which helmet do you use? - Page 3 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
User Tag List

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 109 Old 02-05-2016, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
I ended up owning 9 helmets. Shoei, Arai, HJC, Scorpion, Bell, and Vemar. There really is not much difference in quality or long term durability. If I had to rate them, like that, the top helmet might be a 96, the lowest, a 92.

Two things I've learned. One is, if the helmet is intended, or marketed as a "race" helmet, its been designed to wear by a rider using low bars. It can be very quiet when your head is aimed that way, but raise up as you would for higher bars, and its noisy. Thats the shoei x 11 and x 12. With this bike, a sport touring or touring cut will be better.

The best helmet I have is easy to mention. I tried one on in a motorcycle shop in a small Idaho town. I never considered their brand before. When I put it on, it was slightly snug, but I knew it would break in over the next few rides and be perfect. It felt like it was made for me. It is the Bell Revolver Evo.

If you find a brand , with YOUR kind of fit, it will be pretty quiet, for YOU. None are really quiet enough to not use ear plugs.

They are all made the same way. They protect your head with material like they make the cheap 7-11 camping coolers with. Then they protect the styrofoam with a hard coating, paint it, and charge you.

From our only testing program, you see dollars spent does not mean added safety. SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

So, heres my guide to owning one and not having to buy 9.

If its super comfortable , in the shop, its too large. Drop down one size to where its slightly too tight. 99% chance to not listen to who is selling it to you. Cycle Gear used to let you return a used helmet, but most dont. Usually stores will keep up sizing you, but comfort will come later. You really want something halfway uncomfortable. If you hit 100mph and the shin strap holds the lid on, you are wearing a size to large. Sometimes two sizes.

Dont feel bad about removing the cheek pads for a test fit. If that top part fits well, you can buy different cheek pads for a custom fit.

Dont get sold on one brand. I like HJC. They are reasonably priced, look good, and everyone has them. However, their large is too large, their medium is too small..for me, so I cant wear their brand.

Arai and Shoei and any other high end helmet are great, but they have to fit you to be any good at all.
post #22 of 109 Old 02-06-2016, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcannon409 View Post
I ended up owning 9 helmets. Shoei, Arai, HJC, Scorpion, Bell, and Vemar. There really is not much difference in quality or long term durability. If I had to rate them, like that, the top helmet might be a 96, the lowest, a 92.

Two things I've learned. One is, if the helmet is intended, or marketed as a "race" helmet, its been designed to wear by a rider using low bars. It can be very quiet when your head is aimed that way, but raise up as you would for higher bars, and its noisy. Thats the shoei x 11 and x 12. With this bike, a sport touring or touring cut will be better.

The best helmet I have is easy to mention. I tried one on in a motorcycle shop in a small Idaho town. I never considered their brand before. When I put it on, it was slightly snug, but I knew it would break in over the next few rides and be perfect. It felt like it was made for me. It is the Bell Revolver Evo.

If you find a brand , with YOUR kind of fit, it will be pretty quiet, for YOU. None are really quiet enough to not use ear plugs.

They are all made the same way. They protect your head with material like they make the cheap 7-11 camping coolers with. Then they protect the styrofoam with a hard coating, paint it, and charge you.

From our only testing program, you see dollars spent does not mean added safety. SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

So, heres my guide to owning one and not having to buy 9.

If its super comfortable , in the shop, its too large. Drop down one size to where its slightly too tight. 99% chance to not listen to who is selling it to you. Cycle Gear used to let you return a used helmet, but most dont. Usually stores will keep up sizing you, but comfort will come later. You really want something halfway uncomfortable. If you hit 100mph and the shin strap holds the lid on, you are wearing a size to large. Sometimes two sizes.

Dont feel bad about removing the cheek pads for a test fit. If that top part fits well, you can buy different cheek pads for a custom fit.

Dont get sold on one brand. I like HJC. They are reasonably priced, look good, and everyone has them. However, their large is too large, their medium is too small..for me, so I cant wear their brand.

Arai and Shoei and any other high end helmet are great, but they have to fit you to be any good at all.
That's about my story too, but I've also owned 2 Sharks, 1 AGV. The Scorpion exo1000 is the quiteest, so I bought another. The like my Bell RS-1 the best though because it's almost as quite and a lot lighter. Far better than the Bell Star.

Haven't tried Schuberth though, just can't convince myself to spend that much on a helmet, but I might someday.
post #23 of 109 Old 02-06-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
No helmet law in MN. :-) I wear a Shoei RF-1200 Dominance though.

post #24 of 109 Old 02-08-2016, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Shark Speed R Foggy 20th Anniversary Matt Black. Love it.
post #25 of 109 Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If budget is not an issue, consider a Schuberth S2, awesome helmet. I own a SR1 and I love it! "Not for people with sensitive hearing, it's a bit noisy".
post #26 of 109 Old 02-09-2016, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Shark speed r carbon here.

Gsx s1000.(current) Cbr 600rr (son has left it in garage). Cbr 1000rr(gone). Vtr 1000 (gone). Gsxf 750 (gone)
post #27 of 109 Old 02-09-2016, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
You know what stopped me on the Schuberth? Its right here:

SHARP Helmets

Now, I suppose we can question the test results, but from what we get, in 3rd party testing, overall their helmets are not as good as Bell, and cost much more.
moto1 likes this.
post #28 of 109 Old 02-09-2016, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Garage
arai axces 2

Last edited by Rowlf; 02-09-2016 at 01:56 PM.
post #29 of 109 Old 02-09-2016, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Shoei rf1100 pretty quiet and aerodynamic.

Gixxus, Florida is a No-Gasoline-Required State either, but I still use Gasoline.

When I lived in Arizona, they didn't require I use oil in my engine. So I didn't. I exercised my right not to use oil.

My bike didn't last very long. I wonder what moron wrote that law. I'm mad at them.

1-1986 Harley Sportster 883
2-1992 Suzuki Bandit 600
3-1993 Kawaski Ninja 600
4-1994 Suzuki GSXR600
5-1995 Buell M2 Cyclone
6-1996 Honda VTR1000
7-1997 Suzuki Hayabusa

8-1997 Suzuki DR650
9-1998 Yamaha VStar 1100
10-2000 Kawaski Z1000
11-2003 Yamaha FZ1
12-2005 Ducati S2R 1000
13-2006 Honda CBR600RR
14-2007 Honda CBR1000RR
15-2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000
16-2013 Harley Davidson Switchback

17-2016 Suzuki GSXS1000

Last edited by Thumper07; 02-09-2016 at 04:09 PM.
post #30 of 109 Old 02-10-2016, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
I love Shoei and wear an RF-1100 as well. I like it a lot. I just wish I had black instead of silver. But the helmet that fits my deformed oblong head best is the Arai Signet-Q. That'll be my next lid, probably when the heat sets in this May.

There is no helmet law here in Texas either. I see the future organ donors riding around all the time.

2016 Red/Black GSX-S1000F.

2015 BMW 1200GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page