User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-15-2018, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Brake Lever Warning

This has been reported elsewhere but bears repeating: improperly installed front brake levers can lead to unpredictable brake lockup.

I bought some cheap eBay levers for my GSXS 1000F and the install went fine. Hand pull a bit stiff on the front brake which I chalked up to the hardware break-in. Twenty minutes into my first ride the bike abruptly felt like losing power forcing a hail mary pull over, front brakes smoking hot.

Punchline: If the master cylinder plunger tip does not seat properly in the brake handle floating barrel recess, it will not be able to fully extend and pressure will build in the front brake hydraulics leading to drag and lockup of the front wheel. Many point to the cheap levers (may be), but I would advise meticulous attention to property seating the plunger tip in any replacement lever. See
for a related video. Ride safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0590.jpg (115.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0591.jpg (88.6 KB, 48 views)
post #2 of 3 Old 04-15-2018, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
You are right. I am very opposed to those who buy important parts such as brake / clutch levers or the footrests of the bike trying to save money and take accessories of dubious quality. Me on the gsx-s I took the levers from the full IRC components while on my previous kawasaki I had the extreme components evo 2. We talk about levers of 200 euros or more but that are made from a single piece made from solid, quality materials and tested before putting them on the market. In my opinion it is right to save when looking for exhaust manifolds, exhaust terminals, etc. .... But not on the safety devices of the bike as well as brakes and tires.
This is how I see it.

Gassssssss........................
post #3 of 3 Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
ive found with the levers ive had. and are using at the mo. i had to drill the hole a little bit bigger. so the plunger fits better. ive had four sets on different bike and not had any problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Suzuki GSXS1000 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page