LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2018 Ducati SuperSport R Short Ride

Hi Guy's
This demo ride to home and back on the 950 SuperSport S was a commute through afternoon peak hour and off peak mid morning, about 40 KM all up, and I was riding it coming straight from my V Strom 1000.
It feels low to the ground; lower than a GSXS1K or a GSX-R750. I could flat foot it and had quite bent legs doing it and I am 6 foot tall.

It was a typical Ducati, fueling issues past off idle, and blurry useless mirror's and great suspension.
To say this is the same engine that I rode in the MultiStrada 950 a few weeks back is clearly untrue.
I am sure it doesn't have a the same cams as the Multi was a very sweet engine and good as you would expect a modern bike to be. The SS was like a better version of the old 1078 motor, and that's saying a lot, but the DNA is still there in big bag fulls.

At idle it purrs nicely, on release of the heavy clutch lever (which engaged at the end of the travel), the bike by 2000 rpm fell into a trench as deep and wide as the Grand Canyon, before getting going again at 3000 rpm.
Trying to be smooth was a not easy as it also has the Ducati version of instant 'fuel cut' on easing off the throttle grip. If you think your GSX-S1K has a bad case, this is worse in my opinion.
So add the hole between 2 & 3 K + fuel cut, and 2 outcomes bob up

Firstly, very slow moving away from stopped.
Second, over twist the throttle grip, and once out of the hole, get a wheelie and wild acceleration.

I was never confident after being stopped at traffic lights and having to make a right hand turn around the corner (Au is a right hand drive County remember, like UK) with cars up my a*rse (because I was riding with extreme caution) was scary due to the above 2 points. I did a lot of turn's with the clutch feathering in and out, keeping the rev's up.

This bike has 3 modes for ride by wire, Urban (rain) Touring and Sport. I didn't use Urban. The Dealer said to use Sport.
I soon found out why.
With Touring, the off idle big hole and the pick up there after is a lot worse, in that nothing much happens with any pick up in speed. It needed a lot more twist of the grip to achieve the same speed compared with Sport.
That's why Urban was not very appealing as it could be only worse.

It was very stable as a ride, same as GSX-R is, but without the greater lower lean on the bars that the R has, but I found the R is very comfortable for me on previous past bikes. Suzuki builds in comfort.
Filtering physically through traffic is easy for those who need to do it. It feels the same size as the old 748 from past experience.

The windscreen was a real effective on the bike, 2 positions; the upper position lets a nice breeze flow to the chest, and the lower position stops that. Both positions helmet wise are like riding a naked in terms of noise and buffeting. Very quiet for me, about like a Suzuki R750 is.

The quick shifter operates both directions. I rode too too slow to appreciate it. The few times I remembered to use the feature, it went like a sledgehammer with a huge jolt in the gear box.
I think it needed a lot higher rev's than I was using to make it smoother.

To be honest, I was quite glad to return it and pick up my bike from it's servicing. The GSX-S1K F is a different class of bike to the Duc SS, and is not comparable.
I would think that if you were happy with the GSX-R1000, there is nothing to be gained from moving to the Duc SS, as the Ohlins in real life riding is not all that great an advantage for the cost.
Track Day rider's are a different crowd and could get the benefit, of course, but there is in my opinion a lot of hype around them.
It doesn't make an average rider into a Star because of using that brand. Well, it didn't work for me riding this SS, that's asking tooooo much.

Rob.
dekker, sparehead1, Beaker and 3 others like this.
post #2 of 2 Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Garage
Great review Rob! I was actually wanting one of those when they first came out, before I knew the GSX-S even existed. I was looking for a sporty bike with a bit more upright ergos that would be OK for long distance. I was considering that, or a VFR(800 or 1200). Then I happened into a Suzuki dealership and sat on a GSX-1000F and it was irresistible. Shortly after that I found a great deal at another dealership on the Triron Blue F I ride today. I took a test ride and was hooked. Sure glad I didn't go with any of the other options.
oldjackbob likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page