• 2 Post By Kiwi Geoff
  • 1 Post By SteveW19

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Rear shock options - choices, preferences, results?

Hi guys,

The biggest issue with the stock unit for me is its lack of compression damping, and high speed damping in particular.

To date I can only find Hyperpro and Nitron offering aftermarket shocks. I have experience with neither of these makes, however the Hyperpro does off high/low compression damping.

Has anyone here swapped out their shock yet? Could you provide the usual feedback and impressions of your new unit?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 12-15-2015, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
I have a penske, and I'm sure they will offer fitment for this bike. Its a great shock, and unlike some of the others, is really easy to get service for.

What you'll find on these is that they are all very, very similar. High quality costs money, and all the mentioned brands are good. Depending on where your at, service can be tough to find, or you may find only one place dealing in that brand.

Like it or hate it is entirely based on who sets it up.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't done anything about the shock on the GSX-S yet but had a Nitron on my Street Triple and a Penske on the Blackbird. Both excellent quality and made a huge difference compared with the OEM units. In both cases they were sprung and valved for my weight and set up for the conditions I use them in.

As a matter of interest, after fitting the Penske to the Blackbird, I averaged an additional 2000 km tyre life compared with the OEM setup as the tyres were no longer having to compensate for a budget shock.
rcannon409 and 17105 like this.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I've got a Nitron NTR2 (remote reservoir version) on order but don't expect to see it until next month, reviews on this unit have been excellent and it comes recommended by one of the top suspension guys over here. Happy to give feedback once it's in use
Jaked likes this.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW19 View Post
I've got a Nitron NTR2 (remote reservoir version) on order but don't expect to see it until next month, reviews on this unit have been excellent and it comes recommended by one of the top suspension guys over here. Happy to give feedback once it's in use
Did they give an indication of how long it takes to build and ship the shock once ordered? The Suspension guru's near me wanted $800 to rebuild the rear shock or $1800 to get a matris unit. Nitron NTR2 would cost about $1000 AUD going from the webshop in the UK.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehead1 View Post
Did they give an indication of how long it takes to build and ship the shock once ordered? The Suspension guru's near me wanted $800 to rebuild the rear shock or $1800 to get a matris unit. Nitron NTR2 would cost about $1000 AUD going from the webshop in the UK.
Hi it sounds like they ship in batches over here (NZ) to my supplier which makes sense to keep costs down. Yes it would work out around $1000 Aussie - think it's around $1200 NZ from memory.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I had a quote for the Hyperpro unit at about $1200-something shipped. I'd like to cap the cost at a grand but maybe that is too optimistic.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Jaked, if you really like the bike, well, even at that...If you really want your bike to be 100%, just get it. Soon you'll forget how much it cost and you'll still be riding on an amazing shock.

I recommend getting the brand thats popular your country. Here in the usa, penske is very popular and we have all kinds of service centers to choose from. If hyperpro is popular where your at, than by all means do that.

One nice feature to have is adjustable shock length. Spend enough to get that. By that level, preload, compression and rebound will be there, too.

The length adjust is very nice because it allows you to set the spring tension perfectly, AND have independent control over rear ride height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in