Do your wear hearing protection when riding? - Page 2 - Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum
View Poll Results: Do your wear hearing protection when riding?
Yes, all of the time. 16 50.00%
Most of the time, unless it's just a short hop. 7 21.88%
Only on long rides. 3 9.38%
No, never. 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 Old 08-02-2019, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
I think the majority of the noise comes from the wind, so eMC won't help you there, and I'm sure the SR/F is plenty fast.
At the end of the day, I am cutting out some noise, so the SR/F will help in that effort. Ride an eMC and you will notice the difference in the noise level.

The SR/f is fast if that's how you ride it. I am mainly on back roads well under highway speeds.

Last edited by GSXDude; 08-02-2019 at 03:46 PM.
post #12 of 32 Old 08-02-2019, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Garage
Yes

Slow is fast
post #13 of 32 Old 08-02-2019, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Some of the time. Lost the total hearing in my right ear in my 20s due to an ear infection. The hearing loss does come in handy at times when driving in the car. Lol

Worst thing is trying to find a cordless phone when it's ringing.
oldjackbob likes this.

2016 GSXS1000F
2007 Honda VTX 1800F3

post #14 of 32 Old 08-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It is not about the noise from the bike,...... it is wind noise. The human head was not designed to cut through the wind at these speeds, and the ear simply has no defense against it without hearing protection. It does not hurt. No warning. By the time one realizes it, it is too late and hearing loss is irreversible, and the most common excuse is '...it does not bother me', according with Motorcycle magazines.

At 40 mph (64 kmh) wind noise is passing 90db which is beyond what the OSHA allows in the US at the workplace without hearing protection, for prolonged period of time.

….I discovered had acquired tinnitus after just a 15 miles (24 km) motorcycle ride without hearing protection. Now I insert ear plugs even to ride around the block. It may be an inconvenient to put them on, but a whole lot better than going deaf.

…..the plus side is; with ear plugs, everything gets quiet and relax, you can actually hear the engine,....and the best analogy is; like the difference between going in the highway with windows rolled down in a car, and windows up and A/C on. The ear plugs are actually noise filters, not plugs. Riding is not longer that pleasant, unless I have them on.
mike d and oldjackbob like this.

Last edited by hugojose; 08-02-2019 at 06:38 PM.
post #15 of 32 Old 08-02-2019, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
It's the one thing I can't ride without. Riding at anything more than 60km/hr without them is painful after having worn them for the past few years. I use custom molded plugs made by an ear mould Australia provider. I can still hear my new cardo freedom 4+ through them at highway speeds.
mike d and oldjackbob like this.

When life throws you curves, lean into them.
post #16 of 32 Old 08-02-2019, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
always have and always will...wind noise drives me crazy, foam ears plugs work great and I can still hear the M4 exhaust just fine, as can everyone else within a 5 mile radius.

2016 GSX S1000
2001 ZX6R
1988 Honda XR250
2001 Yamaha Kodiak 400
post #17 of 32 Old 08-03-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Yes, always. Once upon a time my ears were critical for the work I was doing, so I am conditioned. Out of habit I still wear plugs for mundane tasks like mowing the lawn and air travel. I recently drove a few highway hours in my Jeep Wrangler - had the doors and top off - and when I got to my destination I could tell my ears weren't happy. So on the return trip I wore plugs.

"...And miles to go before I sleep."

Shock swap video/howto: https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/suspe...r-install.html
post #18 of 32 Old 08-03-2019, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
I used to commute 70 miles each way on the freeway for about a year. Now, I have to crank up most speakers when i want to listen to anything.

Currently, I'm using either Surefire EP7 or Jaybird Freedom F5, both of which are low profile and work great under a helmet.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
post #19 of 32 Old 08-03-2019, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Yes I always wear ear plugs! I can’t ride without them. Wind noise is horrible on your ears! Have read that anything over 70mph is causing irreversible damage. Like others have said you can still hear everything but it filters out soo much of the loud noises. Did ride from a friends house home which is less than 1/2 a mile from my house without them in and it amazed me just how loud it is without them! Just shutting my visor sounded like someone slamming an old storm door!
LEAVEITSTOCK likes this.
post #20 of 32 Old 08-04-2019, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Yes, I wear custom earplugs with built in IEM. Useful for sat navs/speed camera van alerts etc.

It's a bit of a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted as what seems many years ago I was in the Army and worked on tanks. Too macho to wear ear defenders all the time and now get tinnitus and struggle to hear properly in noisy environments like pubs.

Moral of the story, wear ear plugs or spend most of your pub time nodding and pulling what you hope is an appropriate look as you try and guess the missing words.
oldjackbob likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page