100
1999 GSX750F
2008 GSX1400
Current bikes
2005 V-Strom 650 Blue
2016 GSXS1000F Blue

Last edited by nicka; 05-17-2016 at 08:52 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
I had the ride last Saturday, dealer hasn't said anything about missing panels yet...
The oil filter is right in the firing line of loose stones.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I rode one at a suzuki demo here in canada. I thought it sounded quite nice. The engine makes a quiet but nice sounding rumble at idle. But after riding a gsx-s1000 I just can't settle for a 650, just not powerful enough. It would make a great first bike though. It would even be a good bike for an experienced rider who simply doesn't want the speed of the gsxs1000. It should be good competition for the FZ-07 as they are similar, but the FZ doesn't have ABS.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
This bike is so down on power even for a 650 it's embarrassing. My old Thundercat was considerably faster and nicer to ride than this, I think a bike should be able to at least be good at most things and to gain useful experience for new riders this bike does not. I really can't see who this bike is aimed at.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSlow View Post
I rode one at a suzuki demo here in canada. I thought it sounded quite nice. The engine makes a quiet but nice sounding rumble at idle. But after riding a gsx-s1000 I just can't settle for a 650, just not powerful enough. It would make a great first bike though. It would even be a good bike for an experienced rider who simply doesn't want the speed of the gsxs1000. It should be good competition for the FZ-07 as they are similar, but the FZ doesn't have ABS.
The FZ has a better motor, weighs less, looks WAY better, and costs the same as the non-ABS SV650... I haven't ridden the new SV650, but I think it will not handle as well as the FZ does either... The ABS option is the Suzuki's only saving grace. Not a real competition if you ask me.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
I would never own a sv650, but maybe a sv1000

2016 S1000
post #8 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
My first bike was a 1st Gen SV650. Great little bike...I do have a soft spot for those little V-twins. Suzuki really needs to step it up to compete with the FZ-07. I think the new SV650 is still 40lbs heavier than the FZ...Oooof!!
JeffroGymnast and Bennyblanco like this.

'17 Husky 701 SM
post #9 of 15 Old 05-17-2016, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothman View Post
I would never own a sv650, but maybe a sv1000
Betcha that's next to come back.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS
post #10 of 15 Old 05-18-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromer View Post
Betcha that's next to come back.
I did ask that question, unfortunately he didn't couldn't tell me. A twin pipe SV1000 would be a serious consideration to me.
Stromer likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page