GSXS 1000 Forum banner

new shock time which one?

56K views 177 replies 52 participants last post by  Pires 
#1 ·
yss £290 or £460 with remote preload adjuster

nitron r1 £438
hyperpro £398.
so which should i go far ive had a yss on my z1000sx bulit to my specs and it was good.

just cant make my mind up. not into track riding but like fast road riding. i find the standard shock on bumpy roads turns the bike into a bucking bronco

#2 ·
Can't compare to any others, but I've been very happy with my Nitron R1. Not a racer but do enjoy spirited riding in the twisties. It really helped with the jarring road buckles.

#4 ·
i have a yss dealer. who i can take the bike to and get the shock made and fitted. i rung hyperpro and they want another 160 on top because i take our lass 40% of the time. the shock above needs revalving for higher weights. so thats that one out. the yss is drawing me in with it have a preload adjuster aswell for that price

#5 ·
Nitron NTR-1 transformed my bike - fast road riding only. Mine only cost £429. Aug 2017 direct from Nitron. I backed the damping off 2 clicks to get a bit softer ride.

#12 ·
I'd like a new rear shock but for everyday riding. I let 'er rip sometimes and love pushing it a bit in the twisties but 90% of time I ride sanely and would like a smoother ride. Nitron might be a bit of overkill. Any ideas?

#14 ·
Mine is dialed as soft as it’ll go and is still a piece of junk. Struggles to keep the tire in decent contact with the road surface. Fronts to stiff fjr me as well and it’s backed out in preload as far as it’ll go. Biggest issue with the front is the compression rate is way off, to harsh.

135 lbs and both ends of the bike are just not good for me. K-Tech front cartridges on my race bike are really nice and the SDS rear shock is bad to the bone. The setup cost me $3500 so it better work right and it does. Can’t see throwing that kind of money at the budget GSX though. $800 rear shock might just happen however.

#16 ·
You don't have to remove the shock to adjust preload (at least not on the Nitron), but without the remote, it's going to be a bit of a pain and something you probably don't want to do often. If it were me, and I just couldn't save a few more dollars for the remote adjuster, I'd find a happy medium and leave it there.

#22 · (Edited)
When you did the front, did you just revalve or did you all change out springs too? I'm guessing the springs are fine...sag is doable as is?

As much as I would like a remote reservoir with the rear I think I'll end up without, the nitron cheapest option looks good enough for me...I assume you can still adjust it fairly quickly with a tool?

#26 ·
Yes, but with modifications

I fitted an Ohlins TTX GP shock from a GSXR1000 2009-2016, It needs some modifications to the chassis and the standard shock as opposed to the ohlins (adjustable length) is about 12mm too short, thus lowering the bike. But the Ohlins is awesome ;)

Also R1 and ZX-10 shocks will fit with mods, but again too short

#28 ·
I installed a Ohlins SU360 TTX series from the GSX, similar to phucketpaul. This one comes with an adjustable rod end so that you can adjust height to any level you like. The shock is expensive, I bought it brand new, but it's well worth it. I'm 155lbs and my bike is nearing 390lbs, there is no way the stock suspension was going to do anything for me. Even in stock trim, the bike was unrideable and dangerous. I plan to keep that bike for a long time and I would never try to save money on such a critical component. With its adjutability, the ohlins is a pure blessing.

#30 ·
Put the button r3. No ohlins we’re available at the time. Use it for spirited street and advanced group track time. It’s kept the rear tire in good contact with the road for my needs. One of the necessary upgrades to this bike. Stock shock didn’t have the adjustments I needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.