7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehead1 View Post
I still have a drz but I've never been able to convince myself that scooters are a good idea. Something about not being able to hold the bike with your knees and those tiny wheels. But I love small light vehicles. Maybe a mini bike is in my future. I should probably work on making myself a little more mini first though lol.

I once met a bloke who had a busa and a cbr300. He said he rode the 300 more because it was better for short trips and lots of fun. Probably something in that. Thats the eternal curse of bikes though. The perfect number of bikes is N+1 where N is number you currently have.
I've tried N+1 and it really is a pain moving the bikes around, cleaning chains, constantly paying servicing and road taxes.
1 bike a year is enough for me now, plus you can always scrounge a demo ride if you have a few different dealers in city.
1 bike is your friend, 2 is jealousy, 3 is a crowd, 4 is way too much effort and less riding time. Never been past 4 at the same time.

I've been considering the next bike to add to the VStrom 1K; a Suzuki 400cc scooter or a SV650X. (can't break the addiction).
The SV as an owner of many SV's, the look of the drop bars on the SV650X rekindles my love of sportbikes, but in a more usefull (for old me) a streetable bike.
The V Strom adventure bike I replaced the GSXS1K was the 'new experience' for last year. Trail bikes, I am too old for them now. Done the cruiser thing, that just gave me bad back.

A scooter for a new experience ?
Last one I rode was 10 years back and the feeling of riding a unicycle was very strongly unwelcome.
As sparehead said the lack of leg/knee bracing in turns is pronounced. I am not sure which is more worrying to ride -Scooter or a Goldwing?

Rode a Suzuki 400cc scooter once, but as it was a used bike for resale on the lot, so I have no idea of what the suspension set up was in hindsight. It bottomed out hard at the rear which didn't help build trust.
I rode a Burgerman 650 demo around the same time, but far too dear to consider then.

The best scooter I did demo ride around 15 years back was the Yamaha Majesty 500, it was the pick of then crop, so if I was Scooterista keen, the 530 would be my choice to start with as the comparison scooter. Great in the city and on the freeway and very stable, and surely improved in 15 years for sure.

Rob.

Last edited by Slower and Slower; 06-26-2018 at 01:59 AM.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-26-2018, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
I've ridden scooters when on holiday in Rarotonga but never owned one. They're great fun. However, having done 5 organised Iron Butt 1000 miles in under 24 hour rides in NZ on big capacity bikes, I still have a hankering to try for one on either a Honda C90 or a Sachs Madass with a long range tank. Could be fun!
post #13 of 20 Old 06-26-2018, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Garage
I used to go on ride outs with a group that included a guy on a Suzuki 650 Burgman he never got dropped unless we were on very fast roads, and then he blamed his missus for slowing him down.
Not a scooter but this is what I passed my test on aged 16, aha them were the days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg (1)NSU_Quickly _1957.jpg (153.4 KB, 9 views)
LEAVEITSTOCK and G-Dub like this.

Blue Naked 2015 ABS model. PCV, Nitron Ntr-1 shock, MRA screen(modified) Puig crash bungs, HEL lines and EBC-HH pads, job done. (Riding since 1959.)

post #14 of 20 Old 06-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Garage
I had a Suzuki GSF400 Bandit. Those of you not in the US can thumb your nose at the little plentiful wanna be sport bike but over here they are super rare as they were only brought here in small numbers for two years. I sold it to a buddy who has put more money into it than it deserved, but it's sweet now.

That said, I'd just put my FZ1 into the side of a car that pulled out in front of me and wanted to ride to a TWT pie run so I pulled out the little Bandit. A local group of Burgman riders offered to let me ride. With the exception of ONE scooter, all the rest out displaced me in engine size. I hung back with their trail rider as I was newer to the group and I know how to have fun in the back. Hint: Don't blast down the straights, let the squids in front take off and then catch them when they park in the turns. The older lady riding trail told me she liked how I ride. Her friend leading the group was watching us back there and when we got to a particularly twisty bit of road he turned us loose out in front of the group and we had a blast. Those little tires didn't hold her up at all and later she showed me all the bits of the bike she'd dragged down in the Austin hill country. Neither she nor the bike were scared of any turns. Certainly was an eye opener for me. They are way more capable than they seem. If I had room in the garage, I might have one too.
dekker likes this.

My Blog
Current Bikes:2007 Yamaha FJR1300AE | 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 | 1998 KTM 250 EXC | 2001 Suzuki DRZ-400E
post #15 of 20 Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
I take my Zuma off road all the time, lol I see paths or woods and I dart down into them. The little nobby tires work well. It’s fun, not a dirt bike but capable off road terrain some
post #16 of 20 Old 06-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
I have rented scooters in the islands, I had a blast on them
post #17 of 20 Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
I had a scooter as my first road going motor powered two wheeler when I about 14 50cc two stroke. We track/race Honda 110ís at Josh Herrins (moto America and world super bike rider) Compound in GA. That is about as close as I get to a scooter these days. But I donít ride on the road much.
post #18 of 20 Old 03-25-2019, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
This is my Vino 125, it's a hoot! I've had it up to 55 which is a little sketchy with the little wheels. I use it to run errands, pick n up takeout and take my kids for rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180920_182953_1553567658810.jpg (311.4 KB, 9 views)
post #19 of 20 Old 03-26-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sveetwin View Post
This is my Vino 125, it's a hoot! I've had it up to 55 which is a little sketchy with the little wheels. I use it to run errands, pick n up takeout and take my kids for rides.
... So what kind of mods are you running on that? 🤣
post #20 of 20 Old 03-27-2019, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I did have to replace the crank, cylinder and piston. As far as mods, I installed a Uni filter and a top box, but I save the mods for the gsxs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page