LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 169 Old 03-02-2019, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjackbob View Post
If I'm reading it correctly the product page on Ohlin's website says that shock has adjustable rebound and compression:

https://www.ohlins.com/product/stx46...formance-line/
adjustable rebound and non-adjustable compression damping

Everywhere you look in Ohlins literature its different, some places say only adjustable rebound on a STX46, some say adjustable compression and rebound

Its very confusing as the same "product" STX46 is different in different applications

Most of the supersport ones with external reservoir have both damping types adjustable but the GSXS version with no reservoir only has adjustable rebound

Last edited by PhuketPaul; 03-02-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #112 of 169 Old 03-03-2019, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
I've got the Wilbur 641 with remote reservoir (under the seat) ; it came adjusted for my weight and it is excellent; is there someone who will sell on the old shock which is literally shocking.
post #113 of 169 Old 03-03-2019, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
You will find it is the best thing you have done and transforms the bike to something you love instead of a bumpy bitch
mike d likes this.

post #114 of 169 Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
See what you guys made me do?!?! I just bought one.
Hey Mike , how do you like it so far. More comfortable ride? I知 seriously contemplating a Razor R but it is a chunk of change. I知 sitting on a Saddlemen gel seat and that helped but I usually do a five hour loop ride and the jittery/harsh nature of the stock shock is getting to my old bones. Otherwise I love this bike just looking for a bit more plush.

Thanks
mike d likes this.
post #115 of 169 Old 05-22-2019, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Hey Mike , how do you like it so far. More comfortable ride? I知 seriously contemplating a Razor R but it is a chunk of change. I知 sitting on a Saddlemen gel seat and that helped but I usually do a five hour loop ride and the jittery/harsh nature of the stock shock is getting to my old bones. Otherwise I love this bike just looking for a bit more plush.

Thanks
Well, I got it installed when there was a break in the weather and since then the weather has been mostly dumping rain, so I probably have about 2 weeks worth of commuting and a couple longer rides on it. The commute, with some horrible high speed bumps and crevasses gives me a good reference for comparison though. I had it installed by MotoStation, and they did a fantastic job and even set up the front suspension and front and rear sag for me after the install. The shock was set to 7 clicks out (out of 30) for compression damping from them or the factory - don't know which, because I didn't check it before the install. Also, they are track racers, so they probably like things a little stiffer than my commute over the crap. My initial reaction was that it was way better than OEM, but still a little stiff. I dialed out the compression to a little over half way (I'm a light weight) and it soaked up the bumps much better, but felt a little less firm than I liked, so I dialed it back to 14 clicks out, which feels like a great compromise and is where I have it now. Worlds better than stock, and seems to work with the front in unison. I know it's a big investment, but it seems very high quality, and is very adjustable. The external compression damping adjustment can make the ride about as cushy or firm as you might want. I like it a lot.
Rusty and Beaker like this.
post #116 of 169 Old 05-23-2019, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Nothing beats a good shock.
I've just got back from a 600 plus ride around the Yorkshire Dales and everybody who followed me commented on how settle my bike looked compared to theirs when we were going over the shall we say "lesser used roads" It also gives a greater level of safety as your balance, stability and braking are all more composed when the wheels spend more time in contact with the road.
Enjoy!
Rusty, mike d and oldjackbob like this.

Pull my finger
post #117 of 169 Old 05-23-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
You guys have me convinced. I am going to do it. (Come on stock market!)

The Razor R options for total weight are 120-150 pounds and 160-190 pounds (and more). I gathered up all the stuff I ride with including bag with plug kit and pump and was surprised that the scale read 160 even though I only weigh 137. That stuff is heavy. So I guess I will go with the 160-190 pound option and back off the spring preload I imagine.
mike d likes this.
post #118 of 169 Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You guys have me convinced. I am going to do it. (Come on stock market!)

The Razor R options for total weight are 120-150 pounds and 160-190 pounds (and more). I gathered up all the stuff I ride with including bag with plug kit and pump and was surprised that the scale read 160 even though I only weigh 137. That stuff is heavy. So I guess I will go with the 160-190 pound option and back off the spring preload I imagine.
That's the option I went with and I'm 150 - no gear. You could probably get away with the 160-190 if you don't ride two up. Set the pre-load for proper sag.
Rusty likes this.
post #119 of 169 Old 05-24-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I will try another few tweaks to my standard shock before I go for the Nitron etc. Its just annoying at the expense of this stuff, I bought a full Bilstein kit (4 shocks and springs) for my BMW 240 for 」700.
oldjackbob likes this.
post #120 of 169 Old 06-13-2019, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I have a penske 8983 from my CBR600rr, can you guys show me where you guys mounted your reservoirs?
I used to have it mounted on my pillion foot rest but I want to maintain my pillion footrests on the gsxs.

I've heard some mounted in the seat, some mounted in the pillion seat. Just want to see my options

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page