GSXS 1000 Forum banner

Suspension settings

112K views 237 replies 79 participants last post by  Suzufasti 
#1 ·
Has anybody done something to the suspension settings yet?
i think the original is too soft.(i am 90+ kg) and she trys to understeer in corners.
i tryed below one which was from a magazin but didnt had a chance to test it properly yet. ill test it this week and let u know.

if someone has any suspension settings suggestions please let me know.;)

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
It's actually not hard to do. With a wheel chock all you need is a buddy to measure. Without wheel chock you need two buddies - one to hold the bike with you sitting on it and the other to measure.
*You will need a spanner wrench for the rear shock - just an FYI. In the case you wanted to try this yourself.

The end result is well worth the efforts.

As mentioned above, hiring a suspension tuner is also a good suggestion.

Nothing like having your bike dialed in perfectly :D
Makes all the difference!

#7 ·
So... I went with:
Rear spreeng orig. 4 My 6
Rear rebund. Orig. 1circle my 0.5 circle

Front preload left as origin
Rebound orig. 8 My 6
Compression orig. 8 My 7

It's good. I just have to work on front a little after few more km.
now she doesn't push the front so much anymore better thrue the corners. Before that I lost the front tire thrue a corner by 130 kmph ( not very nice experience):eek: 0:)

#12 · (Edited)
my friend drives on his FZ1 naked pirelli angel GT(sport turing) and he is very happy with them.
i just want something more sticky for cornering.>:D therefore i think ill go with rosso corsa after the origin are finished.;)

about suspension settings i tested them today and its a whole new bike now ( i think they are perfect now);)

#19 · (Edited)
Back on suspension. Can anyone suggest settings for a 1000F. When delivered dealer had adjusted as follows
Forks -
Preload position 1(softest ) this because I only weigh 68kg
Compression 11 clicks out
Rebound 9 clicks out

Shock
Preload position 2 ( second softest - for my weight again) 3 is stock on F
Rebound 1 1/2 turns out.

Was fine on good roads -but very "pogo stick" like at front on secondary bumpy roads.
I have now experimented a bit, but ended up going closer to stock and now have front rebound 8 out and compression 9 out .
Not convinced yet though, as rear feels soft and front still a bit harsh, so bike does not feel balance front to back.

Any suggestions would be appreciated !!

#20 ·
Here's a tip: only change one setting at a time. Rebounding too fast could mean you are getting the pogo effect you describe, your rebound needs slowing (or harder if you prefer) so adjust only the front one or two clicks at a time until it feels better. Next do the same with the rear.

After that start on compression until you feel it become acceptably compliant over bumps. Keep in mind that you are going for a compromise setting as we don't have high and low speed adjustments.

Before all this set the sag on the bike by adjusting preload. Best achieved with another person to hold the bike. About 30mm is common. All this can be found with a quick Google search to provide various methods to accomplish the above.

#21 ·
As best I can determine I have front sag 31 mm and rear 28 with my reduced preloads

Went out yesterday and tried a few settings - more compliant at front now for my weight - rear actually still feels a bit too soft compared to front

Forks -
Preload position 1(softest )
Compression 12 clicks out
Rebound 10 clicks out

Shock
Preload position 2nd softest
Rebound 1 turns out.(standard)

#22 ·
I too am in Perth, and picking my bike up later this week. I was wondering about best suspension setup, so I'd be keen on any updates you may have.

How much do you weigh? I'll naturally set my sag based on my own riding weight, but I'll likely base my damping settings of yours, if you reckon they're good.

#26 · (Edited)
Did you first lift weight of bike to get full extension? Total sag I measure was from this position to my loaded condition?

I was initially unhappy with rear and a 70 Kg thought I neeed to soften but ended back on 2nd softest and increased damping from stock and heaps better.
The springs are probably a bit stiff for us both , but I think it is the rapid (underdamped) return that makes things seem harsh. I am in Perth so ring me if you want to discuss 0412 477 054

My latest as posted elsewhere===
After much trial and error- biggest thing was it needed more rebound damping not less.
Front preload softest 5 lines showing
Front now 5 clicks out rebound and its like a different bike for my ~70 kg-
Front compression 9 clicks out ( I might tweak this a bit still but think it is close and not that far from stock setting )
Sag with rider 31 mm

Rear Preload 2nd softest
Compression/ rebound 3/4 out ( so again more damping)- With my preload the rear initially felt too soft - now fine
Sag with rider 28 mm

#27 ·
I just got my suspension professionally set up earlier this week and it has done wonders. I'm 170lbs in gear and about 50/50 commute/hard riding in the canyons.

When i get home i will post the exact changes we made. The fronts were almost perfect for me straight out of the box, just need some rebound adjustment but sag was spot on. The rear was pretty soft, so we tightened it up a bit. Il let back with numbers shortly.

#28 ·
Ok so when i got my suspension sorted, we changed:

Rear
Preload increased 2 ramps
Rebound increased 3/4 turn

Front
Compression increased 2 clicks
Rebound decreased 3 clicks.

For myself, 170lbs in gear, with my riding 50/50 commuting/canyons, this is close to perfect. the rear was noticeably harsher while cruising at first, but seeing what it does to tie things up in the twisties is well worth it. Understeer dialed out, and the front and rear are now balanced. The don't was near perfect already, so we just stiffened compression a little too limit brake dive.

Getting your suspension well set up for you and a good set of tires will likely be the best money you can spend for this bike.

#30 ·
New Shock

Given up with the rear shock, just not comfortable over bumps and couldn't set it up to how I ride. It seems OK on smooth tarmac, all this has been said before I'm sure . Anyway since aftermarket exhaust is pointless and expensive I have bought a nitron sport shock instead with the money . The difference is just amazing , holds a tight line and so comfortable over bumps . It's been sprung to my weight and always feels planted no matter where I'm riding . I can feel the edge of the tyre when leant over... best buy ever .....

#32 ·
Given up with the rear shock, just not comfortable over bumps and couldn't set it up to how I ride. It seems OK on smooth tarmac, all this has been said before I'm sure . Anyway since aftermarket exhaust is pointless and expensive I have bought a nitron sport shock instead with the money . The difference is just amazing , holds a tight line and so comfortable over bumps . It's been sprung to my weight and always feels planted no matter where I'm riding . I can feel the edge of the tyre when leant over... best buy ever .....
Which one?

#31 ·
im going to have to weigh myself with gear on but im a fatty at 100-105kg without gear. Lets hope some tweaks help out. I cant believe ive not changed them after 1800 miles but may have a play this weekend.

Im useless at setting these things up. Anyone of a similar weight got some settings to aim for?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.