• 1 Post By DTM74

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-06-2016, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake bleeding - zip tied

Raplaced the pads and couldn't squeeze the piston back so I had to bleed the fluid. End off with a spongy brake. I tried to bleed it twice with little improvement. Read couple forums and decided to try the zip tied over night. People said something about the rubber parts damage with extended high pressure. Anyone has experience with this method?
post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Garage
You should always push the piston back with the reservoir either cracked open or with the top off, just do it slowly so it doesn't overflow. If you have a mushy brake you have air in the lines, which you most likely know. If you have a MityVac pump you can bleed the whole system without any bubbles in a few minutes (assuming you don't let the reservoir go dry). If you're doing it the long way by cracking the bleeder, topping of the master cylinder, and repeating, it's really easy to get air in the lines if you let the master cylinder go dry. Did you bleed the master cylinder at the bars first and then the calipers or just the calipers?

You just have to keep bleeding until you get the bubbles out. Easiest if you take the calipers off the front wheel and hold them up by the bars (I personally use a bit of wire around a grip to do so), then you're letting the bubbles float up with the current and the force of the fluid to push them out even quicker.
vnuh likes this.

Previous Rides:
2012 CBR250R
2014 CBR500R (ABS)
2016 FZ-07

Current Rides:
2016 GSX-S1000 (ABS)
2016 CB300F
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2016, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
After you bleed the brakes, zip tie the brake lever as if you were applying the brakes. Leave the lever ziptied over night. This should force any air to the top of the master cylinder and should help you with your mushy lever.
vnuh likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2016, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnuh View Post
Raplaced the pads and couldn't squeeze the piston back so I had to bleed the fluid. End off with a spongy brake. I tried to bleed it twice with little improvement. Read couple forums and decided to try the zip tied over night. People said something about the rubber parts damage with extended high pressure. Anyone has experience with this method?

It may help if you slightly release the master cyl hose banjo bolt. Sometimes air can get trapped there too, and bleeding won't shift it.
Just loose enough to make it weep (with a catch rag) while you squeeze the lever and release the banjo bolt just like the process down at the wheel end.
Wash down well with water obviously very soon after.

Rob.
vnuh likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoAJ View Post
You should always push the piston back with the reservoir either cracked open or with the top off, just do it slowly so it doesn't overflow. If you have a mushy brake you have air in the lines, which you most likely know. If you have a MityVac pump you can bleed the whole system without any bubbles in a few minutes (assuming you don't let the reservoir go dry). If you're doing it the long way by cracking the bleeder, topping of the master cylinder, and repeating, it's really easy to get air in the lines if you let the master cylinder go dry. Did you bleed the master cylinder at the bars first and then the calipers or just the calipers?

You just have to keep bleeding until you get the bubbles out. Easiest if you take the calipers off the front wheel and hold them up by the bars (I personally use a bit of wire around a grip to do so), then you're letting the bubbles float up with the current and the force of the fluid to push them out even quicker.
Bumping an old thread but thanks for the advice...was going to to bleed the brakes next weekend and I noticed the bleeders face into the wheel, never seen that before. It would be much easier to take the calipers off. Was thinking, how am I going to get my paws in there with a wrench?, LOL
ChicagoAJ likes this.

'17 Husky 701 SM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page